Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 JACK AND DAVE TAKING A RIDE.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic JACK AND DAVE TAKING A RIDE. Next Topic  

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  05:37:46 AM  Show Profile
I may have to hire a Nanny to watch Jack and Dave. Nancy is having a little trouble keeping track of them.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  05:45:02 AM  Show Profile
thanks for the early morning smile!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  05:54:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
So how did they get UP there????? Put honey on their paws and climb up the walls??? LOL! I just LOVE Jack and Dave! :D

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  06:00:10 AM  Show Profile
They sure are stinkers! I'd probably be pulling my hair out if I had to keep track of them and their little antics!!!
They're too cute, though, right?

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9357 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9357 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  06:06:06 AM  Show Profile
Apparently Jack and Dave were up a bit earlier too!
Better keep your eye on them today.

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  06:31:10 AM  Show Profile
adorable dolly furniture .. reminds me of my nannie's house in the 1940's. xo

True Friends, Frannie

FREEDOM VALLEY FARM
KENTUCKY

http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  06:35:50 AM  Show Profile
is the little girl in the book .. sarah morgan related to GENERAL MORGAN (from Morgan's Raiders during the Civil War?)

Morgan's Raid was a highly publicized incursion by Confederate cavalry into the Northern states of Indiana and Ohio during the American Civil War. The raid took place from June 11–July 26, 1863, and is named for the commander of the Confederates, Brig. Gen. John Hunt Morgan.

For 46 days as they rode over 1,000 miles (1,600 km), Morgan's Confederates covered a region from Tennessee to northern Ohio. The raid coincided with the Vicksburg Campaign and the Gettysburg Campaign, although it was not directly related to either campaign. However, it served to draw the attention of tens of thousands of Federal troops away from their normal duties and strike fear in the civilian population of several Northern states. Repeatedly thwarted in his attempts to return to the South by hastily positioned Union forces and state militia, Morgan eventually surrendered what was left of his command in northeastern Ohio.

To many Southerners, the daring expedition behind enemy lines became known as The Great Raid of 1863, and was initially hailed in the newspapers. However, along with Gettysburg and Vicksburg, it was another in a string of defeats for the Confederate army that summer. Some Northern newspapers derisively labeled Morgan's expedition as The Calico Raid, in deference to the raiders' propensity for procuring personal goods from local stores and houses.

My area of Kentucky has a little General Morgan history too:

[edit] Tennessee and Kentucky
General Morgan and his 2,460 handpicked Confederate cavalrymen, along with a battery of light artillery, departed from Sparta, Tennessee, on June 11, 1863, intending to divert the attention of the Union Army of the Ohio from Southern forces in the state.[1] Gen. Braxton Bragg, the regional Confederate commander, had intended for Morgan's cavalrymen to provide a distraction by entering Kentucky. Morgan, however, confided to some of his officers that he had long desired to invade Indiana and Ohio to bring the terror of war to the North. Bragg had given him carte blanche to ride throughout Tennessee and Kentucky, but under no circumstances was he to cross the Ohio River.[2] On June 23, the Federal Army of the Cumberland began its operations against General Bragg's Confederate Army of Tennessee in what became known as the Tullahoma Campaign, and Morgan decided it was time to move northward into Kentucky.

On July 2, hoping to disrupt Union communication lines, Morgan rode into Kentucky, where admiring citizens openly welcomed his cavalrymen. Crossing the rain-swollen Cumberland River at Burkesville, Morgan's division advanced to the Green River, where it was deflected by a Union regiment (the 25th Michigan Infantry) at the Battle of Tebbs Bend on July 4. Morgan soon surprised and captured the garrison at Lebanon. He trapped 400 men from the 20th Kentucky in the town's railroad depot, but the well fortified building provided considerable protection. In a sharp six-hour fight, Federal troops killed Morgan's youngest brother Thomas during the final charge. Morgan finally captured and paroled the Federal troops.

A grieving Morgan continued northward towards Louisville, riding through Springfield, Bardstown, and Garnettsville. Along the way, the Confederates endured several more small skirmishes with Federals and Kentucky home guard units. Just south of the city, however, he turned his remaining men to the northwest and headed for the Ohio River.

At Springfield, Morgan sent a detachment north and east of Louisville, with the intention of confusing Union forces as to where Morgan was really heading. This detachment crossed the Ohio River at Twelve Mile Island, but they were captured near New Pekin, Indiana, before they could rejoin Morgan. To further mislead the Federals on his objectives, Morgan had his telegrapher, "Lightning" Ellsworth, tap telegraph lines and, pretending to be a Union telegrapher, send several messages giving different headings for the raiders and false reports of the size of Morgan's force — sometimes reporting it as high as 7,000 men. Ellsworth did this throughout the journey, especially in Indiana.[3]

True Friends, Frannie

FREEDOM VALLEY FARM
KENTUCKY

http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  10:09:46 AM  Show Profile
Those scallywags! Dave looks a little nauseous to me, by the way..... Hugs, Nance
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  12:13:41 PM  Show Profile
I love the Adventures of Jack and Dave. More please!

love,
Patricia

check out my etsy site http://ThePlayfulFarmgirl.etsy.com

Take me home, country roads
Go to Top of Page

vintagegrl
True Blue Farmgirl

280 Posts

Jeanette
NH
USA
280 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  3:40:08 PM  Show Profile
Perhaps you need to write a book: When Good Bears Go Bad...A Cautionary Tale. I keep all my bears in plastic bins, yes I know, one does feel sorry for them cooped up in there, but I know they won't be going bananas when I'm away.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  4:26:01 PM  Show Profile
Jeanette,
I do like that title for a book. I think the boys will be settling down now, even though they are house bears, they get pretty droopy in the winter.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic JACK AND DAVE TAKING A RIDE. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page