Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Dealing with anxiety naturally
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Dealing with anxiety naturally Next Topic  

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  06:21:06 AM  Show Profile
I have a situation and I need some help! I suffer from Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) and therefore, I worry all the time and about everything! I've tried to treat it with anti-depressants (Prozac, Wellbutrin, Paxil just to name a few) but I am either allergic to them or don't like the way they make me react. I don't like the idea of putting mind-altering drugs into my body. I've been trying to deal with the anxiety but am not having much luck. Does anyone know if there are herbs I can take or foods I can eat that help relax those crazy chemicals in my body? I've heard that St. John's Wort works but I don't know. I just know that stress like I am currently under has sparked my anxiety and I need some relief. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated as I am driving myself, my fiance, and my family nuts!

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  06:45:22 AM  Show Profile
First, Rachel, I want to send you a warm, long lasting hug. One you have to hold still and take a deep breath for.

I have had some times in my life when I was very anxious but I won't pretend to know or understand your situation. We are all different. Is it possible that there is one big issue in your life you are trying to ignore? Maybe worrying about "everything, all the time" is a way to avoid facing that "big elephant" in the room.

Again, I don' know your situation and sometimes, numerous things can go wrong at once. EX: When I was 29 I lost my grandfather and a dear friend to diabetes, a grandmother to Alzheimer's, I got viral Pneumonia, I was trying to leave an abusive marriage but my spouse ended up having serious back surgery so I was emptying bedpans for four months, Then when he went back to work, a meth addict drove his car into the natural gas meter on our home and blew it up leaving us homeless and killing our dog. This all happened in one year! I'm NOT looking for sympathy here, just wanting to recognize that sometimes so many things happen to us at once that we can't help but worry about everything.

I'm afraid I don't have any easy answers for you. It sounds like you have gotten professional help. Sometimes I think they are a little too quick to prescribe RX's. I'd look for that "elephant" first. If he's there, look him straight in the eye and find a way to send him packing.

While you are working on things, I think it is important to schedule time to do something good for yourself: perhaps join a yoga class, spend time at your place of worship, take a watercolor class, go to a park (a safe one) and sketch or read.

Keeping a journal has helped me immensely. Just get a sketchbook, something without lines and treat yourself to a handful of colored pencils or pens. Write down every worry you have and try to explore it. Doodle! There are great books on journalling available. The main thing is to start. Don't stare at the page. If you have to start by writing the mundane things you did that way then do it. You will find yourself pouring your heart out onto the page. Don't worry if the things you write seem too childish. We are all still children on the inside. Writing it down helps you be an adult on the outside.

Another silly thing I did was to purchase the entire Dr, Suess Collection and read some of it every night. I slept like a baby.

I also find that TAZO "Calm" tea (camomile) is a miracle worker. I still have a cup before bed and I sleep very soundly.

Take care! Lucinda

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  06:58:22 AM  Show Profile
Rachael, I agree with Lucinda... look for the elephant in the room. Everything we experience now is based on our experiences as a child. Do some introspection and find out what is triggering what in your life.... then make a conscious decision to release it. This is not easy, but with repeatedly applying this principal of releasing, it will help. Herbal treatments may be helpful in this endeavor too. And I also agree that Chamomile tea is very relaxing. I also enjoy peppermint tea too...settles those butterflies in my tummy when they start flying out of formation!

A couple other things that are helpful are meditation and rythmic breathing. This breathing technique is typically used to stop circular thinking so you can sleep, but can be used anytime to calm yourself... because it will stop circular thinking because you have to concentrate on your breath in order for it to work. You simply breathe in for a count of 4, hold for a count of 4, exhale for a count of 6. Repeat and repeat...keep going until you are either asleep or more relaxed. These are examples.. you breathe in and hold for the same count, and exhale for a longer count. Whatever fits for you. This is an amazingly simple and effective technique.

If you're open to another spiritual alternative, email me privately and I can refer you to some sources that may be helpful to you.

