Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 What to do when you have a black thumb???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic What to do when you have a black thumb??? Next Topic  

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  05:19:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
I can't grow anything except cucumbers and squash. I kill every other plant, veggie, and herb I try. I even kill hardy plants and shrubs! Help!! What do y'all reccommend for a person who likes flowers, veggies, and herbs but kills everything?? I live in a sandy area and I have even tried to till up the "soil" and put in good soil, fertilizer, and I would water and feed properly. No luck.

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  07:05:54 AM  Show Profile
Buy some green thumb polish? Or silk flowers and plants? Sorry, could not resist.

Still it sounds like you are not the problem, it may just be the soil in your area. Are you in a new development where they did not lay down proper topsoil, or it may just be way too sandy. Look around your area at your friends and neighbors houses and see what plants are thriving in their yards, or check with local garden centers who have plants that are acclimated to your area.

Good luck and don't stop trying!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  07:06:14 AM  Show Profile
read! read! read! ALL ABOUT WHAT YOU WANT TO PLANT. tammy darlin' .. i discovered after YEARS of thinking my thumbs and all my fingers were BLACK .. that i couldn't grow anything but hair on my own head! but .. i did some 'research' and read a lot .. and asked friends here in kentucky .. what grows best here .. i also visited our local 'agricultural extension service'for advice .. and now .. i get great gardens! WELL .. except this year my squash and zucchinni fizzled .. but then so did lots of kentuckians ... it was soooooooo hot and dry! but another word (in addition to RESEARCH is PERSEVERENCE .. oh .. and PATIENCE.

hope you have a bountiful garden next year! xo

True Friends, Frannie

FREEDOM VALLEY FARM
KENTUCKY

http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  07:51:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
Thanks ladies - This community used to be beach vacation cottages about 40 years ago. Everyone has the sand issue. My MIL lives around the corner and can grow anything! I have been to the farmers co- op and bought stuff, but no luck. I guess I'll check out what my MIL grows and research here online. Somethins gotta work around here!

Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  08:26:17 AM  Show Profile
Compost, compost and more compost! Also, I would pick up an inexpensive pH test kit at a garden store. It's possible your soil might be acidic and need lime, but test first. This is a good time of year to lime your soil and let it sit over the winter.
If you have anyone near you with horses, a good layer of horse manure with straw over the winter, to be tilled in in the spring will help.
Di

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  1:13:14 PM  Show Profile
Talk to your local nurseries and see what native plants they suggest for your area. Start small, very small to begin with and build up from there. Also, test your soil. You may not be the problem, your soil could be the kiss of death instead. Have fun & always keep trying!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  7:55:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
I'll give it a try. If nothing grows then I am digging a hole, filling it with water, and putting up a pretty umbrella and lawn chair to sit on...lol

Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  10:40:48 PM  Show Profile
I'm from Virginia originally off the Chesapeake Bay, and am familiar with trying to grow stuff in sandy soil. If you are located on the Bay side of Maryland, the water is salty. It is possible that you may have too much salt in your soil, but check with your local field extension office. Also check with your local nurseries too, because they will know what grows in your area.

It may also be that your soil drains too fast and doesn't hold enough water. Your nursery can help you with soil testing and also give you some plants and/or supplements that will help build up the soil. Composting cannot be stressed too much.

It may also be a matter of trying to grow the wrong plants for your area. The field service will know if there are specific varieties that grow better there and also which pests and bugs are hitting.

We finally ended up with a great garden but it required years of compost from our horse stalls, lots of leaves and other organic matter. My father also got better results with raised beds which were built up at least 12 inches. And some types of veggies just never grew well at all. Skip them and go with what works. Maybe you can trade the extras with someone who has better luck with the plants you can't grow.

Or try starting out with seedlings from the nursery. Here in TX I always buy tomatoes as seedlings - there is a brand of seedlings that Home Depot sells that are very sturdy and hardy plants. Mine started from seeds never get that strong and these are started earlier than mine so they have fruit much much earlier.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  05:24:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
Thanks for the advice Erin. I'm going to try all of the suggestions and see how it goes!

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic What to do when you have a black thumb??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page