Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Strawberry help? Next Topic  

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  08:34:48 AM  Show Profile
I have lovely plants with nice leaves but no berries, not even any blossoms?

Penny for your thoughts?

Thanks,

Holly

¸...¸ __/ /\____ ____
,·´º o`·,/__/ _/\_ //____/\
```)¨(´´´ | | | | | | | || |l±±±± |
¸,.-·²°´ ¸,.-·~·~·-.,¸ `°²·-. :º°

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!

DeeHarp
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Dee
Missouri
39 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  09:54:13 AM  Show Profile
Holly,
We are from Missouri. Our strawberries bloomed and produced in June.
Dee :-)

Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  09:54:29 AM  Show Profile
Good morning Holly...a couple of things come to mind.
1. How old are your plants? I find mine only produce well for the first couple years, then need replacing.
2. Do you fertilize? Too much nitrogen will cause beautiful lush plants, but nary a flower!
3. Are your strawberries day neutral or spring producing? Spring producing plants may well be past their bloom period.
4. Did you have a cold or late spring? Of everything I grow, I find strawberries to be the most suseptable to weather fluctuations.

Hope this helps.

Diane

Live a good and honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  11:44:14 AM  Show Profile
Umm I bought them this spring, I probably have overfertilized them, they are everbearing and this spring was cooler than usual for here although by no means cold. We live in the Mojave desert --Zone 9/10 if that helps.

¸...¸ __/ /\____ ____
,·´º o`·,/__/ _/\_ //____/\
```)¨(´´´ | | | | | | | || |l±±±± |
¸,.-·²°´ ¸,.-·~·~·-.,¸ `°²·-. :º°

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

Fulminous
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Deb
Maine
40 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  8:49:36 PM  Show Profile
I had some plants I got from Johnny's seeds that claimed I really wouldn't get much in the first year of their life with me, that was supposed to be their year to establish the root system. It said that even if I was to have any blooms it was reccomended to pinch them off. Unfourtionately, I can't tell you how they did the second year, they died during an early frost while I was at work (I was away from home for nine days at a time for work) last fall.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  9:25:52 PM  Show Profile
In the desert frost was probably not the problem! Here on the east coast we grow them on the 3 year plan. Year 1 - primarily roots, year 2 - buds and berries, year3-5 diminishing return so new plants are usually in order. If you stagger the replacement throughout year 3-5 you will have an ongoing harvest. Mites are a huge problem also
so they aren't the easiest thing to grow organically. But when you get it right, they are so worth it! Did your plants go through any transplant shock? That could be a reason for no blossom/bud production. Even irregular watering can be a problem initially. I never fertilize transplants, just a little bone meal when I plant and they seem to do well and establish themselves nicely. Hope that helps even though I am on the edge of Zone5/6.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Strawberry help? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page