P.S. Wow! Lucinda, you are a testament to survival!!!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

Edited by - Clare on Jul 25 2005 07:05:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  07:12:12 AM  Show Profile
Well, the elephant would definitely be my job. I'm happy as could be in my home life. I'm getting married this year and we're talking about our future children and trying to move to the country so that our children are raised in a better environment than in the city. But work is where I never know if I'm going to get yelled at (i'm human resources/receptionist/administrative assistant/party planner/dumping ground) and most likely, being constantly berated by my boss is why I'm feeling this way. I'm looking at a job change. It's just that i've only been here going on 8 months and I'd feel like a quitter if I left. But no one (at least no one making my pay rate) should have to deal with verbal attacks/insults/etc. And the worry for the job makes me then worry about everything else (will my parents make it home from work safely? Will my brother drive carefully? Will my fiance love me when i'm nuts like this?.... you get the picture.) I do appreciate your advice!!!
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  08:36:14 AM  Show Profile
Rachel, be open to receiving a new job. Put the word out, start looking, etc. No one should work in that kind of environment.

Then, and this might be a stretch, but KNOW, ASSUME, ACCEPT it as a given, that all of your family, and you too, are surrounded by light and love and protection of your Creator. You draw your good to you.

Be well!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  08:50:36 AM  Show Profile
Hi Rachel,

I once had a job that I loved and was really good at but my boss was really mean and unpredictable. No wonder you are feeling nuts.

I agree with Clare, get yourself out of that abusive situation.

In the meantime, I highly recommend the book, "The Bully at Work" by Gary Namie. You can probably get it at the library. I can't say enough about Mr. Namie's strategies and the first chapter will make it clear to you that you are not alone and you are not crazy.

The Best of Everything to You!
Lucinda

P. S. You should not have to drug yourself in order to tolerate your job.

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Edited by - thehouseminder on Jul 25 2005 08:58:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  09:25:39 AM  Show Profile
Another fantastic book is "Hope and Help for Your Nerves" by Dr. Claire Weeks. She is a retired psychiatrist, looks like everyone's favorite grandma, and explains anxiety disorder in simple and realistic terms.
Not everyone's anxiety is environment related...there are those with chemical imbalances and instances where anxiety disorder runs in families. Unfortunately it runs in ours and nobody ever gave it a name when I struggled with it. I figured I was losing it and to say it scared me was a huge understatement. I got so tired of people asking me what was wrong in my life or what happened in my past.
Anyway, I have moved past the worst of this disorder, largely in part to Dr. Weeks' book. I also learned not to "fear the fear" and dwell on "what if's", the viscious cycle we can so easily fall into.
My heart goes out to anyone suffering from this disorder.
Diane

Live a good and honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.
Go to Top of Page

showmemom
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

karen
carthage mo
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  09:59:23 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by RachelLeigh

Well, the elephant would definitely be my job. I'm happy as could be in my home life. I'm getting married this year and we're talking about our future children and trying to move to the country so that our children are raised in a better environment than in the city. But work is where I never know if I'm going to get yelled at (i'm human resources/receptionist/administrative assistant/party planner/dumping ground) and most likely, being constantly berated by my boss is why I'm feeling this way. I'm looking at a job change. It's just that i've only been here going on 8 months and I'd feel like a quitter if I left. But no one (at least no one making my pay rate) should have to deal with verbal attacks/insults/etc. And the worry for the job makes me then worry about everything else (will my parents make it home from work safely? Will my brother drive carefully? Will my fiance love me when i'm nuts like this?.... you get the picture.) I do appreciate your advice!!!

living' large in MO
Go to Top of Page

showmemom
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

karen
carthage mo
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  10:10:26 AM  Show Profile
hey rachel-

first, way to stick it out on your job! it sucks to work for an organization/person who totally drains your joy and ambition by being abusive.

second, life is short. don't be bound by "i oughta be able to handle this" line that all of us have heard at one time or another. someone who can obviously multi-task like you have been doing can find another job. believe me, i understand about being dependent on a paycheck but your health is at stake here. try to explore different options-if you attended college, oftentimes there are resources available to alumni to help you work on your resume and explore other career options.

