Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 getting to know me: MEMORABLE PERSON IN MY LIFE
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic getting to know me: MEMORABLE PERSON IN MY LIFE Next Topic  

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  9:19:37 PM  Show Profile
o.k. .. i 'thunk' of another question! tell us about a 'memorable person' in your life. someone who has been an inspiration, mentor, life-line, life-saver, special friend or family member, (even a 'stranger' if they have made an important impact on your life). i'm gonna' hit the bed now .. but tomorrow, i'll tell you all about my 'nannie'.

True Friends, Frannie

FREEDOM VALLEY FARM
KENTUCKY

http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com/

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2007 :  07:02:04 AM  Show Profile
I grew up in a really kooky, disfunctional and I guess you could say toxic family. The people I will be forever grateful to were Marv and Joyce! They were my youth pastor and his wife when I was in high school. They took a very messed up kid under their wing, gave her a lot of love and an example of what life could be. I'll be eternally grateful to them forever!!!!
Go to Top of Page

a rose
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Linda
Waterford NY
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2007 :  07:38:32 AM  Show Profile
There was a lady, a very special lady and her name was Gladys. She was my Aunt who was married to my mother's brother. She lost her husband to a hunting accident and her world fell apart.
My father, a miserable man, who was quite the ladies man swept her off her feet in her days of mourning, and he left us for her.
Everyone hated her for what she had done. Everyone but me. My heart ached for her because now she was the victim of the abuse of this miserable man.
My aunt was a good women and a lady. She was always there for me, and showed me how to hold up my head when my heart was breaking in two.
She lived with her shame of what had happened in her days of mourning for many years and was relieved when he left her because of me. It's a long sad story but I will never forget her. She was a proper lady and a good women. As the saying goes "you can't judge a book by it's cover.

Remember me as a rose.
Go to Top of Page

cabinmoose
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Lorna
Forest Hill MD
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2007 :  07:53:05 AM  Show Profile  Send cabinmoose an AOL message  Send cabinmoose a Yahoo! Message
My "nannie", Lorna Jean Brewer! She was my father's Mother and just an all around wonderful woman. She taught me about life, love and happiness.. she taught me to cook, can, sew, craft, to sit under the willow tree and watch the sunset..... My favorite memories of her were picking grapes to make jelly with and decorating her doll house as the seasons changed. I will have to post a pic of that doll house that I hope to start refinishing this fall. (on a side note, when I was packing up the doll house to move it to my place, bless her heart, she had a picture of my grandfather (Whom I called Dadoo) over the mantle and an urn on the fireplace. There were ashes in the urn? Dadoo? I don't know......but I bet they were....she missed him sooooo)

We shared many tears of joy, laughter, sadness and so much more. I have a jar of plum jam sitting her on the computer desk that she made in 1987, it brings back so very many fond memories. She was taken from us at a very young age by Alzheimers. She is missed, loved and thought of often.

Thanks for this question. It brings back alot of fond memories......

Cheers,

Lorna
Forest Hill, MD

“I laugh, I love, I hope, I try, I hurt, I need, I fear, I cry.
And I know you do the same things too, So we're really
not that different, me and you.” ~Colin Raye
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2007 :  08:03:39 AM  Show Profile
my sweeet 'nannie' was my daddy's SISTER .. she was a strong woman .. and when my daddy got sick and my momma left .. she didn't hesitate a moment becoming our care-taker. nannie (Annie Lee) was a young woman and engaged at this time in the mid-1940's. her 'beau' did NOT want a ready-made family (which included three small children and my ill dad) .. so as the story goes .. she told him that "as long as i have a crust of bread it will be shared between these three beautiful children and their father". he left .. she never married (never had another man in her life) .. but lovingly and honorably raised my brother, sister and me and took care of my dad until she was in her 80's and had to go into a nursing home.

i was with her at the hospital the night she died. i had never seen a terminally ill person and surely had never ever seen anyone who had died or was dying. the doctor told me what to expect when the end was near. when she started showing these signs .. it was the middle of the night .. i called my daddy (who was still living in her home by himself .. and was in his 70's at the time). (my dad had been diagnosed with schizophrenia when i was a young child and had lived his entire (mentally ill) adult life with our nannie ... oh my .. that is another story .. with a very happy ending! .. will share that story in another 'question posting' .. i could do it right here under this one though because my dad is the 'sweetest memorable person in my life'.

