Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Acupuncture for Fibro Next Topic  

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  11:25:40 AM  Show Profile
My fibro has been so bad for the past few months that all I can think about is my pain, despite meds, despite all the spirtual work I do on myself. (I seem to be able to affect healing on others, not me. Hm)

So, having tried everything in the past 30 years, I was finally able to afford acupuncture at the College of Oriental Medicine here in Portland. My first visit was a dud because I got nauseous right away after the needles were inserted. they were immediately removed and I was told me chi was too screwed up (I'm paraphrasing here) to work with that day. Kelly, my acupuncturist, put the little beads in my ears to wear all the time and off I went.

The next visit was another dud because the minute she took my blood pressure, (it was 200/100 and I had other symptoms) she was afraid of heart attack and I was whisked off to the ER.

Yesterday I had my third visit and we actually got to DO something. Kelly had studied up on fibro (She is FABULOUS - very knowledgeable and cares enough to do extra work on you) and put needles in the meridians up and down arms and legs that work on your digestive places because she had found out that when they are not working right and not filtering right, the bad stuff (I'm so damn technical) goes right into the muscles and causes pain. (!)

I walked away from there a half hour later with no pain. For the first time in 30 years. I cried. I couldn't believe it. Of course the pain came back a few hours later - you can't be healed in one session, but the pain actually went away!

So, updating for my sisters with fibro, try accupuncture. It doesn't hurt (sometimes a sting, but that's it), and if you go to a school, you are treated by an intern with a doctor right there all the time, and the cost is minimal (I pay $27).

I've always believed in Chinese medicine. You also get additional help because they look at your tongue and take blood pressure at several different points and diagnose from that, too. ("Have you had lower back pain?" "Yes, and I never get back pain" "It's because your kidneys function is low and sluggish. We'll get it going again.") And, with a couple of needles (thin as a hair) they do. They also have herbs and such for those who need that.

I really recommend acupuncture, and am embracing my progress (remember, never wait for the other shoe to drop - "Oh, I'm OK now but I know it won't last" produces the very thing you believe).

If you want more info from me, just ask. Or call your local College of Oriental Medicine. It's definitely worth it.

OK, gotta go stimulate the little rocks in my ear.

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

check out my etsy site http://ThePlayfulFarmgirl.etsy.com

Take me home, country roads

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  11:36:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh I am so happy for you Patricia!

How often do you get to go?!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  1:19:17 PM  Show Profile
Patricia,
Very interesting info and I will look into it. My FMS problems are not acute most of the time, but know it is with some and I do understand. It's such a sneaky ailment and because one "looks healthy", hard to get people to understand how chronic pain can be so difficult to deal with day to day. I do strongly believe it may be at least a portion of Carol Sue's problems, as both of us have related to her in email.
I was sent to a east/west pain control clinic at UCLA some years back, with the professor of that teaching. He did injections into the nerves in my neck and back...would insert the needle and rotate until he hit the nerve and then inject something. Didn't do much for me. He would also rx 100 Vicodin a week and offered more, which I declined. Last visit, he said I was one of the few he hadn't been able to help. I do think the 100+ Vicodin a week probably kept a lot of the patients coming back week after week. There are times I've needed a strong painkiller, but do know it just masks the pain and the goal is to eliminate it and the cause.
Thanks for info....
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  1:27:54 PM  Show Profile
Ronna, you are soooo right! I was on vicodin and Tylenol #4 for most of the past 30 years. It was the only thing that took the edge off. Unfortunately, as with any narcotic, as you go on, you need more and more. It never affected me adversely, but when I quit it (which wasn't a problem for me thank God)the doctor put me on Ultram which helps a little. She refuses to use any narcotics for the reason stated above. And she's right. That guy sounds like a quack. He didn't even tell you what he was injecting? Whew! Acupuncture is nothing like that. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Alee, I go every week. I have a strong feeling that someday I won't have to go at all. I think this is the kick in the pants God gave me after all those years of praying. ("Oy, I told you years ago to do this, but did you listen?")

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  3:22:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is wonderful Patricia! I am so happy for you! I am so glad you have such a wonderful person to go to who will do extra research for you! Perhaps you can take their information they are giving you (about liver function and such) and follow through with cleansing foods and such at home?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  5:05:29 PM  Show Profile
Oh, absolutely, Alee. I eat really healthy anyway, but I did learn new things. The one thing I'm wary of is colonics. I've heard a lot of good stuff but to me, they're still fancy enemas. Jury's still out on that one.

