levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9419 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9419 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  07:18:54 AM  Show Profile
Just wanted to share a little. Makes me feel better anyway.
I had posted about our Boston Terrier, Ruby having kidney disease. We took her into the vet on Wednesday so he could tell us how she was doing. We felt she was still losing weight and wanted to know what he thought. She was eating pretty well on and off for a few days. The vet wanted to keep her and do a toxin flush to see if we could get her to where she could eat and maybe gain some weight. I went in on Friday to see her and she had just had a bath because they said she had had really bad diarrhea(sorry couldn't think of a nicer way to say that) anyway she was not really responding to me being there. She wouldn't look at me and I noticed some changes in her eyes. He said to let him keep her another day and then to call after 9 on Sat. morning. When I called he told me that he took her home with him Friday night because he didn't think she was doing to well and that he didn't want to her at the clinic. He then told me that he was glad he did because she passed away in the night. I think he knew she was coming to this and because he is a compassionate man he didn't want to tell us how close she was to going but he did want me to see her so told me to come visit on Friday. I am glad I did but I am surprised at my level of grief over this. We did pick her up on Saturday to bury her here at home. I did ask if she went on her own and he told me she did. I am relieved because she is no longer suffering but I am sure having a hard time of it. Is this normal? This is my first experience in losing a pet.
Thanks for listening. So sorry my post is so long. But I think this is like therapy to share it with you all.
Denise

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  07:28:12 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Denise...I'm so sorry you lost your little companion in life. Of course you should be grieving. It is normal. Love for a pet comes from the same well of love for a human...just various shades of love, so you are normal, it hurts, you cry..........

Hugs to you and to your family,
G

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
http://auntgeorge.etsy.com

"Made With Love"
Go to Top of Page

vintagegrl
True Blue Farmgirl

280 Posts

Jeanette
NH
USA
280 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  07:34:03 AM  Show Profile
Denise, I am so sorry to hear about Ruby. It sounds like she went peacefully. As to your question about your grief and whether it's normal, I say absolutely yes. I found that with my cats they quietly and with no fanfare found a way to settle themselves in my heart, and when they passed was when I realized how true was the saying "broken heart". Not even the betrayal of a former husband affected me like when my companions died. The unconditional love that our animals give us is a gift that we may take for granted. When our pets die, I believe that it teaches us to value the true relationships we may have with our parents, children, friends and to give thanks for these relationships each and every day.

Again, I am so sorry about Ruby, may memories of your time together comfort you during this time.

J
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  09:07:40 AM  Show Profile
Denise I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Your grief is absolutely normal. We lost our belosved Bo three years ago to cancer and we both still get teary thinking of him. We didn't want him in the clinic so we learned to run IVs and give injections just to keep him at home with us. Not having a place to bury him we had him cremated along with his favorite blanket and favorite stuffed toy. His ashes are in a beautiful urn that sits on our dresser. We swore no more dogs, couldn't handle the pain again, one week later we brought home two brothers, the house was just to quiet.
Hugs Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  09:17:38 AM  Show Profile
Denise, I am so sorry for your loss. Yes, this is very normal. You loved Ruby and she was part of your family. It takes time to get over a loss.
Cheryl

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9419 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9419 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  10:55:06 AM  Show Profile
Girls,
Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words.
It is very comforting to know that others understand. I know over time it will get easier. We do have a younger Boston and they did tell us that she would grieve too.
They told us that if we see a change in her behavior (ie; mopeyness) not to be worried because it would be her time of feeling the loss.
The thing that amazes me the most is feeling that if we had done something differently, the vet assured me there was nothing we could have done except what we did do, but there is that nagging thought. I am so appreciative of a place like this forum to share these things because people who don't have pets or animals don't understand how anyone could feel this way about a dog. You ladies are a balm.
Thank you,
Denise

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  1:05:41 PM  Show Profile
Denise,
I'm so sorry to hear about your pet. They do become a big part of our lives and hearts. A big hug to you during this time.
~Tina

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  3:20:43 PM  Show Profile
Ahhh Denise, I am sorry you lost Ruby. It is hard cause we always wonder if we could have done better. What is great is that you have a loving caring vet, how sweet he is. So sorry for your loss.....
Carol Sue

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

cabinmoose
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Lorna
Forest Hill MD
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  3:54:16 PM  Show Profile  Send cabinmoose an AOL message  Send cabinmoose a Yahoo! Message
Denise,

I am so sorry for your loss. Greiving the loss of Ruby is very normal. I still greive my Obbie and we lost him 9 years ago this Thanksgiving. Pets hold a special place in our hearts and they are like children. I will keep you in our prayers.