when my dad answered the phone .. i told him that 'nannie is leaving us and i know that the last voice she would want to hear in life was his because she loved him so very much'. and i SWEAR .. for the first time in my entire memory of him .. he spoke clearly, sanely, and lovingly to her. i put the phone to her ear and got very close to her cheek and listened as he told her: "annie, all is well ... it will be alright .. you are a good woman". he kept repeating comforting phrases to her until i believe she lost all consciousness. nannie and our dad's family loved us and took good care of us and taught us wonderful life values .. the biggest one that has made an impact on me personally has been to 'love your family .. always be there for them'.

True Friends, Frannie

FREEDOM VALLEY FARM
KENTUCKY

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Aug 23 2007 5:21:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2007 :  08:14:15 AM  Show Profile
My Grandpa Ed, but we called him Dadoo too Lorna! I was his first granddaughter and we lived next door to him and Mamaw till I was 9. I thought he hung the moon just for me! I adored him and still miss him so much. I was his shadow and he taught me to love the outdoors and nature. He was a custodian at an elementary school, so at the end of the year he would bring all the classroom animals home to me! I guess that's where my love of animals comes from. I always had pet ducks, chickens, lizards, birds, kittens, turtles, and I was especially thrilled to get a white rat named FiFi!! I remember my poor mother being mortified!! Dadoo was 1/2 Choctaw/Cherokee, so I was taught very early to respect the land and animals, and to love the beauty of the outdoors. I only saw him drink one time, while on a camping trip....he had one beer and started dancing and singing indian songs and fell right in the campfire! He was fine, but I quickly learned why we didn't drink! I could go on and on with stories of my Dadoo, but this is a glimpse of the wonderful grandpa he was.

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
http://luzy.etsy.com- My etsy store!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2007 :  09:32:43 AM  Show Profile
Frannie, I'm confused - "my sweeet 'nannie' was my daddy's brother .. she was a strong woman" Could you clarify? thanks, (lovely story BTW)
Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2007 :  10:13:36 AM  Show Profile
I would have to say my "memorable person" is my Mom....my hero! She is the most amazing woman I know!! My parents had 5 children, all girls. Mom worked full time just like Dad did but she worked nights and I don't ever remember her not being home. She would go to work after we were in bed and she was there in the morning when we got up. She got us all up and dressed for school in the morning, had breakfast ready and lunches packed. She walked the older girls to the bus stop and then walked my younger sister and I to grade school. She would walk to the school and get me at lunch (I had HUGE separation anxiety in 1st grade!!!) and bring me home and we would have lunch together and watch As The World Turns.....I still watch it every single day all these years later!! She never complained, never raised her voice, never got angry. If she was sick she just handled it quietly, never let on that she didn't feel well. She gave her love and time and attention freely......not just to her children but to anyone who needed it. She went without so that we could have what we needed, again never complaining about it......just did it because that is what a Mom does. She took great pride in her home and kids and her work, she gave 100% to everything she did.

She is Mom to 5, Grandma to 12 and Great-Grandma to 6 so far and we all love and adore her! I have always said that if I could be just half the Mom/wife/Grandma that she is then I would have been a very sucessful woman!!
Go to Top of Page

gateway girl
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Shari
Missouri
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2007 :  2:08:55 PM  Show Profile
My memorable person would have to be our live-in housekeeper, Isabell Knauft. My mother died when I was six leaving my father with 8 kids, the youngest was 4 months old. My father refused to split up the family and put an ad in the newspaper for a live-in housekeeper. Isabell answered the ad and we all fell in love with her. She was a german woman from Wisconsin. The ultimate farmgirl! She had the biggest heart, always kind, patient, and understanding. She raised us as her own. She would take us to her family dairy farm in Wisconsin for all Holidays and over summer break. This is where I became a farmgirl at heart. Everything she did she offered to teach us how to do. Cook, clean, sew, quilt, make candles, can veggies and fruits,plant and take care of a garden and to take care of all kinds of animals. She was never in a hurry and always took the time to explain things to us. She taught us all how to love, laugh, and find happiness in life. She did everything a mom would do and I know there were times that my dad wouldn't be able to pay her the salary he promised, when he promised, but she didn't let that bother her. She was one special lady! She lived with us until I was 13 and my dad remarried. She moved back to Wisconsin and passed away from Alzheimers in her early 70's. She was much more than a housekeeper, she was my mom. She is very much loved and missed.