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  8:07:51 PM  Show Profile
Patricia,
There is a clinic in Portland, Oregon called Working Class Acupuncture.
It's a open concept clinic, with a sliding scale for fees.
I have a book that Lisa Rohleder L.AC. who owns the clinic wrote (my hubby is going to school for acupuncture).
http://www.workingclassacupuncture.org/
Might be worth checking into for affordable treatments too.
Just my 2 cents
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  8:16:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Foods to increase to reduce toxic reactions and support detoxification

Broccoli & Watercress These vegetables contain powerful activators of phase 1 & 2 detoxification pathways
Lemon & Lime The peel & pith of these citrus fruits contain limonene, which activate phase 2 enzymes
Soya Bean Isoflavones Assist in cholesterol clearance & the hormonal metabolism associated with detoxification
Green Tea Helps neutralise free radicals, which could contribute to toxic reactions of liver cleansing
Spices Turmeric & Ginger Contain important components that activate phase 2 enzyme detoxification
Beetroot, Carrot, Garlic & Grapes All possess valuable phytochemicals which support detoxification

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  8:30:58 PM  Show Profile
Hey Patricia and Ronna, years ago I had acupunture and it really helped with the back pain. I had been in a car accident which exasterbated the original injury. It was covered by the guy who hit me.
Do either of you know if there is a clini up here in spokane that is sliding fee scale, we are lower income and no medical insurance. I am certainly not opposed to it. When I had it before it didn't hurt or sting. Made me cry cause it was releasing the junk, chiro and massage can do the same thing.
Alee, you girl are a wealth of knowledge.
I sure wish it was Wednesday and the process was under way. Dumb but this time I really want the blood work to get done, so it will help with eliminating stuff. Can't believe I am saying that.
I love to walk and I have done zippo this summer and for most of the year. major bums me out about myself, but figuring this out and moving forward is important.
I thank each of you for your encouragement and the sharing that you have done.
Patricia, keep going girl, I know when I had acupunture for my back, i felt better, also did cupping at the same time.
Carol Sue

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  10:03:29 PM  Show Profile
Patricia,
In Karin's "rats" posting, next to this one, I wrote that Ultram has helped me a great deal to function on a daily basis.
Need to combine these Fibromyalgia posts into their own thread and make it easier to read all the postings together...
The Dr at UCLA was asian the the head of the East/West medicine teaching, so was well respected, but the use of so much Vicodin was covering up any pain a person might have. It was Lidocaine he was injecting...called trigger point injections. I'm having to reach back into 15 yr old memory for the details, so they're coming slowly. I have thought about acupuncture for a long time to help me. Would be nice if there were a training facility in Reno, will have to investigate. My spouses insurance may cover it anyway, not sure.
Nice to have all this good info for those of us affected.
gentle hugs to all.....Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  10:19:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I can't see Lidocaine helping long term at all. I wears off in about 3 hours and all it does is numb the area it is put on/injected into. Worse yet- it can sting and burn like crazy for some people!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

janetinva123
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Janet
newport news va
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  10:37:05 PM  Show Profile
I don't have fibro but I have spondylitis which in my case is arthritis in my spine. It has fused the last 3 discs and started fusing the top discs it has also caused swelling of the vertabre so that it pinches a nerve on the spinal cord itself. I have often thought I might try acupuncture but never got around to it. There is no pain medication that helps spondylitis except 2400 mg a day of ibruprofin. There are some new drugs coming out but they are still in the testing phase. Back pain is the worst thing to try and get away from.

Jc
http://beloved-creations.blogspot.com
http://beloved-creations.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  06:08:22 AM  Show Profile
Alee- I had lidocaine injections when I went on Wednesday. Mixed with a small amount of steroids. (Probably cortisone) And it did burn like heck, but not for long! Anyway, I have had no pain in my back since then. She must have hit the right spots to make all of the muscles FINALLY relax. I can feel it coming back a little bit though. She also prescribed a small dose of an anti-depressant. The theory is that the channels that depression follow are the same for pain. I will let you know how that works. I am filling the script today.
Janet- How does your stomach do taking all of that ibuprofen? Do you have to watch your liver function because of it? Gosh, that's a lot of medicine.
How many of you girls exercise regularly? I have been walking on my treadmill and lift weights (small ones) for my shoulders and arms. I don't want to have my muscles stop functioning due to my just sitting because of the pain. This is just a whole new world for me. I am so interested in reading everyone's experiences. It is so helpful.
Hang in there, ladies. We need to stick together.

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Acupuncture for Fibro Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page