and third, i'm sorry you've had a bad experience with the medical profession. there ARE practitioners out there who will listen to you and help you with diet, exercise and lifestyle changes but you're going to have to keep looking, i'm afraid. the lure of just giving you a med is pretty overwhelming. If you're interested in herbs, try to find a knowledgeable herbalist or practitioner; i wouldn't recommend just going to Wal-Mart or somewhere and self-medicating. Herbs are medicine and all medicine has side-effects.

i, too, have struggled with anxiety and depression for much of my life and have found over time that getting myself as much in balance as i can helps more than anything. when i'm crazy busy and eating too much processed food, i don't sleep well and my heart races and on and on and on. try to take one area at a time so you don't get overwhelmed and know that there are many of us out here that are pulling and praying and sending good thoughts your way.

talk to you soon. karen

*a good laugh is sunshine is a house* W.M. Thackery

living' large in MO
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  10:33:11 AM  Show Profile
Rachel,
I suffered from periods of anxiety/depression through most of my twenties and half of my thirties. I tried medication, exercise,counseling, etc. A very wise counseler encouraged me to let go of and speak my bottled up feelings. I felt , back then, that I should be able to handle it all and that expressing strong emotions made me "weak" and not very lady-like. (Don't ask me where I picked THAT one up, but somehow I did!) My problem was compounded by MY "bully" ,my very opinionated (now former) father-in-law...who believed a woman/wife/child was to be seen and not heard.When he barked, everybody jumped.
Long story short, It took me awhile to feel comfortable with my strong feelings and my voice. But, my oh my, when I was finally able to speak, I felt so strong...much better than any medication under the sun!!!
Most importantly my periods of anxiety and depression left forever and learning to put a voice to whatever I am feeling has helped in all kinds of situations with friends, family and strangers in every day life...not just with bullies.
Clare's rec. for rhythmic breathing is a lifesaver in a pinch.
I have also used that technique many times.Strength will come simply from knowing that you have the power within you to get a grip on your anxious feelings once you have tried it a time or two.
No one needs to suffer like this at their place of employment....
we are all behind you, where ever your next step takes you.

Sue

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  10:50:24 AM  Show Profile
Rachel, My heart goes out to you...For what it's worth, here's my two cents worth...You are allowing your boss to wound your spirit...and a spirit wounded is open to anxiety, depression..ect. The human heart is a fragile thing, you must wear your armor. I am a firm believer in the power of positive thought and attitude. There is so much unseen and powerful communication flowing between human beings. I have found in my own life I can deflect this negativity an attacks on my spirit with positive thoughts. I try to disarm the other with compassionate thoughts. It is amazing how that person can pick it up nonverbally and back off...sometimes they don't know what hit them. This may not work all the time...but keeping good thoughts tucked away is power... I am not asking anyone to kiss ####, just use their own power of positive thinking.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  12:04:23 PM  Show Profile
Long story short, It took me awhile to feel comfortable with my strong feelings and my voice. But, my oh my, when I was finally able to speak, I felt so strong...much better than any medication under the sun!!!

I'd like to echo BlueEggBabe and agree that once you get past the worst of your anxiety, you will be stronger for it. I know that's hard to believe when you feel like your caught in a tornado so to speak.

You can eat that elephant...it's just one bite at a time.

