mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  10:50:18 AM  Show Profile
I know I'm always jabbering about my "heart home", our little cabin we built in Montana and while looking for clothesline pictures, I saw these. I thought I'd post them so you'll know what I'm jabbering about.

This is my little garden - surprising how much food I got out of it. Had to hand carry buckets of water morning and night to water it. Oh, and that's DH's shop in the background. The upstairs of the shop will be my sewing studio. You can see the cabin through the tree on the left.

Here is the front porch and some of my flowers.

This is a picture of the corner of the kitchen I love to sit in on cool mornings. You can see my Grandma's old rocker that I have in front of the window next to the woodstove. As you can see, we don't have inside walls yet, but it's insulated and warm, and the walls will come.

"Library" corner of the living room - see the boards on the wall? DH and I tore down an old barn here in Washington and carried the boards to Montana where we rough planed them and used them on the inside wall. I love it.

Our loft - where our bedroom is.

The outside, about a year ago - it's changed some since then - more done.

Sorry this is so big, but wanted you all to share and see what I love so much!

Edited by - mikesgirl on Sep 13 2007 11:08:12 AM

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  11:03:34 AM  Show Profile
what a darling cabin

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  11:25:43 AM  Show Profile
Sherri,
Wow, I just love your cabin and all your stuff, I have to go back and look closer at everything, what nice pictures.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  11:30:02 AM  Show Profile
I love it! Very cozy. jo

"life is drab without a lab"
http://web.mac.com/thomja/
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  12:00:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi sherri,
cool house, do you have someone who takes care of it when your not there?
We have some land up by the mountain, but DH has never wanted to build a cabin because of vandelisim and the extra maintainence.BOOHOO
I would love to have one there.
I have driven to Moussula(sp) several times and it doesnt really take long, I was surprised. dont know where your place is though. it was a nice drive
shirley
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  12:03:32 PM  Show Profile
We have neighbors about a quarter of a mile away that keep an eye on it for us. Very nice people. I told them I was coming over in a couple of weeks and they wrote back and said they make sure I had wood and water for while I'm there as I won't have the use of our pickup for this trip. We have never had any kind of vandalism at all and we have left power tools in the open garage for months at a time. We are pretty remote and the neighbors take care of each other there. The only thing I worry about is there are a lot of out of state hunters that converge and we have seen signs of them on our place even though we are fenced and our posts are painted against trespassers. No trouble though.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  12:47:10 PM  Show Profile
I love your cabin so much!!!! Wow, I have a big case of the envys now! That place is such a dream!

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  12:52:20 PM  Show Profile
Sherri, that is so lovely! Thank you for sharing pictures! I hope things are still going well at the fair :)
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  1:02:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Oh wow that is my dream home, when the kids are gone and moved away

Mommy to 2
Your FreckleFaced Farm Girl!!
Help when you can, Pray when you can't.
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  2:14:12 PM  Show Profile
Sherri,
I love your sweet cabin, and the planned barn wood is so stinkin great.
No wonder you can't wait till you get to live there.
Love love love the pictures. Thank you.
Carol Sue

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  2:31:08 PM  Show Profile
Sherri It's Such a sweet place to come home to isn't it??

What a lovely cabin!

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  4:18:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love it! How sweet and I can just feel the relaxation rolling off the walls!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  4:44:11 PM  Show Profile
You've got it Alee - no stress in that house!!
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  4:56:12 PM  Show Profile
My Stars and Garters Sherri! What a cute and cozy cabin! How often are you able to get up there in God's Country?! Where are you located? My son served a 2 year mission for our church in the Billings area. It covered a lot of miles. He loved Helena which is in the mountains!

Hugs, Maryjane Lee

The Beehive Cottage~est. 1971
"Sisters on the Fly"
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  5:17:41 PM  Show Profile
We are located north of Billings, east of Lewistown.
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  5:53:40 PM  Show Profile
Sherri,
I love your cabin. You and your husband must be having a wonderful time building this together. Just knowing you have your cabin to go to and get away from it all is heaven. A retirement there would surely be a dream come true.

Mary Jane

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

AFMom
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Erica
North Dakota
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  04:28:52 AM  Show Profile
Sherri,

I love your home away from home! It is so cute and serene...sorta of reminds me of the little house that Dr Quinn lived in when she moved to Colorado...and something I have always wanted for my family! I bet you all have a wonderful time there in Montana...Beautiful! Erica:)
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  08:24:10 AM  Show Profile
We do have a wonderful time - and it's not just working on our cabin. The whole attitude over there is different - neighbors take time to visit, things are not frantic like they are here, no traffic. Our mailbox is at the end of our little mile and a half road, but most of the time, the mailman will bring the mail down to us and sit and have a cup of coffee. Also, the mail only comes twice a week. Of course there is the advantage of no utility bills and no mortgage - you'd be surprised how much stress that alleviates. Life is much more purposeful, and that is something I really enjoy. Your moments become important, if that makes sense. Due to the remoteness, you aren't running to town for every little thing, so you get creative and learn to use what you have. For example, last summer I wanted to embroider and I didn't have a hoop over there. I scrounged around and found a cottage cheese carton, cut the middle out of the top and used the resulting rim of the lid and the cut off top of the carton to make an embroidery hoop. People help each other out there too. We've never had any trouble with anyone that lives around there. Our tools sat in our open garage for almost a year and we never lost as much as a screwdriver. I hope it stays that way as long as we are living and beyond. Things are changing a bit though - last summer the phone company decided to run a line out there and accepted 5 customers. Our neighbors got one, but we weren't there when they asked, so we won't have one. It will be comforting knowing that someone has a phone in case of emergency as our cells don't work until you go up the road a couple of miles. Like I said, it is a whole different way of living, and I really find peace in it.
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  09:44:51 AM  Show Profile
Sherri, Thanks for sharing the pictures - it really looks wonderful! I love your decorations and crockery and such in the kitchen. And, yes, the wood paneling around your library is just perfect! It IS amazing what we can do without, isn't it? Even though I live in town, I will "jury-rig" things to work - I love your cottage cheese embroidery hoop! You will have many lovely times in your Montana Cabin. Do you have a name for it yet? Enjoy! Judy

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  10:32:47 AM  Show Profile
Judy = DH wants to call it "Grubstake" because our last names Grubbs. Our kids about gagged at that one!!
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  1:06:33 PM  Show Profile
Oh, yeah, I remember that! I think it's cute! The kids won't be living there, will they??? So??? Have fun with it!

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2007 :  07:37:22 AM  Show Profile
Boy....that is the type of place I would look forward to escaping from my life during the week! I love it! Very charming, cozy and rustic. Thanks for the pictures!

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

white cupboard
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

maryanne
gahanna oh
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2007 :  09:05:10 AM  Show Profile
you are truly blessed to have such a beautiful home.....

the sweet smell of fresh cut grass,to nap under a tree on a cool fall afternoon,to hear my grandchildren wisper"i love you" in my ear,to taste the sweetest chocolate bar....life is grand and i am thankful....
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2007 :  11:36:44 AM  Show Profile
A gorgeous cabin, I can just imagine hours and hours spent reading in your library corner! Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2007 :  12:21:14 PM  Show Profile
nifty!

Crunchy crafty goodness and psychoses...;-)http://nashbabe.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Our Montana cabin Next Topic