True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Roberta
Joshua Tree, CA
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2004 :  10:38:30 AM  Show Profile

Hi,

Thought i would share something that i learned at a Backcountry Horsemen of California Rendezvous last year. I finally gathered the things i needed and used it on a camping trip this past weekend.

When we camp with livestock out in the wilderness we normally run what is called a highline to tether the stock. A highline can be difficult for some people to get up and tied right so that the livestock doesn't pull it down by placing stress on it through pulling, etc. The beauty of the system i have been taught (thank you Pete Kriger) is that is very easy for the "knot challenged" and it can be used for much more than a highline. It can also be used to pull a load or to lift a load. I have friends who have used this system to move and lift heavy sections of pipe fence panels.

The components can be a bit pricey at first unless you know someone who is a rock climber or if you live in an area where i live, rock climbing is a popular sport. Sometimes rock climbers will give away retired equipment which is fine for my use BUT if you are going to use this system to move something really heavy i suggest high quality, new equipment and high tensile rope. The basic components could comprise what is known by rock climbers as a rescue kit. I got some of my components through REI because i had some bonus $$$ coming to me as a member of REI. For the system, strong rope is needed. If using rock climbing rope make sure it is STATIC rope, can also use braided polyester or braided polypropylene. It depends on the load you want to move or lift. The rope should be marked with its tensile strength. For my highline this weekend i used some rope called Better than Manilla which is often used as sling ropes to tie the packs onto the packsaddle when packing with livestock.

The other parts to the system are carabiners and rescue pulleys which are used in rock climbing. You don't want to use the wimpy, little, pretend carabiners like they sell at Wally World because they would not be safe to use under this type of pressure.

You can view drawings and photos of this system at one of my Yahoo albums called Using Leverage:

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/desertmulesjt/album?.tok=phSycSBBrGhLNl1U&.dir=/3f61&.src=ph

Photo and drawing credit to Pete Kriger and Stacy Gebhardts

From my favorite coffee cup:
"A gal's gotta do what a gal's gotta do." Minnie Cody, 1901

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  3:57:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi Roberta
The link doesn't work today. I was looking to see if what you call a high line is what I learnt as a hitch rack?
How much do you carry for your horses like for first aid?
Go to Top of Page

HiDez Gal
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Roberta
Joshua Tree, CA
USA
122 Posts

Posted - May 08 2006 :  11:02:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi,

Better late than never to reply - sorry been away from the site for a while. I don't know what a hitch rack is but a highline is stretched at a height between two trees (with tree savers to keep the bark from being damaged. The horses are fastened into the highline while camping. This allows them some freedom of movement rather than being just tied to the horse trailer or a hitching rail, etc.

What I carry for first aid depends on the trip. I usually carry a basic first aid kit - vet wrap, a sanitary napkin in case I need something for pressure bandage in case of a serious cut, small scissors, tape and something to clean wounds. Here in the desert we carry a rat tail comb in case we need to remove cholla cactus. On long trips I carry lots more: paste bute, banamine, hot and cold packs, thermometer, stethoscope, salve in case of rope burns, electrolytes. I'm sure there are a few things more but can't recall off the top of my head and I'm not where my list of stuff that I pack is located.

I checked the link this morning and it seems to be working but maybe it is just working for me since it is my account so if someone has a problem using it email me from the forum by clicking on my name.

Roberta

From my favorite coffee cup:
"A gal's gotta do what a gal's gotta do." Minnie Cody, 1901
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Using Leverage Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page