Persephone
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Katrina
Indiana
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2007 :  12:17:50 PM  Show Profile
I don't know if many of you know this, but I'm planning on starting an herbal crafts business (once we move in Nov, and the house is all set up), but I've been thinking lately about what records I need to keep- and how to do it. What do you all do?

wallflower
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Holly
East Walpole MA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2007 :  6:33:25 PM  Show Profile
It may vary by town and state, I registered my business name with the town I live in. I then contacted the Dept. of Revenue for my state to apply for a tax i.d. number. When I collect sales tax, I have to send that to the state. They automatically send me the form at the beginning of the year. I just use spreadsheet to track my expenses and sales. I print these out to keep with my tax papers each year. My operation is very small, so it may be different for others. . .Hope your business blooms!

Holly
Go to Top of Page

momtoeight
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Laura
Medicine Bow WY
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  9:06:48 PM  Show Profile
The biggies are tracking income and expenses. Everything you sell should be kept track of. Everything you buy should have a receipt. It helps if you keep the income in one place, and the expenses in another (sort them as they come in), and put detailed notes on the receipts so you'll know what they were for if you add them up monthly.

Your state Dept of Revenue may require monthly, quarterly, or yearly returns if you are in a state with income tax.

Laura

Firelight Web Studio - http://www.firelightwebstudio.com
Western Hills Institute for MicroBusiness Training
http://www.westernhillsinstitute.com
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  2:43:43 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I use those Dome books for keeping track of expenses and income. My accountants have always loved me.
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Record Keeping? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page