Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Rain drops are falling on my head
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Rain drops are falling on my head Next Topic  

Shirlaroo
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Shirley

Australia
297 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2007 :  10:50:33 PM  Show Profile
It has rained at Ludwig hills for four days straight. This is so needed and much welcomed. The creeks are brimming, and I even had to pick my daughter up early from school in fear that she would get flooded out. So much depends on the rain when you are a farmer. Now we can relax a bit, knowing we have enough water for the stock to last us through the spring. An added bonus is it has also topped up our swimming hole!

Friends are the best collectables.

Edited by - Shirlaroo on Aug 27 2007 12:05:47 AM

tiffany01
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Tiffany
Indiana
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  03:19:33 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad you're thankful for the rain, Shirley! We've had our share this week too but after a 3 block walk to work in a downpour on Monday, it was hard to be grateful sitting in wet socks and pants all day! :)
Go to Top of Page

knewslady
True Blue Farmgirl

555 Posts

Kathy
Russellville KY
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  04:18:21 AM  Show Profile
We would love to have some of that rain here in southern Kentucky. I am really afraid big pine trees in my yard are going to die if they don't soon get some water. I know it has been well over three weeks since we have had a drop and it is so hot, everything looks dead. I desperately trying to save all of my hydrangeas.
Kathy

Will always be a farmgirl at heart
Visit my online shop at http://thebackfence.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  09:09:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh, isn't the rain lovely? I think almost everywhere in the world needs rain this year, except Texas! :) I am so glad that it will help your ranch out so much!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  12:56:30 PM  Show Profile
Shirley, rain is grand, we had a couple days of it and wow what a diffence.
Kathy hoping you get some real soon.
Carol Sue

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  3:36:05 PM  Show Profile
We got some much needed rain as well. We've been in a 7 years drought, so the rains that came late last week and into this week are much needed. But we had two small towns devistated by too much rain and a lot of hail - some houses were swept away over a mile. Not good!

Mother Nature is certainly in a bad mood this year all over the world.

Annie
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  7:18:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh my gosh Annie! I had not heard about that! I hope everyone was ok and no loss of life!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  7:32:20 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Alee. Luckily, no one lost their life, just a lot of cuts from the baseball size hail and cuts from broken glass from houses and cars. We had some flooding in the town we live by (front page news in the local paper), by since we live on top of a mountain, the water just washed out our gravel road to the bed rock. 95% of all the houses in one town were damaged by the hail and in the other town that had the houses washing away, about 1/4 of the town was hit hard, but everyone had damage. Lots of water in basements, railroad tracks up-rooted from the fast moving water, cars/trucks washed along road, etc. They estimated about 10" of rain fell total with high winds and lots of lightning. Luckily there were no new forest fires caused by the lightning. In the eastern side of the state they had so much rain that the corn and wheat crops are now under water and ruined.

Since the towns were little and not in a large city or populated state like what's going on now, we don't get the coverage on national news so no one knows about how hard we were hit.

Like I said, Mother Nature must be going through PMS or menopause - either way, she's not a happy camper.

Annie
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  9:51:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Annie-

I know how it is. 10" of rain is a ton for Wyoming/South Dakota area. Especially since some areas only get 1" a year normally! I hope some good come out of all that rain, at least! Hopefully the rivers and lakes got a good freshening (knocking out the old debris and such) and the lakes should be brimming full now too!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2007 :  07:19:16 AM  Show Profile
I'm so glad you are getting a much needed and wanted rain. Here in the Midwest, we are getting far more then we need! Just southwest of Chicago, we have all of the lakes, ponds, and canals filled to the brim. They are just starting to overflow in some places. Unfortunately with all that rain, lots of downed beautiful trees too. Ever notice the newer or undesirable trees survive, it's the beautiful stately ones that get hit? It is quite a pretty green outside though, looks like Ireland!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Shirlaroo
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Shirley

Australia
297 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2007 :  5:03:12 PM  Show Profile
I agree Annie, The weather is just getting stranger and stranger. 20 years ago the weather was rather predictable. The creeks were always running. And you would know that you would always get a moderate flood in January, with the wet summer storms. It was always hot in summer and cold in winter. It was so hot here the other day I was wearing shorts and singlet yet the day before I rugged myself up in a blanket.What is going on!

Hope your community is recovering well from the floods.

Edited by - Shirlaroo on Aug 25 2007 5:11:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Shirlaroo
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Shirley

Australia
297 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2007 :  5:19:27 PM  Show Profile
Oh, by the way it is sunny here today. So I thought I would do a load of washing right. So I put in the detergent and start up the machine. When it stops its cycle I go to hang it out, but there is nothing in the machine! I forgot to put the clothes in! What a waste of the lovley water we just caught in our tank. Does everyone become this much of an airhead when they get a couple of kids?

Edited by - Shirlaroo on Aug 25 2007 5:24:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  04:05:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Shirley! I have done that before! Or forgot to put the lid down on clothes that were needed for work so I go in to put in the dryer and they are still sitting in a huge basin of water!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  6:36:22 PM  Show Profile
Things are getting back to being green now after so much rain and the fire bans here in the Black Hills look like they'll be lifted soon. But the one town that had rushing water push the houses miles away, are now having to deal with looters taking stuff from the damaged houses. How can people do such a horrible thing to people who have gone through such an ordeal as it is!!! The local grocery store had rushing water going into half the store, but people who had come in to shop helped the owners/staff clean up the store. And the cars that were stalled in the roadways have now been moved.

I just wonder how many insurance companies will go belly up with all the claims all over the U.S. And if you buy organic - most of the organic farms are in Wisconsin and they had flooding that ruined all or a good portion of their farmland. So that means little or very costly organic produce, etc.

Shirley, don't worry - I can go into a room and forget why I went in there in the first place. Of course I can blame mine on senior moments!!!! My DH just thinks it's cute when I have to ask him what it was I was suppose to do.

Annie
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2007 :  6:13:58 PM  Show Profile
Shirley,
Hooray for the rain - we are all watching it at the moment! I recently visited with Mum and Dad and their guest room has the water tank next to it. It rained all night and I just love listening to the tank filling up. I didn't sleep as I just wanted to listen to the tank!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Shirlaroo
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Shirley

Australia
297 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  12:43:37 AM  Show Profile
Jayne, isn't that a lovley sound. We have a tin roof also, makes rainy nights very relaxing.

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Rain drops are falling on my head Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page