Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic template plastic? Next Topic  

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  1:05:50 PM  Show Profile
Have any of you made a more enduring sewing pattern, perhaps out of quilters template plastic?

I have a vintage baby suit pattern that I love but don't want to "use up" and thought maybe I could trace it onto a plastic... do any of you have experience with this or have another suggestion?

carycamille
True Blue Farmgirl

163 Posts

Camille
Cathlamet Washington
USA
163 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  1:34:57 PM  Show Profile
I don't know if you could get plastic big enough without taping it together for some of the pieces, but how about making a copy of your pattern and then laminating them. You will still have your original and the laminated pieces will last quite a while.

Camille

www.mypowermall.com/biz/home/14088
Go to Top of Page

janetinva123
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Janet
newport news va
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  2:32:34 PM  Show Profile
There is another material for patterns, but I can't think of then name of it. It is still made of paper but much stiffer than newsprint or pattern paper. I have drawn patterns on newsprint and they are ok but not as good as that other paper.

Jc
http://beloved-creations.blogspot.com
http://beloved-creations.com
http://beloved-creations-storytelling.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  4:33:08 PM  Show Profile
I know that I've used something before - I THINK it was called pelon? Maybe? Anyhoo - I'm just SURE it started with a "P" and that you can find it in a good quilt shop. I really know what it's like to have the fear of "using up" a pattern. I've actually thought of making them out of ripstop nylon, but I haven't done it yet...

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  5:15:55 PM  Show Profile
For smaller pattern pieces I use "poster board" or "tag board"..it's inexpensive and I believe it's a 2o" x 30" sheet..you can get it on the school supply/art supply aisle at Walmart or at any Hobby Lobby or Michael's.

I've got many aprons, skirts, tops and accessory patterns transferred and cut out and it so easy to use the pattern pieces that way. You just lay down the pattern piece on the wrong side of your fabric and trace around it.

Stephanie

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  5:31:53 PM  Show Profile
Thank you ladies for all your creative suggestions. The poster board sounds like exactly what I need as that would provide a taller edge that could even run my rotary cutter along. hooray I'm excited. If I get the alteration done I must finish, I'll run out and get some board tonight.

Y'all are the best!

http://www.handcraftsbyheather.com
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  10:21:36 PM  Show Profile
I use a product called Pattern Ease. Very inexpensive ($1.99 per yard) and you can see through it, and even mark through it. It looks rather like interfacing. You can buy it wherever they sell interfacing. A lot of quilters & rug hookers use it when transferring patterns. It's the best thing I've found for reusing a pattern many times.

Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.

Edited by - abbasgurl on Sep 13 2007 5:00:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  05:29:13 AM  Show Profile
....And if you're really cheap like me, you can use old cereal boxes!

Jana
Go to Top of Page

a rose
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Linda
Waterford NY
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  3:10:30 PM  Show Profile
freezer paper makes great patterns too.

Remember me as a rose.
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  5:00:11 PM  Show Profile
Oh yes Linda! Freezer paper makes great transfer for applique too. Draw your pattern, iron it on your fabric shiny side down, and cut out perfect pieces! Most of you probably already know that trick, but we do have a few blossoming seamstresses here.

And Jana, I have use cereal boxes when reupholstering my sofa AND when making making those fancy Martha Stewart Christmas villages! It's a good thing!

I really do like the Pattern Ease best though, because it's flexible.

Happy transferring!

Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  5:06:03 PM  Show Profile
When I copied the MJFarm aprons up to 400% I just put clear package tape all over them and then cut them out. I'll bet clear contact paper would work okay too. Not as durable as mylar, but as some have said, piecing the mylar together could be a tricky adventure...

Crunchy crafty goodness and psychoses...;-)http://nashbabe.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic template plastic? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page