Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 How many people name their home or farm?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic How many people name their home or farm? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  10:56:14 PM  Show Profile
While we are still a ways from buying our own land, we live in a pretty secure place. I just bought a nice mobile home (don't laugh, they can be pretty cool)last Christmas and have been remodeling like crazy. We have decides to name our humble abode "Windholme" Which kind of means "Island in the middle of the wind" which fits very well. I was curious as to other folk and naming of farms and homes?

=)
Annika

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  11:11:07 PM  Show Profile
Annika,
I like that idea. We live in an older 12x60 mobile. We are slowly changing it but the important part as a friend said is, it is YOUR home.
My dad told me a long time ago, it doesn't matter what anything thinks, including me, it is your home.
I love that you named it Windholme. Cool.
Carol Sue

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  04:58:37 AM  Show Profile
Annika
We named our place Providence.
We firmly believe that the hand of God providentially moved us to this place.
We suffered one tragedy after another for 2-3 yrs and when we got to this land
everything slowed down. To this day everyone calls this place Providence.
On the matter of the looks of your home- most people thought we were crazy when we built a very cheap very not picturesque cabin so we could live on our land. No electricity,water,driveway-
nothing but rough woods and lots of determination to build a homeplace. That has proved to be enough-by the grace of God!
Good for you naming your place!
Blessings
Autumn

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  06:44:11 AM  Show Profile
Our place is called 'Strawberry Hills Farm' because all this cleared land up in the woods was a strawberry farm. Not very inventive but for years it everyone knew this area as strawberry hills. So there!!. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  06:44:40 AM  Show Profile
We call our place Tiny Taylor Ranch. We have a larger ranch about 30 miles from our house, so our little ranch is just an extention of the bigger one.

Sherone

www.taylorscountrystore.etsy.com

http://sheronesgarden.tripod.com/
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  07:46:25 AM  Show Profile
We don't have enough land to justify naming, but I love the idea. I always thought it would be fun to name it Happy Dale, from Arsenic and Old Lace. The family in that movie are the Brewsters and they are all a little crazy. Our last name is Brewer and we are all a little coo-coo too!

"There is a Happy Dale far, far away. . ." -Arsenic and Old Lace
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  08:31:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would love to name my home- when I get it some day! Right now we rent an apartment so I don't feel any particular attachment to it.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  08:37:31 AM  Show Profile
OK now don't laugh at this. It is totally DH's idea and our kids are howling over this. Some of you know our last name is Grubbs and DH wants to name our place in Montana "GrubbStake".
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  09:15:16 AM  Show Profile
No teasing from me, least not unless it is intended to make you laugh too. Everyone has a name for our place, based on some long gone previous owner. Wonder how long it takes to change a place's name, or is it bad luck like changing a boat's name? Anyway, we've been calling it Quail Hollow, because it is in a low spot and practically infested with birds of all kinds. Just love it. Do you have a welcome sign at your place with the name on it? I'm hoping to do one up, just takes time.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  10:13:11 AM  Show Profile
We are torn between something from a catologue and something homemade. We are about to attempt prepping and painting. We are going with a soft sage tone and maybe buttercream trim, false shutters and window boxes. May take us into next year to do it all. I think that some brass or copper words and address would look quite nice. In my belief when you name your home you give it a spirit.

blessings to all of you
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  10:47:42 AM  Show Profile
Sherri, I think GrubbStake is just wonderful! Use it, gal!
I would like to name my home. I took myself to Great Britain for my 50th birthday a few years back and as I would wander through the towns we stayed in, it seemed every home had a name. "Such and Such Cottage" or something so picturesque and so British! I bought my home here in Washington State two years ago and have been trying to come up with a name that fits me and my home...I should take a weekend and just immerse myself in all things "mine" and do a big brainstorm (although that might be difficult with my wee brain!) and see what I come up with. Something will come to me, I'm sure...
And Annika, Windholme is just beautiful, and truly evocative of your corner of the world! Judy

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  11:24:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love GrubbStake too! LOL :) That will make me smile every time I think of your cabin now, Sherri!

Annika- I love the colors you picked! I can imagine it in my mind! I am sure your home will be just lovely when it is all done!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  12:09:32 PM  Show Profile
GrubbStake is a fine name! We named our farm Quail Run Farm due to DH's love of the critters and the proliferation of them when we built our house in the mid-1980's. Now we have development all around andthe quail have disappeared. The deer have taken over though; I left this morning to walk the dog (out the basement door, around the side of the house, and back again), to come face to face with three deer in the middle of the yard! They looked up and shifted about 20 feet back, then stood and waited while we went back inside. Our little chihuahua was, of course, going ballistic like he does every time he sees a deer. So, maybe we should change the name to Deer Shuffle farm?

Next story; as mentioned before, we bought a farm 3 hours away, to retire to and there are Quail there! However, the farm already had a name, posted on a sign at the end of the driveway...Hideaway Farm. As I told the seller when we decided to buy the place, "he had us at the sign" (a nod to the line spoken by Tom Cruise in the Jerry Maguire movie)!

