Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 I want to start a collection of...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic I want to start a collection of... Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2007 :  7:05:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I want to start a collection of really old beautiful tea cups. My Great-Great Aunt Nora gave me one that I just adore. My mom keeps it for me so it won't get broken with all the moving around that we do. When I go home for my wedding I will try to remember to take a picture of it and post it.

Anyway- I would love to find more tea cups like that, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the "West" is not the best place to be looking since a lot of the finer things in life had to be left behind during the wagon train times, but I am hoping to maybe have a streak of luck and find some in a garage sale from railroad times. :)

So what types of collections do you want to start or are already working on?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2007 :  7:15:44 PM  Show Profile
I have some tea pots and cups that I started when I was in high school. I have them displayed on shelves in my daughters room. I'm sure some day she will add to the collection and then take it with her when she is ready. Or at least I hope that will happen.
It seems lately I haven't collected anything but a few extra pounds and some dust around the house. :)
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2007 :  7:59:46 PM  Show Profile
Alee .. when i lived in maryland .. and presented 'tea parties' .. i had probably close to a hundred 'grown-up size tea cups and saucers .. most purchased for a dollar to about five dollars each .. at yard sales, flea markets, antiques stores ... if you start looking .. you will probably find them. many are available because they were once part of a 'china set'. i have about that many children's tea cups/sets too! i have given away or sold most of the adult ones .. i probably have a ka-zillion of them in boxes out in the schoolhouse .. someday .. i will tackle that room! i think you will be surprized how easy they are to find once you start looking. (i collected 'many' of them in colorado!) xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  2:57:08 PM  Show Profile
Alee, Brenda (Past Blessings) has tea cups...I got a tea cup and saucer and dinner plate at her July sale (or was it June?) - anyhow, they are around! I just learned that English porcelain only dates from the late 1800s, as the secret to making it only came out of China at that time...prior, it was the "stoneware" that we see so much of and that I love too. Anyhow, good luck on your searching...it's fun! Judy
P.S. I only mention that about the English porcelain, since I don't know what you consider "really old." I love Homer Laughlin, which is an American company and dates from mostly the early half of the 20th century.

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!

Edited by - JudyBlueEyes on Aug 19 2007 2:59:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  3:16:21 PM  Show Profile
I already collect milk glass and Churchill Blue Willow. I want to start collections of pewter (modern lead-free so I can actually use it though) and quilts in red hues. And red and cream enamelware.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com

New Rt 66 blog: http://historyinthemaking.wordpress.com

Edited by - kitchensqueen on Aug 19 2007 3:17:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  4:15:56 PM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by JudyBlueEyes

Alee, Brenda (Past Blessings) has tea cups...I got a tea cup and saucer and dinner plate at her July sale (or was it June?) - anyhow, they are around! I just learned that English porcelain only dates from the late 1800s, as the secret to making it only came out of China at that time...[quote]

I think you mean late 18th Century. (The would be the late 1700s.) I remember absorbing that from the wonderful book, The Arcanum, which I confess to having "read" as an audio tape done by David McCallum. Oh my, what a crush I had on him when I was a sweet young thing (and he was, too). *sigh*
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  4:19:00 PM  Show Profile
My collector's passion is fountain pens. I have a few modern ones that I love, but my focus is vintage American brands, especially Parker. I want to own more of the Parker Duofold Vacumatics from the 1930s -- maybe a "Big Red" someday. I'm learning to do my own restoration work. If anyone has old fountain pens wasting away in a desk drawer somewhere, take a picture of it. I might be able to tell you something about its history and value.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  4:24:14 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by JudyBlueEyes

I love Homer Laughlin, which is an American company and dates from mostly the early half of the 20th century.

I have a terrific Homer Laughlin piece, a large serving bowl with their pretty pink roses pattern down in the center, and a stylized border of bright green "leaves" all around the edge. Got it on eBay for about $10, but I don't have any piece of fancy china that I like more! If I had my way, I'd design a whole new kitchen around it.

Do you include the HL Fiestaware among your loves? We have a bunch of the modern variation in all different colors to mix and match. It's such happy stuff. That fabulous Deco design is really timeless, isn't it?
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  4:35:32 PM  Show Profile
I love fabric....the more vintage the better. I also love old tea cups and saucers and I have a really collection of salt and pepper shakers that were my grandmothers She split the collection four ways. I have the original lemon set that she and grandpa had when they were newly weds and that was from the late 1920's.

