Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Milk Goats Next Topic  

Garden_artist
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Tammy
Southern Coast Oregon
182 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  12:57:39 PM  Show Profile
I am considering getting a couple goats so I can start milking.

I've gone back and searched the other posts and I've doen some research at the library and on the internet. I am pretty sure I want Nubian's. Those of you that already have goats for milking can you tell me about your set-up, day to day care, feeding, things to watch for?

A friend of mine has Nubians here in town and I am going to go and volunteer some time with her at her farm so I can see the caring process and milking, but I would love more information.

When I feel spring coming I have to plant or I’ll go crazy!

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  1:58:22 PM  Show Profile
I have two Nubian does that I got a couple of months ago to milk, but they are too young to breed yet so I can't really give you any advice as to the milking chores and stuff. BUT, my experience of caring for them so far has been really easy and I LOVE them. They are extremely friendly (they were bottle-fed from a few weeks old) and entertaining! I have them in a 10X16 pen for now (until the barn is finished!) made out of corral panels, reinforced with hog fencing. We made a small 3-sided shelter for shade and when it rains. They have a small water trough and a hanging bucket on the fence for feed. I started out by feeding them loose alfalfa hay, but they were pretty picky and only ate the leaves and left the stems, making a bunch of waste. So, I switched to alfalfa pellets, which they seem to like and creates much less wasted food. I also give them about a cup of grain (just the prepared 4-way from the feed store) a day. Plus, whatever tree trimmings and grass clippings are avaliable.

As far as milking goes, Aunt Jenny is the one who would have the best advice, I think! She seems to have had a lot of experience with it (as far as I can tell from reading old posts!). Good luck getting your goats! I can't wait to start milking, too!

"There is a Happy Dale far, far away. . ." -Arsenic and Old Lace

Edited by - Brew Crew on Aug 21 2007 2:03:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  3:30:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You will need to build or buy a milk stand, have some stainless steel buckets, and a good enclosure.

Milking is really easy. You encircle the teat with you thumb and forefinger at the top of the teat, closest to the bag. You tighten your forefinger and tighten you other fingers in a rolling motion to sqeeze the milk out. The trick is to keep your forfinger and thumb tight or it just lets the milk gush back into the bag. Don't pull on the teat as the connective tissues in a goat's udder are very sensitive and you will end up stretching out the teats.

You will want to make sure that you are feeding enought to keep up milk production and always have lots of fresh water around.

Good luck!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  4:55:03 PM  Show Profile
A milk stand is key for sure..my husband built mine...pretty simple. The plans were online..if you google goat milking stand all sorts will come up. The book "Raising milk goats the Modern way" is a real good one.
I would say you really only need one good stainless steel pail. I got an 8 qt. one.(enough for the milk and foam from two does usually..but if you strain the milk in the barn you can do it after each doe. You will need a strainer and filter papers. I used a plastic bucket to carry out hot water and washcloths to wash the udder first. Always brush the goat first and squirt the first few squirts from each teat over a paper towel or into a strip cup..when you are done milking be sure to strip out well, and you can use a teat dip or spray... www.caprinesupply.com is a wonderful source.
With any dairy animal it is good to feed hay awhile before feeding grain..so I feed hay early..and always lots of water and a salt and mineral block available too. For goats I used the red block that is about brick size..Mona gets the big monster size block. Here we use the cobalt blue block too. I left both out when I had goats..just don't let sheep get the red one...if you keep sheep and goats together you have to be aware of things that are toxic to sheep that arn't for goats (calf manna is another thing..I always add some calf manna to my milk producing animals..goats and Mona's grain and alfalfa pellet ration that they get while being milkef. Sheep can't have it ..copper is toxic to them..but the goats and cow need it so mine only get it in the milk barn..never outside. They love it!) Goats are very good about jumping up on the stand and being ready if they learn the routine..dosn't take long.
You will also need jars or bottles to cool the milk in after milking. I always strain mine into jars in the barn and then cool quickly...even have sat jars of milk into ice water for cooling..the quicker the better.
Goats will need hoof trimming every month or so..sometimes you can go longer if they wear them off easily..some do, some don't. I give mine their CD&T shots (booster) when I shear my sheep..then I don't forget. For pregnant does you do it just about 4 to 6 weeks before they kid. Then the kids get the benefits too. When you go to look for a goat ask to milk it if it is already lactating..it is a huge help to see how easy a milker she is. Ask to see any grown babies of hers and ask to see the buck she was bred to if she is bred. If she is a young doeling ask to see her mother...really really pay attention to the udder attachment...a loose udder hanging very low is an injury waiting to happen..and much harder to milk..you do have to put the bucket under there!! Goats are so sweet and have such personality!YOu will just love them I know. I am sure I forgot something you wanted to know..just ask.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Aug 21 2007 4:57:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Garden_artist
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Tammy
Southern Coast Oregon
182 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2007 :  10:25:59 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Aunt Jenny for all the great information. I also did the google look up under goat milking stand, and a huge amount of info came my way. The www.caprinesupply.com website has a lot of info and supplies. I think before I leap I would like to read the book Raising Milk Goats the modern way to make sure this is something I want to start. I really love the idea of having them, caring for them, and having the fresh milk each day. I also thought if a Milk Cow is in my future, this is the way to decided if I should proceed.

Tammy

When I feel spring coming I have to plant or I’ll go crazy!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2007 :  11:25:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Tammy-

I think you will really love the goats. They are sweet and mischevious, intelligent and kind. Goats milk does taste a little different than cow's milk, but I have found that you get used to it very quickly and the cleaner you keep the goats the less "goaty" the milk tastes.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2007 :  11:32:48 AM  Show Profile
Yep...clean is SO important with any milk..but with goat's milk it makes all the difference!
I think goats are a perfect first dairy animal..I had goats for years and years before I was lucky enough to finally get my dream cow..and I am betting when the kids are grown and Mona is gone to that great pasture in the sky (I won't think about that today..sniff) I will get a goat again. My Saanen, Clara was so sweet..the best ever..I have just loved my goats.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Milk Goats Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page