SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  8:01:16 PM  Show Profile
We have something weird going on with our cucumbers this year; since this is not the garden forum, suffice it to say that our cucumbers have been for the past few weeks, coming in yellow (like overripe). The skin is really tough, but the middles are yummy like regular cucumbers. I'm looking for some recipes/ideas of what to do with the peeled and seeded cucumbers. Thanks!

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  8:08:04 PM  Show Profile
Just had a cucumber sandwich my aunt made and it was really good. I don't know the measurements but I think I remember everything that was in it...mayo, a dry italian mix (like the dry ranch stuff you can buy to make your own dip, ranch would probably work too) and I think a little sour cream. Just mix it all together with chopped cucumber, if you won't be serving it right away don't mix in the cucumber because it will become very watery. Then you spread it on a more thin cut bread...a rye or pita bread would work great. Enjoy your cucumbers!

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  8:48:22 PM  Show Profile
Do you know what kind of cukes they are? How big are they when you bring them in?

Peel, seed, and slice 3 or 4 cukes, and one large onion. One cup ACV, one cup sugar, 2 cups water.(optional - a tsp of italian seasoning) PLace all ingredients in same bowl and chill for a few hours. Of course, you can adjust this recipe depending on how much you like vinegar, or how sweet you want it. Thats just the way I make it!! Keeps for days! Cucumber salad! YUMM...excellent on these hot days too!
Good luck
Cristine

I have a refridgerator bread and butter recipe too if you want it.

Edited by - MsCwick on Aug 16 2007 8:50:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

aimeeravae
True Blue Farmgirl

341 Posts

Aimee
Deer River MN
USA
341 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  9:22:44 PM  Show Profile
A friend of mine has been talking about "stained glass pickles"? I think this is a "luthern ladies" recipe. I have not been able to find an exact method, but, he says they are red or green (with food coloring) and are kind of "sweet and sour". You have to seed and peel these. The reason for these colors is, you let them sit until christmas. Sadly, I haven't found the right group of ladies for the recipe.
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  05:29:55 AM  Show Profile
Aimee, let me know if you get that recipe! Cristine, what is ACV? And, can you do bread/butter pickles with peeled cukes? My kids love those.
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  08:50:17 AM  Show Profile
apple cider vinegar. I don't see why not. Maybe just add a little alum for firmness.
How big are they when you bring them in?
Cristine
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2007 :  10:20:28 AM  Show Profile
You might try the mock spiced apple rings or pineapple rings. They require peeled, cored cucumber slices.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic cucumber flesh recipes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page