Shari

Life is a chain of moments of enjoyment, it's not just about survival. Live every second to it's fullest!

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2007 :  5:21:27 PM  Show Profile
WHOOPS .. SISTER! THERE WERE 9 CHILDREN IN MY DAD'S FAMILY .. FOUR GIRLS .. FIVE BOYS.

True Friends, Frannie

FREEDOM VALLEY FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Shirlaroo
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Shirley

Australia
297 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2007 :  11:05:32 PM  Show Profile
My memorable person is my grade 6 teacher. Her name was Mrs Mcduff. Back then I didnt appreciate her and thought she was old and out of date. But now I look back and realise she actually cared about her students and taught us things I have not learnt anywhere else. She taught us more then just maths and english. We studied the weather patterns and gardening and I remember sitting at my desk pretending my pencils were cutlery and my pencil case was a plate as she taught us dining etiquette. When I think back now, I learnt more in that one year then I did in my entire school life.

Friends are the best collectables.

Edited by - Shirlaroo on Aug 25 2007 6:13:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

gateway girl
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Shari
Missouri
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  1:19:19 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, we ended up beating your Dad's family. My step-mom had 3 girls of her own so we ended up with 8 girls 3 boys. When dad remarried he built on to the original 6 room/ 2 bath house and made it a 14 room/3 bath house. They sold the house when the youngest moved out, and because it was so big they had a hard time. Luckily God sent an extended family of a mom, dad, 6 kids and 2 elderly aunts to buy the house. The memories that house holds!

Shari

Life is a chain of moments of enjoyment, it's not just about survival. Live every second to it's fullest!

Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  5:30:07 PM  Show Profile
My great uncle, Uncle Ivon, was the grandfather I never had. He was married to my dad's father's sister and was like a father to my dad, because my grandfather was a womanizer and child abuser. Dad stayed with His aunt and uncle for two summers on their farm when he was about eight and nine, and learned lots of "boy stuff" as well as farming! Later, they kept a separate garden and fed my parents from it when they moved to a city not far from the farm while Dad was in school. Uncle Ivon had no children of his own, and when my brother, then I was born, gloried in our visits. He sent me a piano from Michigan to Delaware when I was eight, and my last memory of him was when, at sixteen we were visiting, he asked me to climb onto his lap so he could hold me... he was ninety-four. I felt totally loved by him.

My aunt died about twenty years before Uncle Ivon, and he lived alone all those years, waiting eagerly for the day when he could join her in heaven.

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  10:48:45 PM  Show Profile
Oh Frannie, what a wonderful topic. I SO enjoyed reading about all these wonderful and memorable people! What great stories, heroes every one!

I could write a book about my Grandparents, Ralph & Beaulah Dalton, and what I tell here is a fraction of their lifelong devotion to others.

Ralph & Beaul raised 8 kids during the depression, and nurtured several others in their home as their own, including two grandsons. Gram (untrained) delivered over 100 babies in her community, and sewed quilts and teddy bears for hundreds more. She made sure every boy & girl in her neighborhood had food, shoes & clean clothing at a time when many did not. Gram nursed the sick in her community and shared what food they had. Gramp built the road that took them (and everyone else) to town, with just a shovel & an old pick up truck. He was the most honest, kind, generous man I have ever known. They sent 5 boys to Korea & got every one back home safely-in my mind a direct result of their diligent prayers. My grandparents never spoke ill of others and loved their neighbors-even the unlovable ones.

Visiting their home was always a huge treat. Gram always had fresh homemade cookies and bread, and could put a FEAST on the table in under 20 minutes! In the spring she took us for walks in the woods and taught us the names of wildflowers. In the winter she wrapped our feet in bread bags and layers of wool socks, under our boots, and took us to the big hill for sledding. She read and sang to us incessantly. We picked armloads of daffodils, which are to this day one of my favorites because of her. She didn't scold us when we picked all the pears, still hard & green, off HER tree and went door to door, with HER wagon, trying to sell them to HER neighbors. Beaulah was blind in one eye her entire life and suffered terribly from asthma, but I never heard her mention either. All her sentences were punctuated by the phrase "Lord willing", and she prayed "without ceasing" for everyone.

