Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 I'm leasing to own my first horse
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic I'm leasing to own my first horse Next Topic  

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  5:01:08 PM  Show Profile
I just met up with a girl at a NATRC (north american trail riding conference) ride and she trains at a barn where the owner was "looking" for an owner for a horse she has. He's been there 8 months in her pasture and the horse has had only 1 owner. He's 19 year old Arabian. He looks really good and dosen't look like an old horse. She tried to use him as a lesson horse but he really wasn't happy having a new person on him every week. He didn't buck, bite or act up, she said he just looked sad and depressed he didn't have his own owner. So I went up to look at him today. He's a litte fat from being out in pasture for the past 8 months but overall he looks really good. He's smart, confident, compliant, calm. We talked about ownership of him, where he might go to board, etc. The owner really wants to make sure go goes to the right home. I asked if she was willing to lease or lease to own and see if he makes a good fit with me and my family, she thought that was a great idea and that gives me time to see if he will work out. I'll add a picture of him when I figure out how to do it. Well here goes: Here he is Geronimo or "Mo" for short.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."

Edited by - UrbanChick on Sep 03 2007 5:15:12 PM

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  7:29:28 PM  Show Profile
Good looking horse and a little age is good. You will learn from him. The mare Kylee barrel races on is 22. It sounds like a good deal. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2007 :  06:20:29 AM  Show Profile
He's beautiful!! I agree- a little age is good for a horse. We had a horse when we were kids, named Mergatroyd. (We did not name him!) Merg, for short. He was 18 years old, and perfect for us kids to learn to ride on. I hope this works out for you! :)

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2007 :  6:06:22 PM  Show Profile
The barn just forwarded a letter from the previous owner. She seems excited that Mo may find a new forever home. I just emailed her to give her details about me, what I wanted a horse for, my expirence with them (not much), and I asked her a ton of questions about Mo. So hopefully she dosen't think I'm a total nut and she'll write me back. :) I'm getting excited and nervous about this horse all at the same time. I would like to be his owner but I really need to make this decision with the best interest of my family and for this horse so I can be a permanant home for him or find a different horse out there. So hopefully when I was asking questions about him she didn't think I was being rude or prying. I just wanted to know what kind of horse he was before he came to the barn. Do you know of any questions I should be asking them?. I know his age, but I asked about current vaccines, farrier, floating, any vices, will he good for a beginner and autistic child, any soundness or health issues. Has he had any training, etc? Anything else? All I know is Mo is 19years old, barefoot, pastured, gelding with very little professional training although it seems he already knows some stuff. Help me decide. Should I do a vet check before the lease or after the lease and before the sale?

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  9:49:23 PM  Show Profile
Well I just got back an email from the previous owner and I called the barn and decided he is not for me. Not so much from what she said but I was really in the market for a gaited horse and there are quirks with him that I don't think would work out. So I mentioned all this to the guy I get my chicken feed from and he said he would keep an eye out for me he mainly deals with TN walkers. He got the details on what I wanted and he called me tonight to say he found a horse I may be interested in. So that search is on again. My horse is out there, but I'm being WAAAY picky about what I want. I'm going to look at this horse on Friday and see if this is the one. He's an 8 year old racking horse strawberry roan gelding, don't know how tall but he is gentle and has been ridden bareback by children. He's going to check him out on trails this week and work with him when he settles down at his place to see if he is suitable for me. He may need a little finishing up with my trainer in TN but he says he seems like a good horse for me and my needs. He said after he sees what he can do if I want him he will give me a 7 days trial period so I can put him through the paces and see if we get along. So here it goes again. On the search for the perfect horse.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  7:48:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ayako- I think it is great that you are looking for a horse and that you are being so careful. Horses live a long time and are a huge financial investment. It isn't something to enter into lightly so I think caution certainly is in order. Go with your heart. Your perfect horse is out there somewhere!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic I'm leasing to own my first horse Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page