jennym
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Jenny
Green Lane PA
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  07:44:10 AM  Show Profile
I'm so excited - we're redoing our kitchen! Saturday we went to Ikea and bought a wooden countertop and a farmhouse sink which I love!! We're going to paint our cabinets and put in new vinyl flooring, and then we'll have a whole new kitchen! Anyway, my question is, do any of you have wooden countertops? What are the pros and cons? It looks so pristine right now and I'm terrified of ruining it! How do you care for yours? Ikea recommends oiling them, and my husband found a product called Waterlox Tung Oil Finish which sounds pretty good. Thank you so much for any help you might be able to give me.
Now I'm off to sand some cabinet doors!

Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  11:24:49 AM  Show Profile
don't have an answer but it sounds lovely.. and a farmhouse sink.. I miss my huge sink! It is hard washing big pots in a small sink..
congrats..
debra
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  11:31:15 AM  Show Profile
Hey Jenny... we have a butcher block counter top. We got ours over the summer. I really like it. We use lemon oil on ours. That was recommended to us if we would have food on our counter. Thing is I have used about 3 bottles on it & need to get more. It is a thick counter & just soaks it up. That is the one down fall. I suggested to my DH that we just stain it & put a sealant on it. We will be using a cutting board anyway. I do like the fact that if something gets on there, I can lightly sand it to remove it. I am not sure if it would be that easy if we sealed it. I guess Once the oil is absorbed, I won't have to do it as often. I have to remind my kids not to leave an iced drink because it leaves a ring otherwise. Once the oil absorbs, it should bead off, but until then, I have to remind them. Not sure if that is the kind of counter you have, but it is very easy to care for. As long as you keep it oiled & liquids off until it absorbs the oil. Once you put the oil on, it looks real nice too. All of the wood grain coloring comes out

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  10:49:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi, there! I have a wooden countertop - I've had it for about 6-7 years, and I really enjoy it! I'm not real careful with it - I don't use cutting boards or anything - I just use it and love it. Every once in a while - say, three times a year or so - I take a bottle of mineral oil (but I'll bet your lemon oil, Kelly, smells so much nicer!) and coat it, let it sit overnight, and wipe the excess off. It soaks in after a day or two and it has a pretty nice patina to it. I think you'll love yours! I think leaving them unsealed and using oil is the way to go - it's so nice to know that you can sand out a knife mark if you want to - I leave most of them, but the bigger ones I try to minimize.

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2007 :  08:45:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have a friend who has an all wood butcher block table that is amazing. She was told to only use mineral oil on it if food was going to touch it. It has a wonderful waterproof layer on it and only has to oil it a couple of times a year.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic wooden countertop Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page