Gramp planted Catalpa trees around the perimeter of his yard. They were his pride & joy. He also planted soft little circles of grass under the trees to sit on, & convinced us that fairies danced there after dark. He had a little shed out back where he smoked his pipe. He kept an amazing array of things in the "poutin' shanty". When we were kids we found a small flask hidden there, which Gram told us was "for medicinal purposes". The shed's ceiling was covered in drying twists of home grown tobacco and hot, hot peppers, Gramp's only two vices! He used to play a game with us where he'd "count our ribs". Of course this tickled horribly & resulted in him "starting over" many times. Ralph claimed to like only two kinds of pie..."hot & cold". He complained bitterly that he never got enough biscuits-even though Beaulah baked them every day of their lives together! He also told me (and each of his 25 grandkids) that "your ole dog isn't worth very much" ... and then he'd offer to buy our beloved pet(s) for a quarter. When he was buried, the grandkids made sure he had a pocket full of change...to be sure he could get himself a good dog when he got to where he was going.

Gram & Gramp had the biggest vegetable garden I've ever seen. They grew EVERYTHING, and nothing went to waste. They rotated crops, composted their scraps, and companion planted. They were green before anyone!
As an adult they taught me everything they knew about plants & flowers. If we had a gardening question we called them first. It didn't stop there as gram made sure I knew how to can, freeze, and make pickles & kraut. She also taught me to grind my own wheat & bake everything from cakes to bread.

Gram also taught me how to rock & comfort a babe, sew a patch, make a bear, and run a treadle sewing machine (she never had an electric!) Gram was an authority on antiques & glassware, and Gramp on genealogy. Together they traced their family to 17th century Ireland! They never had the chance to travel to Ireland, but made many trips out west with 8 kids in their pickup truck (with a camper uptop)! I am still amazed at old photos showing them camping near the Grand Canyon, or Yellowstone!

When my boys were born, Gram declared each "brilliant & beautiful". Our boys all carry their grandparent's name, Dalton, as a middle name, as a way to honor Ralph & Beaulah. Sadly only our oldest remembers them well. Ralph died in Beaulah's arms, sweetly & softly. Beaulah sat at the "kids table" at the funeral dinner with her very favorite people. She loved children and they in turn loved her! Beaul joined Ralph soon after. EVERY person at Beaulah's funeral claimed to have eaten a hearty meal, at one time or another, at "Ma Dalton's" house. It wouldn't surprise me one bit, as both my Grandparents were well known for their hospitality, generosity, and selfless love for people. They were true saints.

Thanks Frannie for sparking so many wonderful memories! Hope you'll all forgive me for remembering "outloud".

Blessings,
Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.

Edited by - abbasgurl on Aug 24 2007 10:53:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2007 :  08:29:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh So many people in my life have been memorable and inspirations to me.

I think the people who have been the biggest inspirations to me are my parents. My mom is amazing. She knows so much about everything. She has this fantastic creative, artistic talent. No matter what my sisters or I have needed, they work so hard to fulfill it for us or show us the way to do for ourselves!

My Dad is such a loving and giving soul. He takes such good care of his family. He gives so freely of his time and skills. He is more than willing to learn anything that could possibly help us and he works so hard to provide a good and loving home.

I certainly wouldn't be the person I am today if it weren't for my parents love and care. They really are amazing and I could just go on for days about all they have done for me!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

janetinva123
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Janet
newport news va
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2007 :  2:29:06 PM  Show Profile
My grandmother has to be the most wonderful person. She is still living at age 93. When I was 15, pregnant, and so ashamed she came to see me. She told me I could over come this. She knew from experience that life sometimes was hard, you made mistakes, tradegies happen but you can get over almost anything. She was right and I did.

Jc
http://beloved-creations.blogspot.com
http://beloved-creations.com
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2007 :  7:39:49 PM  Show Profile
Oh Janet...I almost cried when I read about your Gram. What a wonderful example of grace and love she must be to you! Thanks for telling us about her.
Blessings,
Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic getting to know me: MEMORABLE PERSON IN MY LIFE Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page