Warm blessings,

Lorna
Forest Hill, MD

“I laugh, I love, I hope, I try, I hurt, I need, I fear, I cry.
And I know you do the same things too, So we're really
not that different, me and you.” ~Colin Raye
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  4:35:12 PM  Show Profile
Denise I sure understand that "if we had done something differently" feeling. We second guess ourselves still over Bo and that was 3 years ago. Now the minute Luke or Clay even look at me funny I am calling the Vet. These feelings are all normal and yes your other fur baby will grieve as well.
Lots of hugs, Kathy
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9419 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9419 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  5:48:21 PM  Show Profile
I was just telling my husband how much it has helped today to share this with all of you and how much I have appreciated all your posts. It really has helped me and I feel so blessed by your friendships.
I know that it is what this group is all about. Not just the swaps and fun things but having others who help through the rough things.
thanks,
Denise

Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  6:06:26 PM  Show Profile
I am so sorry to hear you lost your little Ruby. We just recently lost
our chocolate and tan dachshund Barney. He had lymphoma and I can certainly sympathize with wondering if you did all the right things.It sounds to me like you did everything perfectly and so did your vet. It is so normal to grieve over your pets. They are so much a part of your life, they are family. I know I will grieve for Barney for a long time to come. He was only 6. Talking about how you feel with help you a lot. She will always hold a special place in your heart and you will always love her.Hugs to you, Mary Jane

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9419 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9419 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  6:13:42 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for sharing Mary Jane. I'm sorry for your loss too. I know it will take time and that we will always remember her sweet disposition and funny antics with love.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  8:52:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Denise! I am so sorry to hear about your loss!

We went through this with our dog, Cricket, when she was getting older. We love our companions so much and who couldn't love them with as much love as they give us? It is completely natural to grieve for your friend and miss her. You did a great job of taking care of her. You were trying to do everything you could to help her get better- Your vet is right. You did everything that was in your power to do.

This is so hard, to lose a beloved pet. But I am so glad Ruby had such a long and happy life with you. I know she must have loved you very much and I know you gave her a great home. Believe me, that is no small thing! *hugs*

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  05:25:55 AM  Show Profile
Denise,
So sad to lose a pet, I'm so sorry. After my last pet died, I never got another, didn't want to go through that again. But hope others don't feel that way or who will take care of them all.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  06:06:18 AM  Show Profile
I am so sorry for the loss of your little doggy. Four years ago, we lost our Cottonball after 18 1/2 years. We even had him in diapers for the last two years of his life. He looked like a little samurai with his Huggies on, but it saved our floors and let us keep him longer. We wept and he is buried in our yard, and we never got another pet and won't either.

I really grieved over him, as hubby and I had lost both our mothers that same year, and it seemed like I cried for all of them at once. All that I had kept inside my heart came out when our little dog passed away. So don't worry about the greiving - it is normal, and let yourself feel it.

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  07:59:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I am so very sorry, Denise. Your vet is a wonderful, caring human being. And don't doubt yourself. You did everything you could. I'm watching my 18 year old cat fade away now. Every day I ask my dh if there isn't something else we can do. But sometimes, things are out of our control, no matter how much we wish we could fix everything(we're the moms, and that's our job, right?). I'm sending you a heartfelt hug.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  08:21:42 AM  Show Profile
Hi Denise,

As another farmgirl who has experienced the loss of a beloved pet, I feel your pain. My opinion is that a wonderful testament to your dog that you are grieving now, and yes, it is perfectly normal. NOT to grieve would be abnormal, wouldn't it?

Only time will stop the tears, although it's been seven years since our golden retriever passed away, and I am tearing up now just thinking about him again, and knowing how fresh your loss is right now.
You will smile at memories again, and in the meantime, just know that you did everything you could, and thank your Vet for making sure that she was not alone when the time came.

We planted a little dogwood tree where we buried our Custer, you might want to place a marker or plant something in your yard as a remembrance, too.

Hugs to you,

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  10:04:00 AM  Show Profile
Denise, I'm so sorry for your loss. It can be terribly painful when you aren't understood as you grieve for your pet. I remember as a small child being told to stop crying, as it was "only a dog". Your vet sounds wonderful--we've never known one to take an animal home to care for like yours did. We've had a steady stream of pets over the years, and never did we lose one and not cry... or in some cases, wail. Our little dog is turning fifteen in September, nearly deaf and sometimes seems to have dementia, but to see that little tail wag makes my day.

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9419 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9419 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  1:15:58 PM  Show Profile
I am grateful to you for sharing your experiences with me.
We just buried Ruby about 5 minutes ago. We found a stone marker to use and so maybe the process will be easier now. We put her in a spot that she always liked to go to and there is a big azeala bush near there. My son was fine while he was digging the spot but when we decided to mark the spot and found the stone to put her name on he was showing his grief. I am glad because he hasn't really had a chance and I think it really hits different family members at different times. We were all very fond of her. Even though it's hard now I wouldn't trade having had her as part of our lives. I hope the rest of the family will love the one we still have as much. This one is definitely my dog and no one lets me forget it! They are not especially fond of her and she is a little goofy at times but I'll feel just as bad when it's her time. We were saying how glad we were that she did not suffer long and that we did not have to make the decision to put her to sleep.

Denise

Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  3:40:15 PM  Show Profile
Sending prayers your way to heal your heart after losing Ruby. I'm so sorry. Susan
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9419 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9419 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2007 :  2:07:17 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Susan.
I still get teary eyed talking about her. I still feel bad she had to get sick.
But I wouldn't have wanted her to suffer anymore. I decided to make one of those little memory boards with pictures we have taken of her. She was such an obedient and fun dog. She loved to play hide and seek with us. Anyway I think we will all enjoy the pictures and the memories we had when she was here and part of our family.

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Update on our girl Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page