New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic The Education of Little Tree Next Topic  

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  5:39:33 PM  Show Profile
For those of you that know this book, read it again. For those of you that don't , run don't walk to reserve it at the library if they don't have it. It is the autobiographical remembrances of the author, Forrest Carter as he grew up w/ Eastern Cherokee Hill country grandparents during the 1930's. Keep a box of kleenex nearby, you will need it. For those of you that watched Into The West this is an accounting of the integration of native american children into white society and school. It is endearing, heartbreaking, and you will remember these characters forever.

"Gramma said when you come on something good, first thing to do is share it with whoever you can find; that way, the good spreads out where no telling it will go. Which is right."
"The Education of Little Tree" by Forrest Carter

I know they made it into a movie a few years back with James Cromwell ( the farmer in Babe) but I never got to see it. I do make this a required read for extra credit and alot of the kids tell me that this was the best book they read all year.Hope you like it, it's a quick read but will keep you thinking!

with a happy heart

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  5:55:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the recommendation, Bramble! My library has the video, so I've requested it. Short on reading time lately, so hopefully it will be as good as the book!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  8:09:35 PM  Show Profile
I will put this one on my list for sure!!! Sounds great!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  5:45:01 PM  Show Profile
Bramble, I share your love of this book! My brother gave it to me years ago as a gift, and I was very touched by it, too.

Mary Ann
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  9:45:09 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh! This movie arrived from my library tonight. I cried buckets!!!!!!!!!!!!! You need a whole box of kleenex. This pushed all my buttons and pulled all my strings and hit every emotional soft spot I have. I was happy, then OUTRAGED and then saddened.... It's an excellent movie. The term "reaching your time of understanding" is a remarkable way to frame the transition from ending this physical life and progressing on to the next. Thank you Bramble.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

Edited by - Clare on Aug 10 2005 9:47:08 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic The Education of Little Tree Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page