UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  11:46:16 AM  Show Profile
I have an opportunity to purchase a used and in good condition Bob Marshall treeless sport saddle for a VERY good price. My friend who is letting me learn how to care for a horse on her unsound horse has this saddle and is willing to sell it to me for 1/2 of what she can get for it because she is so excited for me about getting into the horse world. She is letting me borrow it for a while to get used to it since its a treeless and it takes some getting used to. Does anyone have any expirence with them? Do you like them. I am extremely comfortable in it, it's a good price. It does slip a little on my lesson horse but he is a big fat barrel of a horse so I am demoing a thinline neoprine pad to see if the saddle with stop moving. I know I shouldn't buy a saddle before I own a horse but it is a wonderful price and I should get more than what I paid for it if it dosen't work on whatever new horse I get, but they claim that it fits most horses since it's treeless. I'm just curious if anyone is familiar with them and how do they like them.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."

Mnhorsemom
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Kathy
Battle Lake minnesota
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2007 :  07:10:42 AM  Show Profile
Just my .02 worth but...The tree is what gives the saddle stability on the horses back, without that stability you can have problems with sore backs. I have a friend that works with a vet in Texas that does a lot of accupunture/chiro work and they told me that they see a lot of problems in horses ridden with these type saddles. (I have a LARGE quarter horse that I was having trouble finding a saddle that would fit and had thought about going with the treeless) I decided against the treeless saddle and finally had one custom made.

Farm House Formulas Battle Lake, MN
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2007 :  07:45:47 AM  Show Profile
Yep, the treeless isn't a good deal from what I've heard. I haven't ever plunked my tushie in one but the rolling is the big prob from what I've heard from others. That makes probs for the horse, of course. Another thing, and this is just the horse trader in me talking, but why would anyone sell something for 1/2 of what they could get? Just something to think on...

Winona ;-)

Don't sweat the small stuff...

http://goneridingagain.bravehost.com

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic horse saddle questions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page