Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Does every state have a 'field guide' to plants?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Does every state have a 'field guide' to plants? Next Topic  

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  12:46:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
In the early 1970's, Mr. Roger Barbour and Ms. Elizabeth Wharton, two University of Kentucky professors, began publishing guides to the flora and fauna of Kentucky. There was: "Trees and Shrubs of Kentucky" then "Wildflowers and Ferns of Kentucky". These are meticulously researched and beautifully photographed volumes which have been used as textbooks ever since. I've taken these books for granted my entire adult life. When I divorced my first husband, he kept all four field guides...missed those...not him so much-LOL! I've just replaced the last one I needed and I'm wondering and hoping that each and every state in the US has had a Wharton and Barbour to do this research. Does your state have field guides?

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  4:15:07 PM  Show Profile
I know that I have seen books specific to Arkansas at some of the statepars that have museums and gift shops at them. Interesting question though. Most of the ones I have seen just have drawings but I havn't really looked eaither.

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  5:54:26 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I believe so. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  7:45:20 PM  Show Profile
I don't know of a good Iowa one, but Nebraska has a really good one that covers Nebraska and the Great Plains.
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  05:51:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
There are so many plants(some folks call them 'weeds' in town) that I know when I see them, just from looking at those old field guides. I used to hike with my first husband and those guides were worth their weight in gold. And the one for mammals even shows tracks and what droppings look like. There's another one somebody else wrote called "Weeds of Kentucky and surrounding areas" that I wish I had, but it's between 30 and 50 dollars everywhere I check online! :(

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner

Edited by - Miss Bee Haven on Sep 06 2007 06:15:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  8:22:57 PM  Show Profile
Have you check with the University of Kentucky Ag Dept or the UK Press? They may be able to help you get a copy of them or know where to get them. :) Let me know if you need any connections and I'll see what I can find out.

Jessica~Miss Wilma's Niece
Take a look at my country living photography & more at http://www.kyphotography.com

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  9:14:44 PM  Show Profile
I have to say that one of the field guides (and it truly is, in my case, a "field" guide!) is called - and this is going to solidify me as a farm-geek-girl - is called "Weeds of the West." I LOVE THIS BOOK! I'll bet it's like what you are talking about, Janice, and it's great. I'm not sure about really comprehensive Utah field guides - I'm sure there are some - but somehow I'm always needing to check out some weed or another around the farm.

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Does every state have a 'field guide' to plants? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page