Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Verbalizing what we think, but don't often say...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Verbalizing what we think, but don't often say... Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  07:30:25 AM  Show Profile
I just wrote my sister in law an email because when we last saw them, we took my little niece and nephew to the St. Mary's Festival, and watched them run around and play games and ride rides, and I simply beam each and every time I'm around those children. And, I've come to the realization that it's not because they're my family--it's because they're REALLY good children. My sil and bil have done an incredible job raising them. We have friends that have kids--several friends, several different aged children, and I have to say, when I'm with them and their children, I NEVER think about having any of my own--in fact, sadly, I make a conscience effort to take my bc pills everyday on time! But it's different when I'm around my niece and nephew, and I get a baby bug everytime. It's because they're truly lovely children-and yes, they have little fits and test boundaries, but it's the way my sil and bil handle the outbursts, and the overall way they've given structure to their lives. They ALWAYS say thank you, they ALWAYS say please, and those are just simple things that I note, are inexistent with our peers' children. Anyway, as hokey as it might be perceived, I just wanted my sil to know how much I value her, and the way she has raised her children. So, I told her so.

I think it often, I say it to other people, but I finally realized that I should tell her, too

Just a little thought for today--if you think something nice about someone, you should let them know!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  07:40:42 AM  Show Profile
That's a really nice compliment to your sil and bil, and I'm sure they are beaming after reading your email! You're right about manners today....kids just don't seem to be taught the basic values of manners anymore, and when you come across a child that automatically says thank you or please...you're taken aback. lol! Congratulations to your in-laws for doing such a wonderful job!

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  07:41:30 AM  Show Profile
You are so right, Jonni. We need to focus on the positive and let people know we we appreciate them. Thanks for the reminder. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  07:51:41 AM  Show Profile
What, you all can't read my mind? :) Thanks for the reminder. I'm so glad you did this. It is so easy to overlook, and so rewarding to everyone involved. :) By the way, I get such a positive boost out of these chats with all of you farmgirls. Thanks!

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  07:53:51 AM  Show Profile
I bet your SIL & BIL will be so blessed by you! As a parent it's good to hear when something is going right!! And it's SO very true, when need to take they time to tell people the good things we are thinking!

Have a great day!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  08:47:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I wish those children lived near me! LOL! They are a rare and endangered species - give them a kiss and a pat on the head from all of us! And your sil and bil deserve all the kudos they can stand!
And it's sad that nobody seems to expect kudos anymore. Last week, I took two chocolate pies to the Ky Land Company office. I walked in and sat both white boxes on the desk of the owner(Bucky). Bless his heart, he reached in his pocket to give me money - LOL - he thought I was selling donuts! I sat down next to him and looked him in the eye and told him all the things he's done for my dh and myself and how grateful we are - things that he went out of his way to do. He tried to shrug it all off, but he has made my life better in major ways.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner

Edited by - Miss Bee Haven on Aug 29 2007 08:49:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  09:05:23 AM  Show Profile
What a nice thing, Janice! You're right, though--noone really knows how to except a compliment, or good deed. We're such a society that instead of one good deed turns another, we think you WANT something from us, when you offer kindness. So suspicious of everyone's motives and intentions.

They are an anomoly (my niece and nephew), and I think that's why I had to tell her. I talked to my friend on Friday night, the mother of a 5 year old and a 3 year old (who is still nursing) and she can't have a minute to herself. The 3 year old started crying the minute she got on the phone and didn't stop for a solid 20 minutes. I finally told her that I'd simply talk with her later. This isn't abnormal, either. The 5 year old got mad at her while she was talking with me because she wouldn't get up "and mow the lawn" so the little girl could get out her toy lawnmower and mow with her. I don't recall my mother being around to be my constant entertainment. She played with me, she talked to me, and she loved me unconditionally, but when she had things to do, she did them, and I was on my own, or taking a nap, or what have you. I just feel like these kids run over my friend, and she completely allows it. Our other friends children call them by their first names. Yuk. It makes me feel blechy.

I guess it was good timing, my email, because Ava had her first day of pre-school today, and Max went to Mother's Day Out, so my sil was feeling a little wistful. She said Ava walked into her class, hung up her schoolbag, gave her a kiss and never looked back!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  09:55:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh that Ava and Max sound like lovely kids! You are a sweet person to let her know how you feel Jonni!

And that was a good reminder for us all. Last night as I was rushing off the phone with my super wonderful mom who has taken the burden of planning my wedding on herself, I realized maybe I hadn't let her know how very much both Doug and I appreciate it. So even though I needed to get going to pick up a very tired Doug from work, I took a minute to let her know how wonderful she is and how much we both appreciate it!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  12:45:43 PM  Show Profile
What a wise woman you are, Jonni. We all thrive on sincere expressions of love, but kids just eat it up. Necessary to grow the soul at any age.

Good going!

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

check out my etsy site http://ThePlayfulFarmgirl.etsy.com

Take me home, country roads
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  7:10:55 PM  Show Profile
Jonni it's SO WONDERFUL that you let your SIL know how much you admire the job she & your brother are doing raising their kids! I know those comments mean a lot to a Momma! When you devote your life to raising a family, it's so great to have someone cheer you on once in a while! Good job Jonni!

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  7:19:47 PM  Show Profile
What great thoughts. Why is it people are so quick to point out the negative but slow to give praise. What a wonderful world it would be if we all built each other up instead of tearing down.

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Verbalizing what we think, but don't often say... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page