Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic New adventure Next Topic  

sweetthunder214
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

theresa
smithville tx
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  04:47:09 AM  Show Profile  Send sweetthunder214 an AOL message  Send sweetthunder214 a Yahoo! Message
Ok.. we are off on a new adventure with a new critter. I say that because it always seems an adventure to try new ones. We bought sixteen guinea chicks. The two smallest ones did not make it but everyone else seems to be thriving. We have them in a big box in the spare bathroom for now and have their outdoor home almost finished. Hubby is making them an A frame shelter. I am worried for all the preditors we have here but the neighbor keeps guineas on their place. I also hope they dont decide to go join that flock. I have read up on all my dos and donts so hopefully I will do it right. The reason to get them in the first place was grasshoppers. I have an epidemic of them and really hopeing these little birds make gourmet of them. Wish us luck.. tee hee

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  06:17:12 AM  Show Profile
Good luck and goodbye to grasshoppers. Guineas make good watchdogs/ (birds). MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  10:48:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am sure they will do wonderfully. Several farmgirls are now raising Guinea chicks so it seems they are becoming more popular. Byt the way- what is the plural form for Guinea? Guinnies? Guineaies? Guineays? Guineas?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

sweetthunder214
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

theresa
smithville tx
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  05:36:50 AM  Show Profile  Send sweetthunder214 an AOL message  Send sweetthunder214 a Yahoo! Message
haha.. Dont ask me. I am soooooo not the english teacher! In fact dumb redneck comes to mind.. tee hee
Go to Top of Page

sweetthunder214
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

theresa
smithville tx
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2007 :  6:48:56 PM  Show Profile  Send sweetthunder214 an AOL message  Send sweetthunder214 a Yahoo! Message
Ok.. well the adventure having a little bit of a rough start. Im very sad to report I have lost a few. I went out this evening to check their water and food and two of my babies were dead. Fire ants got them. One is in the house in a box now and not expected to make it. I am giving it water through a dropper hopeing it can get stronger but its eyes are swollen shut right now. I am so sad this has happened. I couldnt believe their little heads were gone. I dont think I will ever get used to loosing animals. Sometimes I think I should just give up. Thanks for listening to me whine. :(
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2007 :  8:14:19 PM  Show Profile
That is just awful.
geez ya just never know what will happen. Bring them all in and set up an indoor nursery.lol I am so sorry though. the rest will make it. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

sweetthunder214
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

theresa
smithville tx
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  05:51:59 AM  Show Profile  Send sweetthunder214 an AOL message  Send sweetthunder214 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Marybeth.. the third one passed some time after 2am this morning. I can only imagine the pain the poor thing felt. I have never been the one to put an animal down. Even if I know they are in pain. I did it once with my dog and just cant stand taking nature into my own hands.
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  1:39:36 PM  Show Profile
Hang in there. You still have 12 or so left (I'm not good at math!) and they are prob the strong ones and will make it. I've heard they are good watch-chickens also.

Winona ;-)

Don't sweat the small stuff...

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic New adventure Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page