showmemom
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

karen
carthage mo
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  3:09:58 PM  Show Profile
my sweet husband's 50th bd was a few days ago and we're having the family party this weekend. does anyone have a recipe for BBQ brisket.

i have 2 big pieces in my freezer to use up.

thanks and talk to you soon. karen

living' large in MO

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  5:22:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi Karen! My DH just celebrated his 50th 2 days ago! here is a brisket recipe from Barefoot Contessa Parties by Ina Garten. It is the best one I have tasted ever! This calls for a 6-7 pound brisket, so you may need to double the ingredients depending on the poundage of your meat. I make the meat ahead of time, slice it when it's cooled a little, then reheat it with the vegetables in an ovenproof serving dish. There should be some good leftovers for sandwhiches!

Brisket with Carrots and Onions

6 to 7 pounds beef brisket
2 Tablespoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons black pepper freshly ground
1 tablespoon minced garlic (4 cloves)
2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks
8 stalks celery cut into 2 inch chunks
6 yellow onions, peeled and sliced
6 fresh or dried bay leaves
2 28 0unce cans of tomato juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Place the brisket in a heavy roasting pan. In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper, garlic, and oregano. Rub the mixture on the brisket. Pule the carrots, celery, onions, and bay leaves on the brisket and pour in enough tomato juice to come to about three quarters of the way up the meat and vegetables. Cover the top of the pan with plastic wrap, then with aluminum foil. The tomato juice will react unpleasantly with the aluminum foil if they touch.

Bake for 3 1/2 hours, or until the meat is tender. Remove the meat from the pan and keep it warm. Place the pan on 2 burners and boil the veggies and sauce over medium heat for another 30 minutes, or until the sauce is thickened. To serve, slice the meat across the grain. Serve with the vegetables.

This is not a classic brisket barbque...I have found when smoking a brisket it becomes dry... If hubby loves barbque which most men do, mine included,I smoke the brisket in a foil pan with fav, barbque sauce, rub the meat in spices like chili powder, black pepper, salt, brown sugar, dill seed and put some beer in the pan and honey on the meat and smoke until done to taste, usually 180 degree to 210 degree smoker and 4 to 5 hours. Enjoy!!!!

The flowers flee from Autumn, but not you-
You are the fearless rose that grows amidst the freezing wind. Rumi
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  5:24:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi Karen, I'll share my mom's recipe. My Grill Lovin', Electric Smoker snob Husband just turned his nose up at this recipe when I told him about it but when I cooked it for him, he went ape! Now he makes it for all sorts of get togethers and happily takes the compliments.

Oven BBQ Brisket

6hrs. cooking time 300F

One 5-6lb Beef Brisket
2 Tbsp. Liquid Smoke
1 Tsp. Celery Salt
1 Tsp. Onion Salt
1 Tsp. Garlic Salt
1 Tsp. Salt
1 Tsp. Pepper
2 Tbsp. Worchestershire Sauce

1-2 cups Bull's Eye Barbeque Sauce

Place brisket on a large sheet of Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil - Shiny side next to meat.
Sprinkle meat with all ingredients EXCEPT the BBQ Sauce.
Wrap closed leaving a small vent for steam.
Place in baking pan and bake for 4 to 5 hours @ 300F

Uncover and slice across the grain. Place meat in a baking dish and pour BBQ Sauce over it, cover, and bake for one more hour.

That's it! We "pull" ours before adding the BBQ Sauce but other perfer slices. It's up to you.

Lucinda

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

showmemom
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

karen
carthage mo
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  06:50:05 AM  Show Profile
thanks lucinda and meadowlark-will let you know how it turns out!

talk to you soon.
karen

living' large in MO
Go to Top of Page

granola girl
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Gina
Valrico Florida
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  07:04:17 AM  Show Profile
Hello Showmemom,

Here is the best BBQ Brisket recipe, given to me by an old friend.

BBQ BEEF BRISKET
This is a great dish for cookouts because it makes itself in the oven, and it's so tasty...

4-5 lb. well trimmed brisket
1 1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. ketchup
1/4 c. vinegar
1/2 c. finely chopped onion
1 T. worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 t. liquid smoke
1 bay leaf, crumbled
1/4 t. pepper

Serves 6-8

Rub meat with salt and place in a 9x13x2 baking pan. Stir together the other ingredients and pour over the meat. Cover the pan well with foil bake at 325 for 3 1/2 hours. When done, remove foil carefully so steam does not burn you. Shred meat with two forks, it will be fork tender. Serve over rolls.

Farmgirl At Heart
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic BBQ Brisket Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page