Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 mammary tumor- UPDATE lost her today
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic mammary tumor- UPDATE lost her today Next Topic  

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2007 :  1:31:15 PM  Show Profile
As if I wasn't having bad enough luck with my son, one of my Shih Tzus has a mammary tumor. She will have to have surgery to get rid of it and be spayed. I was planning on having one more litter with her, but it's not a big deal. I would rather have her healthy. My dad is the one that took her to the vet, so I'll have to look it up on the internet to learn more. She never did gain weight very well after her last litter, so maybe that's what it's from. Has anyone else heard of this or had any experience with it?

Edited by - PlumCreekMama on Sep 20 2007 8:01:55 PM

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  8:00:08 PM  Show Profile
Well, Sukey got spayed and before the vet had a chance to remove the tumor, her heart rate dropped to 25, so he had to sew her up. Within a few days, she had a second tumor and developed more ulcers on her sides, eye, and mouth. So I pretty much figured the cancer was spread to more than just the mammaries. The vet agreed. He said we could remove the tumors, but more would keep coming. Sukey was down to only 6 pounds and still losing (she is a Shih Tzu) and had a ulcer in her eye and a fever, so he had me giving her antibiotics. Within 2 days, she was so bad she could hardly walk, barely drank, and only ate if I hand fed her people food. This afternoon, I took her for one last car ride to the vets. The look in her eyes she was trying to tell me that it was ok to let her go. She was just in way too much pain. I told her how much I loved her and what a good girl she was. I told her to find our other passed friends in heaven and that I would see her again someday and to keep my pillow warm for me. I feel better knowing that I got to say goodbye and that her suffering is now over, but my heart is broken. She was like a daughter to me. She was also a second mother to my babies. She would lay with my babies on the floor and chase away any other dog that tried to get near. Even if the other dog outweighed her by 50 pounds! She was a very good mama to her own puppies too. She nearly always slept in bed with me, and I think I had the feeling already last night that it may be our last night together. I didn't fall asleep until 2 am because I was afraid if I fell asleep she would die. I am glad that I was there for her, that the last thing she ever felt was me stroking her fur and the last thing she heard was me telling her goodbye and I would miss her. I know she is up there in heaven still watching over me and my babies. I wish I could have had more time with her, but I will always cherish the time we did have. I have so many great memories of Sukey. The house seems so empty without her. Even with the other dogs here, it still isn't the same. I know she is in a better place, but I can't stop crying. This is the third dog I have lost this year and I am feeling very depressed. I try to believe that God does everything for a reason, but it's hard to have faith when this year has been so bad.
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  8:03:21 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I am so sorry about your Sukey. It is so hard to lose a pet that has been such an important part of your lives. The only consolation is that she no longer has to suffer.

(((hugs))) to you.

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  8:28:38 PM  Show Profile
Heather Bless your heart! I am so sorry for the loss of your dear dog. I cried reading your thoughts and mirror what you are going through. Just last week we put down our sweet little Dachshund Mandy. We miss her dearly. Know that you are remembered and thought of.

Hugs, Maryjane Lee

The Beehive Cottage~est. 1971
"Sisters on the Fly"
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  9:06:43 PM  Show Profile
From one Sukey momma to another (mine was a Suki), I feel your pain and loss. *hugs*

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  9:29:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Heather- I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I know how if feels to have to say goodbye to friend is more family than pet. *hugs*

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  9:34:25 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I am so sorry for the loss of your Sukey. Losing a furry part of the family is hard, but you did the best for her and she is thankful. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  03:44:32 AM  Show Profile
So sorry that you had to say goodbye to your beloved Sukey. It is so hard, isn't it? You were so brave to be with her as she passed over, and she is greatful for your words as she left. May your many fond memories of her help you as you grieve your loss.

www.youaretoocreative.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  04:06:04 AM  Show Profile
Heather, so very sorry for your loss.

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9372 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9372 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  04:20:51 AM  Show Profile
Aw Heather,
I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your precious friend. We just lost one of ours in Aug. to kidney disease. I understand how you feel and just know that she is no longer suffering. I'm sure she knows you loved her. We made a special place for our girl and everytime I go out on my swing in the backyard I can see where we put her and we have a marker for her. It has helped me a lot that we have her here and there is a big azealea bush that will bloom white flowers in the spring right near her.
I know you will miss her.
Hugs,
Denise

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  05:57:02 AM  Show Profile
Heather, so sorry to hear about Sukey. She was a lucky and well-loved pet, that's obvious from your post. I am glad you were able to be with her, and I am sure she will be keeping your pillow warm...

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  06:15:13 AM  Show Profile
Heather, I'm sorry about the loss of Sukey, but take comfort in knowing that she is comfortable and in a better place now.

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

peapodjane
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

127 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  08:40:14 AM  Show Profile
My sympathy to you and your family in the loss of Sukey,you have enjoyed her life so much, I am glad you could be with her, and have all the happy memories of her spirit.
Take Care,
peapodjane
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  10:12:25 AM  Show Profile
awww Heather..sending you a big hug. so very sorry for the loss.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2007 :  06:31:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
I'm so sorry about your loss. I have lost pets too and it is always heartwrenching. Take care and I'm sending out a big hug to you and your family. {{HUG}}

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2007 :  07:04:25 AM  Show Profile
Thank you everyone for your support. It has helped tremendously. I am feeling much better. It was very hard watching Sukey suffer. I told me 2 1/2 year old son who was looking for her that she went bye bye and she was an angel in the sky. So the next day he was calling for her and I told him she went bye bye, remember? And he looked up and pointed and said "ceiling, Sukey, ceiling". Hope that makes all of you smile the way it did me!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  06:49:20 AM  Show Profile
I am so sorry about Sukey--it's devastating to lose a pet, I sure do know that.
My thoughts are with you and your family at this time--it will be lonely for a while, but she will always be with you, just like my Lil is still with me.

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic mammary tumor- UPDATE lost her today Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page