True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Erica
North Dakota
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2007 :  04:05:46 AM  Show Profile
Hi Girls,

Ok another question...I have become the momma to 4 six week old baby kittens, who by the way, are absolutly adorable...this is in an effort to create more activity in my yard so other animals will be less inclined to visit me:) So, please shoot me advice on how to help them get acclimated to being outside..I cannot have them in my home. They are in my dog's large kennel now, but are active explorers when they are out and about and I can't keep track of them all when the kids are in school. The momma did not come along...she was not for sale...when do you girls think it will be ok to let them hang out and wander free without me constantly watching them? And how do I teach them to potty in the yard and not on the porch...also, when do I stop giving them milk? If anyone has experience with raising kittens, please help me:) I so appreciate all your advice and wisdom:)

Warmly,
Erica

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2007 :  07:53:17 AM  Show Profile
I wouldn't give them milk at all. Cows milk is actually bad for cats. I would give them kitten food and wet it down a bit with water. If the owners were giving them away they should be weened and ready for food. It is hard without a mother cat to teach them the territory but as long as you provide food and warm shelter they should stay close. You may want to keep them in an enclosed area for a few days only letting them out when you can supervise and slowly letting them stay out for longer times. As they get older they will naturally use the bathroom further from where they are sleeping. They will play and roam around for a while but that is there nature. Also do not forget to have them "fixed" when they get old enough.

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic 6 Week Old Kittens Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page