Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 canning and jamming with paraffin?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic canning and jamming with paraffin? Next Topic  

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  10:13:01 AM  Show Profile
When I was a wee lass, we would get baskets of preserves, jams and jellies with paraffin on top and no lids from older family members...is it safe? how does one do so safely? I never got sick from it, so I am curious since I can't seem to find lids for many of the jars that I've inherited and I'm a noob to putting up food.

Any help would be very graciously accepted
Regards
Annika

Edited by - Annika on Aug 28 2007 10:13:26 AM

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  10:21:40 AM  Show Profile
My Aunt used to can Jellies and Jams this way too but before I canned some strawberyy jam I looked it up and this is an outdated method and isn't concidered safe. What brand are your jars. I found replacement lids and tops at walmart and my local agway. I have even found then on line. I would just google the size you need. I found canning addictive. I love having the food I grow year round. And they taste so much better than mass produced foods.

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams

Edited by - LadyCrystal on Aug 28 2007 10:22:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  12:55:33 PM  Show Profile
My mom always canned jam and jelly with parrafin on top..I did it once and then decided that it is way easier and less messy for me (I tend to make messes where others might not!) to use the 2 part lids and canning jars so I have always done that ever since. I just love canning..you will too I am sure!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  1:58:24 PM  Show Profile
My mother always sealed her concord grape jelly with parrafin. I have always used lids and rings. I guess it's just a matter of preference. We never became ill from eating her jelly. Her tomato soup surprise, however, is a different story. :)

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sunny
True Blue Farmgirl

120 Posts

120 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  2:46:25 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone,

I have also read and heard what LadyCrystal said about paraffin not being considered safe these days.

Annika, I've just started a canning club here in Moscow. I'd love to hear from you, and we'll all be happy to share what we know. Just call me at MaryJanesFarm - 208-882-6819.

Karin, that was interesting what you said about your mother's tomato soup surprise! I just heard a food lecturer recently who said not all tomatoes (especially with the new hybrids) are acid enough for safe hot water bath canning unless more acid is added. (It sounds like that recipe was quite a surprise!)

~Sunny
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  4:03:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sunny-

Now you have me worried about the spaghetti sauce I canned! I didn't add any extra acid- should I hurry up and use it all?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  6:12:30 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for the replies. :)
Sunny, I'm a bit people shy, but I'd love to share in the canning fun. I will give a call at some point and trouble you for advice no doubt, thank you for the Reply. I'm trying to find others in the area to chat with and share ideas with.

Best
Annika
Go to Top of Page

Sunny
True Blue Farmgirl

120 Posts

120 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  3:57:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi Alee, Annika, and Everyone!

I didn't mean to ignore anyone (since Aug. 28th)!!! I just found all these posting notifications in my (automatically sorted) Junk Mail Folder! (A too-ambitious spam catcher.)

Anyway, Annika, please do call about canning. We have not had the opportunity to get together as a club to can yet, but maybe someday we will! It's such an unfortunate thing that summertime is just so busy with so many things for everyone to get done, and that's when all the produce is ready to be canned!!! I tried many new things this year, but it was by myself, and usually at 10 or 11 at night...not the best time to have a social / educational canning get together!

But please call anyway...the more that are interested, the more likely we will all make time to do it.

And Alee, about the spaghetti sauce, it's probably fine, but just to be sure, simmer it for a long time (more than 1/2 hour) before eating it. That's how our ancestors didn't all die of botulism from improperly canned food...they cooked it to death, even after canning it!

Recommended book: "Quick Pickles" by Schlesinger, Willoughby, and George. (No canning equipment necessary, and a great way to get started!)

Happy Canning,

~Sunny
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic canning and jamming with paraffin? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page