Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Gathered Up
 Starting or locating a Farm Girl Chapter?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Gathered Up: Previous Topic Starting or locating a Farm Girl Chapter? Next Topic  

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  1:22:16 PM  Show Profile
How can I locate or start a Farm Girl Chapter in my area?

I'm a little lost on where to start.

Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  6:36:19 PM  Show Profile
Carla, We have a Farmgirl chapter but it would be quite a ways for you to drive. All you need to do to start one is contact CindyLou at Mary Jane's farm. She'll send you a kit and then you just start contacting people to join. I'm actually thinking of organizing a Farmgirl get together for Oregon and Washington Farmgirls later in the fall. I want to meet all these wonderful people that are becoming my friends!

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face."
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  8:32:58 PM  Show Profile
That would be awesome to have a get together like that.
I would be willing to drive for an outting like that but couldn't commit to it on a regular basis.

In thinking about starting a Farm Girl Chapter, I'd have to find other farm girls here as I'm the only farm girl I know in my neck of the woods.

So.....anyone in Oregon out there interested in a get together?

Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  9:29:23 PM  Show Profile
How far is the Washington Chapter from Spokane?

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive. James Stewart in the movie HARVEY
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  10:02:23 PM  Show Profile
We're clear down in the in the SW corner of the state -- right across from Portland.

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face."
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  10:24:05 PM  Show Profile
Oh bummer!

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive. James Stewart in the movie HARVEY
Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  11:19:29 AM  Show Profile
Kay -

This might be a dumb question but what sorts of things do you and the other farm girls get together to do?

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  2:59:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi Carla -- our group started out as a crafting group. We got together once a month, each time at a different person's house, to make crafts. Whoever was hosting the night had to come up with the craft and teach the rest of us to do something. Missy taught us how to make collage art cards, we did sugar body scrubs and bath fizzies one night, at my house we made our Farmgirl aprons and linen water, and last week we did grapevine herb wreaths. Once I found out about having a Farmgirl chapter it was the natural thing for us to turn our group into one! So we have acquired two new members and are up to 6 now. We will also be working on a service project in the Fall -- one of our members is a court advocate for children -- we're making baby and snuggle blankets for children that have been taken from meth addicted parents and are now in foster care. And eventually we'd like to do a Farmer's Market type sale a couple of times a year. But mostly we just get together to share good food, a little wine, and spend time laughing together. I leave our monthly get togethers with my batteries re-charged and a smile on my face from being with my Farmgirl friends!

--Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  8:30:30 PM  Show Profile
That sounds so wonderful. I especially like the idea of the blankets for those kiddos! Ooooh the wine sounded good too! I have so much "whine" at my house with the my two boys....I could use a little laughter & wine time with the girlies.

If you ever have a spot for a visitor in your group, I'd love to come check it out sometime.

Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  9:14:58 PM  Show Profile
Carla -- visitors are always welcome. The more, the merrier!!! We'd love to have you. Not sure when the August meeting will be (usually the 3rd Monday) but we're meeting at Missy's house and making the wire candle chandelier that is on the Farmgirl calendar.

--Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  07:01:59 AM  Show Profile
If it's during the week I will likely not be able to attend...bummer. There is a Farm Girl calendar?

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page

Cindylou
Farmgirl at Heart

243 Posts

Cindylou
Moscow Idaho
243 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  10:54:59 AM  Show Profile
Good morning Farmgirls!! I am delighted to hear that you all are thinking of having a Washington chapter gathering!
Thank you all for your patience! Carol and I were beginning to work on setting up a chapter leader list on the website just before she injured her eye. She is now recuperating after having surgery. Soon you will be able to search for a chapter by state or zip code, as well as sign up to be a chapter leader directly from the website.
Whimsy_girl Bobbi ~ Celeste Shaw is a chapter leader in Spokane. She is awesome! I met her at the Farm Chicks Antique Show in Fairfield, WA on May 24th. She is a trauma nurse by day and farmgirl extraordinaire the rest of the time. She had a fabulous booth, fun, funky antiques and gorgeous aprons. I wear mine all the time ~ it is made out of a fabulous vintage print. Contact Celeste at farawaydoc@msn.com if you are interested in joining her chapter.

FlipFlopFarmer Carla ~ As Kay mentioned,please send me an e-mail and I'll get you set up with your own chapter leader kit. You could still meet the other gals to "cross-pollinate" and share ideas!
cindylou@maryjanesfarm.org

Following is the letter I send to farmgirls interested in becoming a chapter leader. You can be a chapter of one or many ~ this is a way to gather up and connect farmgirls in the city or at their place at the end of the road.

Hi Farmgirl!! I am delighted that you are interested in joining in as a Chapter leader ~
The Farmgirl Chapter Kits are ready! I will have Beth send yours out from the publisher in New York City.
Let the fun begin! As a Chapter Leader you can name and design your chapter to suit your fancy. You can be a chapter of one or many, the creative possibilities are endless.
At least once a month we will be in touch via e-mail with your chapter, delivering some MaryJanesFarm news, gathering ideas, and like busy bees, doing some “cross-pollination.” Hopefully you and the other Chapter Leaders will let us know what you are up to so we can share Farmgirl Chapter news as well.
All I need to get this all going is your mailing address, phone number and e-mail you want to use for chapter correspondence. Of course, this information will not be shared with anyone else or for any other purpose.
Please let me know if you have questions or concerns.
This is going to be a lot of fun!!
Sunnily yours,
Cindylou

MaryJane's Left-Hand Farmgirl
Cindylou
cindylou@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

DeborahJean
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Deborah
Spokane WA
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  7:21:47 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for this info, Cindylou. As a soon-to-be for-real farmgirl in Davenport (near Spokane), I was excited to hear there is a chapter there, and just send Celeste an email. Bobbi, I hope you do too, and we can all have a chance to meet each other one of these days soon.

A combined WA/OR gathering sounds like fun too!!

Deborah
Go to Top of Page

Daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Daisy
Thistle Sprig Farm NW Indiana
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2005 :  07:51:43 AM  Show Profile
How do I locate a chapter near me. I am around the Lafayette Area in Indiana
Go to Top of Page

LaSunshine
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Dawn
Lake Charles LA
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2005 :  11:37:15 AM  Show Profile
Is there anyone in southwest Louisiana interested in starting a Farmgirl chapter?
Go to Top of Page
  Gathered Up: Previous Topic Starting or locating a Farm Girl Chapter? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page