True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Erica
North Dakota
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2007 :  04:35:49 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls,

I saw there were a few posts recently about pumpkins and growing times...but I am new to growing pumpkins..just moved from the suburbs to a house in the country and wanted to try growing pumpkins since we are all Fall/Halloween lovers in my family....

Anyway, I planted the seeds in July, and the plants are absolutely gorgeous...the vines are growing out into the yard and I have the most beautiful yellow flowers on the vines. We have been worried because farmers are already selling full grown pumpkins in our area, and I only have little green balls on my vines. They just appeared and look like little watermelon balls...so I am wondering if you think I will have some good sized pumpkins to carve by the middle of Oct....many folks around here tell me I planted to late, but I thinking that since the farmers have pumpkins now, they would be rotted by mid-October....does anyone have experience with pumpkins in Central Pa area...Thanks, Erica

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  05:12:27 AM  Show Profile
Unfortunately, Erica, I think you did plant too late. Last year my pumpkins were ripe at this time and I was afraid they would rot by Halloween, but they did just fine. You will probably only have small ones that might be big enough to paint but I doubt they will turn orange in time. But cheer up! Lesson learned; there's always next year.

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  07:15:21 AM  Show Profile
I planted mine in June anD they are just now making pumpkins!! But we've finally have some heat and they seem to be taking off! Maybe yours will too! Next year I'm not just using compost!! Going for the big guns and gettin myself some HORSE manure!!!(Thanks for the tip Bev!!!!)
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Pumpkins in my yard..question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page