joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  11:58:38 AM  Show Profile
We are anxiously wanting our own farm. We having been considering Missouri for sometime- though it will be a year or 2 before we will be able to do it but we are determined. There are many pieces of property there that are under $50k but with a large family we need a spacious house..
For now we are in Nevada and looking for a bigger house. hope to move by Oct 1.
blessings,debra

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  12:05:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi Debra!! I live in Missouri and LOVE it! And I'm from Nevada too, over 20 yrs. ago. I've lived in Las Vegas till I married, then moved to Lathrop Wells. I have a sister who lives in Beatty. She is on here sometimes, goes by renren. If I can help you at all, just let me know, I can hook you up with a GREAT realtor or send you land catalogs. What part of Missouri are you looking at? Prices do vary depending on where you want to live, here in West Plains, land is going for about $1000 a acre, sometimes you can find it lower like near the smaller towns. Just hollor if you need help and welcome here, it's the best place on the net!!

Visit me at my blogs:
www.countrypleasures.blogspot.com
www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com
www.photo-per-day.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  2:19:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Debra,

Another Missouri gal here, I live in Southeastern Missouri between Cape Girardeau and Perryville, not far from the Mississippi River. It is all rolling hills with pasture and woods. There are lots of places for sale, some just land and some with homes and buildings. Certainly plenty to choose from. Depending on which area of the state you are looking to settle, let me know and like Sue, I'll gladly send you any information you would be interested in seeing. This is primarly a farming area in very rural small town settings, lots of crops, and plenty of cattle with some hog operations, too. The small town I live in shows a population of 192.

I just moved back here from living in the city (St. Louis) for 19 years and instantly I was at home. I love living here, always have. The living history museum I work at is closed on Mondays and I'm always ready to hop in the van and head north to visit our family, but here lately it's been very nice to be able to spend my day off at home. You know, it's always nice to go, but it's even nicer to come back. That's how it is around here.

Just let me know if I can help, we'd love to welcome you and your family to the area. Blessings on all your decisions and preparations for finding the farm of your dreams suitable for your family.

In His hands,
Lynda

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
www.pamperedchef.biz/lorenzfamilycooks

Edited by - FarrarFarmgirl on Sep 03 2007 2:20:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  2:42:33 PM  Show Profile
Lynda, thank you.. We are moving this month to a bigger house in this area but hope in the next year or 2 to be moving to a farm of our own. Our only need out of an area is that within a hours drive of good shopping. We shop at Sam's club a couple of times a month so we would like to be near a Sam's. Other than that- big 3000 sq ft or more and lots of acreage.
thanks a bunch.

Blessings, Debra
Psalms 23:1 "The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want."
http://myvintagehome.com
http://debbieknits.net
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  9:22:15 PM  Show Profile
Don't you love how you can find helpful, kindred spirits here?!?!? Debra - I'll bet that Missouri is wonderful - it sure houses some great farmgirls! I've never been there, but all of the photos I've seen are just gorgeous.

I hope your moves go well and are as easy as possible. It all sounds exciting to me!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  4:21:54 PM  Show Profile
Debra,
You'll be glad to know that from where I live, it is only 35-45 minutes to a Sam's club in Cape Girardeau, plus a whole lot more. I live in East Perry County and it's about 30 minutes to a super Wal-Mart in Perryville and that's mostly what they have, plus the local stores. So you won't have to look far to meet that criteria. If you find a place in Cape Girardeau County, you'll be even closer and there's another farmgirl that lives there, HappyMama (Patti M.)

You just say when and I'll start keeping my eyes and ears open for something you might like. We'd love to have you in the area where we can swap and share and just sit for a spell. I've got a porch swing and two rockers just waiting. Good luck with your move, just did that 3 months ago so I know what you are going through and am still upacking boxes just went through 3 more yesterday. Oh, well, it's quite functionable as is, the rest is just stuff and fluff.

And Libbie, thanks for your vote of confidence of us MO gals. I'm sure I can say the same is true for you, too. It's a universal kindred spirit wherever you find a farmgirl - country or city. If you and your family are ever out this way whether you're passing through or coming for a visit, please let me know, I'd love to meet you and offer you a meal or a place to stay. Now wouldn't that be a ton of fun?

Take care and God bless you both in all your wonderful country loving ways.

In His hands,
Lynda

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
www.pamperedchef.biz/lorenzfamilycooks
Go to Top of Page

mrs. graham
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Marqueta
Shelley ID
50 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2007 :  1:51:04 PM  Show Profile
Ladies, is it all right if I jump in on this topic? We, too, are looking to move to Missouri, hopefully by the end of 2008. My in-laws are moving to Kansas City, but we don't want to be IN the city, just close enough to visit, right? I found this ad online, that sounds like my dream place(even though they don't happen to mention how big the house is!):
MISSOURI HOME & 40 ACRES CLOSE TO LAKE OF THE OZARKS
40 acres, home, 30x40' workshop/ garage, barn, outbuildings, carport, year-round creek, pond, woods and meadows, established raised-bed gardens, mature landscaping. This 40 acres was once part of a 120-acre dairy farm and there is an older barn and milking building still in very usable condition for animals or storage. Asking $250,000 for all but may consider dividing.

Does the price seem high, or is that about right?

Thanks for any help,

`Marqueta

"Far from the madding crowd's ignoble strife Their sober wishes never learn'd to stray."~Thomas Gray
http://members.aol.com/sweetefelicity My blog http://sweetefelicity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

shawna
True Blue Farmgirl

241 Posts

missouri (north)
241 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  2:26:12 PM  Show Profile
hi, Ladies! i'm here in MO. about 30 min. from the edge of Kansas City. (Liberty) We lived in the City for 2 years and are happy to be out! That said it's a fine city, we miss mostly the good food!!! I too shop sams club. mostly I go to St.Joseph, it's about 25min, and a nice county drive. there is so much land for sale. i wish we would have shopped more before we moved for a better deal, but we were in a hurry. so i'm way north mo, so if that area interest anyone let me know. We get shoppers every week that has listings! i hope your dreams come true!!!

xoxo s.r.
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  3:02:51 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Hmmm.....I'm in MO too. I personally think that 250000 for 40 acres is too high. United Country is a real estate company that deals in selling farms and country properties. You can do a web search on them I think, they are all over the U.S.

Best of luck to you all who are moving here. It is a beautiful state. Just be sure to bring your shorts and your long johns. It was in the 80s last Sunday and only in the low 50s on Monday!

Blessings....
Sarah

www.mustangsuzie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mrs. graham
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Marqueta
Shelley ID
50 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2007 :  5:00:32 PM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for your input. It's nice to hear from someone who lives nearby to get a better idea of what is a good deal.

Blessings,

Marqueta

"Far from the madding crowd's ignoble strife Their sober wishes never learn'd to stray."~Thomas Gray
http://members.aol.com/sweetefelicity My blog http://sweetefelicity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  08:07:25 AM  Show Profile
We are still looking to move to Missouri. End of the summer by the time our lease is up. We are looking to rent. We would like to live where it snows more in the winter. On at least a couple of acres and a larger house for our large family. $900 or less for rent.

Blessings, Debra
Psalms 23:1 "The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want."
http://myvintagehome.blogspot.com
http://woolieacres.net
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Looking in Missouri Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page