KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  12:07:20 PM  Show Profile
Alright, so, we're going to the Outerbanks in mid-September, which is a 14 hour drive from my home. I was going to try to get my shopping out of the way here, because we're renting a beach house, and I'm the "chef" for a couple of days. I was going to buy chicken and pork tenderloin, freeze them, and pack them in the cooler with ice and other chill packs to put into the fridge when we get there.

Do any of you think it will thaw out to the point of "dangerous" while we're driving?

We're leaving at 3:00 am, and will arrive probably about 4:00 in the afternoon. The cooler will be the last thing I pack before we walk out the door, and I'll be removing them from the freezer straight into the cooler.

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  12:50:32 PM  Show Profile
Should be just fine Jonni. We used to camp over long weekends and I would put meat in the cooler with ice packs that would stay partially frozen for the entire weekend. One thing I did do though, was to wrap all the frozen meat and ice packs in a couple of heavy towels to help insulate inside the cooler.
I have read that as long as there are still ice crystals inside the meat, it can be put back in the freezer.
Di
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  12:59:34 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Diane. It seemed like it, but when I asked my mom, she made the "hmmm" face, and then I totally doubted myself! We just have a great little meat store around here, and it's reasonable, and once you get there, there is sooo little to choose from, and it's pricey! I thought I'd be ahead of the game this time.

Great tip about the towels. Very good idea!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  1:15:49 PM  Show Profile
We drove from Rhode Island to Florida with turkey for Thanksgiving.I big 24 pounder too. I made sure it was forzen solid and we packed it in ice our trip was 24hours straight through. We keep adding more ice every stop we made. The turkey was still frozen when we got there and my Mom joked how we could have thawed it on the way down. Now one got sick and it was yummy!!

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2007 :  12:05:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It think it should be fine! Just check the level of the ice and such whenever you stop for gas. Also newspaper is a great insulator to wrap the meat in as well. As long as the meat is still chilled you are fine.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Freezing pork for transport... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page