Live a good and honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  08:32:50 AM  Show Profile
Rachel, I am so glad that I logged on today. I am going on vacation and hadn't planned to fit in a visit to the forum this week, and I haven't been on for awhile. I have never been diagnosed with GAD, but believe me I can get worked up over certain things. There is no elephant to search for at least in my case. I am older now and still learning, somewhat wiser than when I was younger. For me a big trigger is traveling - I don't really enjoy it - especially on airplanes. We are leaving Friday, and I have been getting worked up over it all week, on and off. I can completely understand your feelings and situation. I have never been on any drugs and don't plan to. My husband last night said maybe I should talk to a "professional" but I did that once and she was unsympathetic, etc. so I never went back. I read a book entitled The Sensitive Person (or Personality), and it fit me to a tee. I cannot stand bright lights, extra noise, etc. and that's part of the problem; rushing around a noisy airport certainly doesn't help, and I also cannot tolerate hot temperatures. I think you will have to do some serious reading, talking, etc. that helps for me. Find someone you can talk to, not necessarily someone you are "close" to; just someone who will listen without telling you what "they" think is wrong. It definitely helps to talk about what you are feeling, thinking, etc. even if you have to talk it out with yourself. I am a naturally quiet, somewhat shy person, so I found I had to talk to myself first (not out loud, just "to" yourself). If you can find a place away from home, a park, church, even if you have to sit in your car. Do this many times, not just once. I am just getting to my feelings and being finally able to voice them to others. You will have to talk with others eventually like Diane says. I do find that the only medication I need is one imodium before a trip! I know this is rather long and I probably should have shortened it, but I wanted to reply before we leave. It will get better, keep that in mind, and no - you are not losing your mind.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  08:48:34 AM  Show Profile
Cecelia, headphones with relaxing music playing is also helpful! Smoothes out all those unpleasant feelings that travel can bring on. Hope you have a fun and safe trip!

Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  09:35:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi Rachel! I feel for what you are going through and I am also a very sensetive person. One of the best things I have done is give myself permission to feel whatever it is that I am feeling. If I have an emotional day and feel teary, then I find some time by myself to have a little cry, if my husband does something that hurts my feelings, then I sit down and tell him,"what you did hurt my feelings". I have spent all of my life being a people pleaser and making sure that everyone else had what they needed(that's the nurse in me) that I forgot to take care of myself. I think women especially tend to take better care of others than we do ourselves. My developing health problems 2 years ago has been a life changing experience and has forced me to examine the things I have just described.

I have been in a similar job situation as well, and looking back I don't know why I stayed as long as I did other than I was feeling the way you are feeling. Don't allow someone else to break your spirt down in that way and absolutely, do not, feel guilty about getting another job. You deserve better than that.

What has helped me with the anxiety itself is to not let it spiral. When you feel the anxiety coming on stop and take long slow breaths and tell yourself that it's just anxiety and it's not going to hurt me. I don't need to be afraid of it(a lot of times it's our fear of the anxiety coming on that makes us more anxious) If it's over a certain situation then acknowled it, don't try to stuff it, it only makes it worse. Also distract yourself with something that you enjoy doing. I got back in touch with my artistic side and share that with my farmgirl buddies once every 3 weeks when we get together and laugh, eat, and create. There's no better medicine than laughing, sharing with and hugging your girlfriends. I also volunteer one or two afternoons a week at a friends farm. There have been times when I have been very anxious and once I got out there with other people and around the animals and the gardens my anxiety would drift away.

I feel a lot of my anxiety has been because I was trying to win approval from other people and put a lot of pressure on myself because of that and also I lost sight of who Missy really was on the inside. Don't feel guilty about taking care of yourself and find daily quiet time to get to know yourself again.

I too was given lots of meds in the beginning and couldn't tolerate any of it. I found over time that outside of the emotional reasons it was also being aggravated by food allergies. That's something you might want to consider. Try to be aware if your anxiety ever worsens after eating. I never had food allergies, but the stress I was under broke down my immune system and I started having all sorts of problems.

Sleep is also very important. You can try chammomile tea as was suggested and I use Valerian root if I am having a difficult time with sleep. Getting a good nights sleep makes all the difference in the world!!

Sorry for being so long winded. I just feel very passionately about this because of my experiences and know how debilitating it can become.

Just a final thought-sugar and caffeine can aggravate anxiety

Blessings,

Missy

"Show me you're garden and I shall tell you what you are."
-Alfred Austin 1905
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  10:06:24 PM  Show Profile
Just adding to what the others have said: If you wish to become stronger or have alot of past hurts, here is a way to deal with it. Many find it hard to give our adults selves praise or recongition etc. Here is what worked for me. Get a favourite baby picture of yourself and have it blown up. Place it where you can see it where you lay down to relax. Now, go slowly thru the years with that baby giving her all the things you feel she deserves and praise for all she has accomplished. Go slowly a bit each day.

