junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  2:49:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi! I'm trying to start a Etsy store together with my daughter in laws, and I have just about everything ready to go, just got to enter the credit card info. but I'm wondering do we have to claim the money we make there as income? And how do I set up our page and banner? I know someone here has to know since there are so many etsy stores from here? Thank you!!

Visit me at my blogs:
www.countrypleasures.blogspot.com
www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com
www.photo-per-day.blogspot.com

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  5:25:08 PM  Show Profile
I have a paypal account. You will eaither need paypal or google checkout unless you have an online business that allows you to take credit cards. All my money gets deposited into my paypal account and then I can have them direct deposit it into my bank account. This is really the way to go becuase they have great protection services. When you set up your etsy account they will walk you through the process to link your paypal account. If you don;t already have one got to www.paypal.com

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  04:33:43 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Julie!! I have a paypal account all set up, I'm just wondering about tax season, do I claim all profits as income? And I want to make my own banner for the site too, any ideas on how, yours looks very nice Julie, good job!

Visit me at my blogs:
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  09:57:39 AM  Show Profile
I did my banner myself. I would offer to do yyours but my computer crashed about a week a go so I am stuck just using my school omputer right now. Etsy's policy on taxes is this - You should report all of your income to the IRS. Most likely many people do not. I only made about
$100 from etsy last year and did not reprt it. Ask you accountant. Many states have different laws covering this. Also etsy wil not supply you with a sales reports. You will need to keep up with this on your own. My other thought is this - you are doing business with other people. It will get very difficult to keep track of who sells what especially if you work together or buy joint supplies. Again talk with your acountant. If you anticipate a lot of income it may be easier to set up as a small business.

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  11:39:54 AM  Show Profile
Hey Sue,
Unfortunatly, according to Federal Law, any income earned must be declared....yep, even if you are a 14year old girl babysitting, you are suppose to pay taxes( I never did!).....can you believe it....that being said, Uncle Sam is not going to chase after every teenage girl to enforce that law. How ever, you should check with an accountant or stop in at your local IRS office to ask how to handle that.
In the past most "new" home business Like a "daycare" etc, could show a loss/break even for 3 years but then after that had to show a profit. But you also have a lot of write offs. It gets a bit sticky, most likely what little you earn from your etsy/ebay sales will not be a problem for you, but if it does become a "business" then you will need to check into the taxing.
For small amounts eared, you will have to file, but most likely not owe taxes, I forget what the minimum is.
Don't let that discourage you from crafting & selling. I also sell "stuff" on ebay, but I keep a running file of what I sold, to whom, how much & all fees incurred from ebay & paypal. And whether the item was a personal item(like a garage sale) or if the item was for profit(bought-made & sold for profit).
Check out your local library too to see if they have any books on the taxing subject. The librarian should be able to guide you to them.
Have fun with your etsy shop and don't let the taxing rattle you.

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
www.katmom4.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  12:48:56 PM  Show Profile
Thanks girls, this helps so much and brings up another question, can the supplies be tax deductions? Julie, was hard to figure out how to make a banner for your site? Thanks so much again!!

Visit me at my blogs:
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  1:16:25 PM  Show Profile
Supplies are considered deductions or losses. The item you sell will have a profit margin (what you made over what it cost to make).

http://etsywiki.com is a great and helpful site.

Here is the direct link to the info on banners: http://etsywiki.com/index.php?title=Banners

I did not have any trouble but I have quite a bit of computer knowledge. If you have questions just post and I will try to help you out.

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  3:57:21 PM  Show Profile
Sue -- it would probably be best to get a business license. Then when you buy supplies you can purchase them for resale and not have to pay tax. This will also help at tax time.

http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

Visit my Etsy Shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

aimeeravae
True Blue Farmgirl

341 Posts

Aimee
Deer River MN
USA
341 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  9:39:28 PM  Show Profile
Another great thing I learned, just about everything is deductable. The gas it took to drive to the store to get the supplies, if you and the daughters go to lunch and discuss the business the lunch is deductable. There are all kinds of things that are. Check about use tax. In SD, if you buy something directly for resale, its deductable. If you buy say a glue gun for the making of something for resale and don't pay the tax in store, they require you to pay use tax. Call the dept of revenue in your state and ask is they are having a small business tax workshop in your area. I warn you this seminar will bore you to the teeth. You may want to jab a pencil in you eye by the end of it. But, in the first two hours, I found out what I needed and could write off the hour drive, go shopping, and not have to answer the cell phone cuz I was at the "seminar".
It was all around an enjoyable afternoon. They had NINE fleamarket/antique stores there! I was in hog heaven!!!

Aimee
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  05:43:53 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all so much for the help and advise, you've all steered me in the right direction and we are looking forward to joining the etsy family very soon! Julie, I will try to make the banner on my own, and will hollor at you if I get lost, hopefully not, but thanks so much for help, your so kind! Welcome Aimee and thanks for your input! Kay, I'm off to check out your store!

Visit me at my blogs:
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Etsy question and help? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page