lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2007 :  10:37:25 AM  Show Profile
I was wondering what you all did to dress up canned green beans. I have loads of them that I canned from the garden, but am getting a little bored with them. What to do?

Thanks,
Toni

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2007 :  12:22:27 PM  Show Profile
Well, for sure there is the always delectable mushroom soup and (canned) onion ring recipe...I LOVE that one. But you can add chopped peppers to them. Or fry some bacon, chop it into bits and saute some chopped onion in the bacon grease and then put in your beans. This is good, too, but you gotta watch the bacon...cholesterol and all that. Or add onion and bits of chopped ham-just a little to flavor it. You can do a sweet and sour if you like that flavor. Also, don't try to eat them all at once - it will be a long winter and you will look forward to them in February and March! Enjoy!

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  07:17:56 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Honey...I canned 54 pints of beans and there are only two of us. Well, three, but the babe only eats a couple. So I've got beans aplenty!! Thanks for the tips, I might try some sweet and sour tonight. YumYumYum.
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  09:01:01 AM  Show Profile
Toni,
my address is....kidding! Although have you thought about checking around for other
people near you who have other produce or items you could trade for? Also, save some of those beauties for giving as Christmas gifts, just tie a pretty ribbon around the jar and you'll be amazed how many people will appreciate the bounty!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Green Bean Recipes? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page