True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  12:47:36 PM  Show Profile
I love it Denise!!..

& Julie.. the Despair Barrell!! That's Awesome!

I think it's wonderful how we all hold the same values in them.. & keep them so close to our hearts.. & they can have so many different names.. & come in so many shapes , sizes & even different Mediums even!

But they all mean the same to us.. Hope.. & Growth & Future..
or.. Later.. Memories!!

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..

Edited by - Kathie on Oct 02 2007 12:48:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

KellyA
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Kelly
Johnsonville NY
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  1:51:06 PM  Show Profile  Send KellyA an AOL message
I also got a Lane cedar hope chest when I was 16. My mom took great pains to make sure it was filled with wonderful stuff before I got married...dishes, some linens, kitchen gadgets...I don't remember what else, but I still have and use my chest in my room. It has my wedding ring pillow that my mom made for me, some old crocheted doilies that I treasure, some infant memorabilia of my son's, and some of my memorabilia from the army. I didn't have a girl, but if I had, she would also have had a hope chest for all her treasured memories.

Kelly
When a cookbook is in hand, life is good!
Go to Top of Page

Kati
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Kati
North Pole AK
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2007 :  11:33:12 AM  Show Profile
My parents gave me a Lane cedar chest when I graduated from HS. But as I was already 5 months prego. with my dd, we didn't have time to fill it with hand-made goods. Most of what went in was corelle ware china & pots & pans & silverware, some store-bought dishcloths. I did have an afghan my grandmother had made me as a girl, but that was pretty well all. Now it sits in my bedroom and holds some keepsakes (a couple of special outfits from my daughter, the "champagne" flutes & cake knife & server from my wedding, a couple of seldom-used afghans, a baby-doll outfit that I'd made for one of my daughtter's dolls, and a whole bunch of books that I don't want to get rid of and yet don't have room for on my (many, many) bookshelves.

My Dad recently gave my daughter my Mom's Lane cedar hope-chest, and for now anyway it's used as a coffee-table in our living-room and holds more throws & some throw pillows. Eventually, when my daughter has outgrown most of her toys, we'll move it into her room & start putting her afghans & special things in there. Though my daughter is very much opposed to the thought of a hope-chest to contain goods for furnishing her own home someday..... She seems to think she's going to live with her dad & I forever. *wink*
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2007 :  12:16:20 PM  Show Profile
I have one of those miniature hope chests that came from my senior year in High School. I still use it! I see them sometimes in antiques stores, and think, oh my, I am an antique now.

Years ago, when everyone would talk about theirs, I always used to kid and say I had a lot of hope, but no chest.

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

sgrbear724
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Rebecca
Tyrone PA
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2007 :  6:44:50 PM  Show Profile
I never had one but I plan on having one for the girls. So far, I have only one girl, so that will be easy!

For the boys-we will be having a toolchest.

Both items will be made from wood-and both will be made by my hubby-and both will be given on their 16th birthdays.

When I was first married, my mother in law bought a chest and filled it with a few things from my husbands' childhood-including a quilt that his grandmother had made him as a boy. I loved it so much I will be carrying on that tradition for my daughters' in law as well! :-)

http:www.zeahrenaissance.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sgrbear724
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Rebecca
Tyrone PA
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2007 :  6:46:04 PM  Show Profile
Didn't read the previous posts until now-glad to know that other ladies out there have thought about their boys as well. Here I thought I was being all inventive! ;-)

http:www.zeahrenaissance.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Who Had a Hope Chest?? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page