And that, my dear farmgirls, is also how I decided upon my MJF user name!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"

Edited by - Hideaway Farmgirl on Aug 31 2007 12:11:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  1:16:09 PM  Show Profile
I like the idea of naming a home when other people do it, but I just can't seem to do it myself. Seems pretentious somehow, unless the name is already there in the community or is just crying out to be used. For instance, when my husband and I were house shopping, one of the potential houses had very bright childlike wall colors in all the rooms (they ran a daycare) and it was on a street named Selye Terrace. When we talked about our house options, we always referred to that house as Silly Terrace. We put in an offer on Silly Terrace, but it was rejected. If we had bought it, though, that would have been its name forever.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  8:03:33 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I bought our house 5 years ago. It is on a wooded 1 acre lot, up on a hill with a walk out basement. I wanted to call the house "Windy Hill" when we were buying it. However, after we bought the place we discovered the house had tons of hidden and very expensive problems. Starting with the septic field having collapsed. Needless to say we changed the name to "The Crap House"! And yes, the name has stuck! We're slowly remodeling though.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2007 :  07:40:36 AM  Show Profile
I know we didn another post on this a while back, and since then I have pulled a female-famous-move! I've change my mind. we have the nicest meandering creek in the back of our property, and it never runs dry(which a lot of creeks do here) so I've decided on Little Creek. I thought about Little Creek Farm, but there is no farm here just my horses and garden, so I think Little Creek is just a bit more...appropriate.
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2007 :  08:46:12 AM  Show Profile
Hi ladies! Our farm is called No Worries Farm and the farmhouse I affectionately call "Old Henry"...It is just a classic simple 1915 farmhouse and Henry seemed the perfect name.. No Worries is just our fundamental philosophy about most everything.. I'm a namer big time and name almost everything. We have a beautiful huge black locust tree that I call Grandfather Locust...my 1971 beater pickup truck is called "Old man in a trunk" cuz' that's what it smells like! You get the idea!
Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2007 :  3:20:29 PM  Show Profile
Our place is Plum Creek Miniatures. We have some old wild plum trees lining our back boundry and the Plum Creek flows across the road. When it floods, it's in our backyard. Miniatures because I have mini horses and pygmy and nigerian dwarf goats.
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2007 :  6:55:12 PM  Show Profile
Oh Dawn, I'm sorry to hear about the drain field.....and you are not the only one! Our brick house that appeared to be low maintenance had no drain field. There was just a pipe leading from the tank to the creek. Lovely. Needless to say, we immediately paid all the money it took to have a proper drain field. There were a few other money pit issues that we dealt with too, and now I have an 8 ft. long sign in my sunroom that says "In everything give thanks". We needed a huge reminder for a while.

Our place is called Forrester Farm because of my business, but if I were to rename it, it would be Willow Brook. There are willow trees lining the now clean creek bed. I hope that you will be able to rename your home soon Dawn!

Ann
http://annforrester.tohe.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2007 :  06:44:37 AM  Show Profile
i changed the name of our cabins from Cabin Creek Farm (although this remains my 'business name') to FREEDOM VALLEY FARM .. you can read all about the 'why's' on my blog. xoxo

True Friends, Frannie

FREEDOM VALLEY FARM
KENTUCKY

http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2007 :  5:48:57 PM  Show Profile
The name of our property is and always has been since we bought it, simply "The Farm". When we first bought it we were living in other towns and always just referred to it as "The Farm" it stuck.Been that for nearly 40 yrs. now.

Mary Jane

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  1:11:51 PM  Show Profile
We will be naming our farm but have not officially picked one out yet because hubby and I have two different names picked out.

My name is "Toomyvara" which is the name of my family's official homestead back in Ireland.

I don't know exactly what hubby's official name will be but he calls the farm "Mars" because the red rocky soil and the twisted live oak trees resemble a martian landscape. But I doubt he will use Mars or Martian in his official business name.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  1:13:58 PM  Show Profile
I've been thinking that I'd like to name our home..although we live in the city, we do have a large lot. I've been giving it some thought lately. Any ideas gals?

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  1:38:02 PM  Show Profile
We are moving this month. It is not our permanent home- a rental but we know God has blessed us with this house.. So many things I have wanted in a home I will have in this house. I totally see God's hand in all of this.. I want to name our homestead.. Any thoughts.. Something that we will always remember..

Blessings, Debra
Psalms 23:1 "The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want."
http://myvintagehome.com
http://debbieknits.net
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  2:29:49 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I named our home! When we built our home in the 90's I decided to name it........ "The Beehive Cottage". Loved bee's and cottage decor. I still use this name in all that I do!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

The Beehive Cottage~
est. 1971

Edited by - Maryjane Lee on Sep 03 2007 2:30:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  6:10:57 PM  Show Profile
Julia, you and I are two peas in a pod..I name everything too! My first car was Kermit...bright green chevette...our old truck is Maude, the Nanny's car I called Rita, after the Beatles song "lovely Rita, Meter Maid.." My white Dodge minivan is named Lola. Our big willow tree is Lady Willow, the old, old apple tree that drops apples all over is Fred. My front loader washing machine is named Oceana...why? Because it's fun!

Our farmhouse doesn't have a name yet, It was owned by the Cox family for three generations, and Ina, the first farmgirl to live here still makes her spirit-presence known for time to time, so I kind of thing of it as "Ina's House" which she is kind enough to let us inhabit...she let me know when we came to look at the home for sale that it would be good for kids to live in "her" house again, but only if they were well-fed and cared for. She couldn't abide children living in her house if they weren't cared for well!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic How many people name their home or farm? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page