Oh, David McCallum was my one true love when I was a wee lassie too Rosemary. He was Ilia Curiakin on The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

Here Rosemary, this one is for you:

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/mptv/1372/9948_0025.jpg.html?path=pgallery&path_key=McCallum%2C%20David%20(I)&seq=8

Hope that link works.
G

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
http://auntgeorge.etsy.com

"Made With Love"
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  6:00:57 PM  Show Profile
Sugar (that's you, Georgann), I remember every second of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. It was a don't-miss-it event in my college dorm every week. If I missed an episode, I made a point of catching it in summer re-runs. Boy, if there were a real worldwide organization like the United Command for Law and Enforcement before 9/11, Osama bin Laden would have been toast by the middle of Bill Clinton's first term! ;-) Years later, when the videos of the show came out, I had all of them, and got to enjoy the very pretty Illya Kuryakin all over again. Charming actor. Did you know he also did a sweet recording of The Wind in the Willows? His reading of the "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" chapter is prayerlike, which is so appropriate. They just don't grow 'em like McCallum anymore. It's delightful that he's still working just as steadily and creatively as ever.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  6:14:55 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Rosemary, I didn't know that! I will look for his reading of that book. I LOVED him, and thanks for the correct spelling of Illya......oh, my I loved him!!! He was smart, handsome, dashing and blonde like me!!

We never missed it ever!! My sister loved Napoleon Solo, but to me, he just didn't compare to Illya!!!

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
http://auntgeorge.etsy.com

"Made With Love"
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9364 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9364 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  6:20:42 PM  Show Profile
What is Churchill Blue Willow? I have heard of blue willow but have never heard it called that.
I have some soup bowls that my grandmother had that have pictures from Currier and Ives on them. I have a lot of my grandmother's dishes. I collect teapots and teacups. Precious Moments figurines and baskets. Oh and fabric. I especially love the vintage fabrics.

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  07:06:19 AM  Show Profile
We collect (my dh and I together) vintage dog paintings, photos and adverts. We have a pretty nice collection going, but the framing is pricey!!

By myself, I collect vintage kitchen items. Nothing of value, really, but things that remind me of my great grandmother and aunties.

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  07:18:18 AM  Show Profile
Hey Alee!! I collect vintage teacupps! And believe it or not they've all come from thrift stores!! It's taken years,but I always pop in my local thrift store and go right to where the aprons and dishes are- and I have found some treasures!!! It's so much more fun than paying a bundle for something!! Hugs and happy hunting!
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  08:21:02 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Aunt George

Oh, Rosemary, I didn't know that! I will look for his reading of that book.

It was an LP, and to my knowledge was never released on CD. My husband did a transfer to audio tape for me. Unfortunately, I no longer have the LP, but maybe he could make that happen. If so, and if you have no luck digging up your own copy, let me know and I'll see.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  09:59:51 AM  Show Profile
I collect old quilts, antique real photo post cards, vintage aprons, salt glazed and hand-thrown pottery, old baskets, and vintage turquoise/silver jewelry. I also love old mixing bowls, vintage ice cream scoops, and old rockers. Hm....too many collections! So little time :)

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  10:15:06 AM  Show Profile
Ooh, Jeannie! I have a great vintage ice cream scoop. I think it's from around 1895 or so. It's built like a Sherman tank! I've used it without fear continually ever since my mother allowed me to steal it from her some 25 years ago, while friends of mine complain about how the ones they buy at fancy gourmet shops break after only a few uses. (I guess that's how they stay so thin!)
Go to Top of Page

tribalcime
True Blue Farmgirl

2963 Posts

lisa
lexington ky
USA
2963 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  1:05:38 PM  Show Profile
hi :) I collect witches of all kinds and shapes and ages. My daughter got me the ugliest ones i had ever seen --was an older one that was a spoon holder. I also collect "filk " music and bellydance music .

LIfe is a witch ~~~ and then ya fly !! http://people.tribe.net/0ab53fca-f8de-4477-ab56-85ff9484b93d
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  1:26:27 PM  Show Profile
I'd like to start a collection of money. Current, vintage, old, new, it's all good.

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

check out my etsy site http://ThePlayfulFarmgirl.etsy.com

Take me home, country roads
Go to Top of Page

aimeeravae
True Blue Farmgirl

341 Posts

Aimee
Deer River MN
USA
341 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  4:41:50 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE fabric, patterns, trims, anything crafty and anything for the kitchen. I have vintage recipe boxes (ohio art or J. Chen) I just moved my vintage cookbooks to my booth at the flea market. I just didn't have the room. I had close to five hundred. I have a few cake plates. I love garden art, fairies (the mature variety), purses...I am a pack rat.

Aimee

http://laplantewardklopf.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

wallflower
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Holly
East Walpole MA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  7:40:29 PM  Show Profile
I have a small collection of flags. I have two at the moment that have 48 stars. I have a 50 star flag that Mom gave me for a birthday gift-near 20 years ago now, I guess! I have a couple of throws that are flag designs and numerous small flags collected from attending Memorial Day parades with the kids!

Holly

visit my blog at handittoholly@blogspot.com

Edited by - wallflower on Aug 24 2007 7:44:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  8:06:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
I collect porcelain dolls. I have around one hundred of them. I started when I was 7 or 8 and my mother went in a place called The Bargain Center and bought me 3 dolls. I've been collecting ever since. I have The 3 Stooges, Marilyn Monroe, Betty Boop, etc... Many are boxed up with the hope that one day I can get my basement finished and finally have them all on display!

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic I want to start a collection of... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page