Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Brazen Bear Next Topic  

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  07:02:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
We have quite a black bear population in Pennsylvania and they are fairly large sized bear. Over the past few months I have lost a few birdfeeders.....amazingly, the iron shepherd's crook poles that they were hung from were bent 90 degrees right down to the ground...and we later found the birdfeeders in the woods torn to shreds. Neighbors have found bear scat, also. So, when we are not around the farm, we take down the feeders....and this tactic has worked. Also, my DH has taken to peeing around outside so that the smell of urine will discourage the bears. Well......Saturday night between 8:30 and 9:30 (I had gone to check on our ducks at those times) a bear came right up to the house, while the dogs were right inside of the door, all the lights were on, lots of noise.....and wouldn't you know he pulled the pole over, and ran off with the bird feeder....after also destroying the other feeder and bending that pole, also.
Seems to me that is just a little too bold for my liking! Sure hope none of my dogs comes upon this guy by surprise!

Keep Smiling.....Bev
Check out my shoppe at www.honeybeez.etsy.com
www.beehavenacres.blogspot.com , www.beehavenmaven.blogspot.com

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  07:09:54 AM  Show Profile
Oh!! Scary Bev!!
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  08:46:43 AM  Show Profile
Lol. Too bad the bear didn't respect the boundary your husband set. Good idea. I've tried that myself, but I usually end up falling over and laughing. Not much of a deterrant, but maybe the crashing and laughing was good. Have you seen the movie Never Cry Wolf? About a naturalist who goes to Alaska to study wolves. 1983ish. Anyway, hope the bear leaves you alone. They scare me. I try to stay out of the woods when it gets late in the summer and they seem to go into a feeding frenzy.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  08:58:18 AM  Show Profile
Gosh, Bev. That is scary. I would never go out at night.

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  11:28:40 AM  Show Profile
I have to say, I am not pleased by the resurgence of the bear population in PA and NY these past few years. I am going camping this weekend, and I don't feel safe in the park anymore (much as I love it). I used to look forward to this annual trip for the opportunity to go out in the woods alone, and walk on the dirt roads after dark to look at the stars, without the street crime that deters me at home. But now there are bears swarming everywhere looking for scraps of food, and that's just not fun.
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  11:43:20 AM  Show Profile
Yikes!!!

If that were me.. They'd be finding Some Kathie Scat!!! Scare more then the life outta me!

Be gone silly old bear!! Back to the deeper woods buddy boy!!

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  12:01:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Bears certainly can be intimidating! They are huge, powerful creatures. And if you live near a bear population, you had better respect them, because not repecting them can get you hurt.

But on the other hand they are facinating creatures as well. I just prefer my facination at a bit of a distance!

I hope the bear moves on soon!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Brazen Bear Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page