Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Pricing question about groceries
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pricing question about groceries Next Topic  

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2007 :  7:12:15 PM  Show Profile
I know there are no hard & fast answers to this question, but in general, which do you find to be cheaper per oz --

frozen veggies or veggies in a can
frozen juices or ready to serve
frozen fruit or fresh

I'm thinking it's frozen across the board, but am I wrong?

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please email me for all your Mary Kay needs!

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2007 :  09:42:29 AM  Show Profile
Canned veggies tend to be cheaper than frozen in my store. Frozen juice is usually cheaper. Frozen vs fresh fruits depend on the season and availability. I think you are probably right in that there is no fast rule.

I used to spend a lot of time comparison pricing and would buy the cheaper. Then I would find I wasn't please with the product and it would go to waste. I now buy what I know I will like and I actually spend far less on groceries than I used to because I am wasting much less.

As a general rule I look for fresh first, frozen 2nd and canned as a last resort. The only veggie I always buy canned it Trappy's Jalapeno Black Eyed peas. My husband loves the things and we go through about 5 cans a week! If I was makeing them fresh everyday I would never have time for anything else!

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2007 :  09:33:20 AM  Show Profile
Patti -

I buy both ready to serve and frozen juice but I have been picking up more frozen juice lately for its portability and storage space; I haven't priced out the comparison ( and sometimes there are great deals on the ready to serve juice)but I got so tired of lugging home cartons and large bottles of liquids...now I prefer thawing a can and mixing it with my own tasty well water, as needed.

I also changed how I buy non-dairy creamer...after the prices spiked on those Coffee Mate containers found in the milk/creamer section, I had an epiphany. I also detested using powdered creamer in my coffee, and being lactose intolerant I have to watch how much dairy I consume. Anyway, reading the label of the powdered CoffeeMate one day, it says - To make powder into liquid, mix 1 part powder to 2 parts hot water! Duh....

Anyway, this saves big bucks, especially when I buy the big containers of CoffeeMate at Costco. I saved the last couple of empty CoffeeMate liquid containers and I just wash them thoroughly and refill as needed.

I do this with Gatorade now, as well. A sailing buddy told me about how they take the gatorade powder on board, and mix with bottled water as needed...no lugging those big jugs of gatorade around. So, I reuse and refill our drinking bottles with home-mixed Gatorade and keep them chilled in the fridge. Not sure how much of a savings that is monetarily, but I appreciate not lugging all the bottles home from the grocery store every week, and I also think it helps to keep a few hundred plastic bottles out of the landfills.

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pricing question about groceries Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page