Sommetimes it is easier to give to others as we feel we are not good enough to deserve any recongition. But in working with the baby pic you are actually strengthening yourself with all the love, praise etc,that this small baby deserves.

Unfortunately for anxiety there is no quick fix, and the drugs they give you only mask the anxiety, they dont deal with it.
Also close family etc can make an anxious perons life hell as they dont understand how disableling anxiety is.

Rescue Remmedy = homophathic drops are safe and can be of help.

Please feel free to email if you wish to chat more

A great oak, is just a little nut which held it's ground.
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  11:02:47 PM  Show Profile
IMHO we need not be too quick to jump on the "no medication" bandwagon. There are those I have met (and possibly some here) who have such severe anxiety that they may need meds to help them get a grip on the fear, etc. that anxiety can manifest. Nobody wants to take meds, but it can help folks get their feet planted underneath them again. Also, as I said before, some folks have anxiety with a real physical cause, a chemical imbalance. These folks can try all the homeopathic or relaxation therapy in the world, but it will never make their anxieties go away without balancing medication.
The last thing someone with GAD needs to feel is guilt or weakness because they need meds.

Diane

Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  12:08:46 AM  Show Profile
I want to send you a big hug also. I have Depression with Panic Disorder and have been under proper care for about 18 years. I don't "like" taking meds either. But that is sort of the point of taking something "mind altering". Your mind isn't brain isn't working correctly and "altering" it is what may make you feel better. I have taken Prozac and clonazapam for 18 years. This is just my opinion. There are herbal remedies like valerian and St. John's wort, but I wouldn't just go buy the stuff and take it without a knowlegeable homeopath working with me. And combining Rx drugs and herbs can cause a reaction.
Also, I find that listening to a progressive relaxation tape helps me unwind and get to sleep. I use the one from the Midwest Center for depression and anxiety. They do infomercials. I purchased the program and it really helped.
I also have started therapy with a really good therapist. (God knows there are some really bad ones out there.) There is usually something you're stuffing inside that is contributing to the problem.
Meds don't have to be a forever thing, but maybe to get through a rough patch. And drugs with therepy combined have proven to be the best solution for these kinds of disorders.
Blessings and good luck!

Jana, WI
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  09:10:14 AM  Show Profile
Thank you everyone for all your advice. I'm still extremely stressed and teary. Last night, an unexpected bill sent me into a crying fit for about an hour. Then I had a fight with my fiance and it got worse. I'm more in control today (gonna deal with the bill and we made up!) If I could find an anti-depressant that I didn't react adversely to, I would definitely try it. However, so far I've tried six different ones and either have been allergic to them or they have caused crazy side effects and I've had to go off them. I appreciate everyone's advice and I believe I can get control over it. I've got to de-stress if at all possible. I will find a way! But thanks to everyone for your concern! I'll be a'ight. I'm gonna sit down with an MJF magazine (or the book), put on some Michael W. Smith music, and chill!!
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  10:28:00 AM  Show Profile
Big hug Rachel, nothing like finances to throw you into a tizzy. It'll get better, it really will.

Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  1:08:57 PM  Show Profile
Rachel hope everything works out. Right now I am trying to "cool it" as we are leaving for vacation tomorrow, early, and some unexpected things came up last night and this morning. That really throws me. I find that reading helps, music doesn't, esp. if it's on earphones. The reading, esp. a novel, sort of takes my mind off stuff. And everyone is right about drugs, try not to use them. I have heard those infomercials and was wondering of the tapes helped - maybe I will try them. As for therapy I went (once) and the "therapist" was of no help whatsoever.
Maybe I'll try again, as we have new health insurance now. I am also thinking of going to a gym to swim, as taking a hot bath or shower helps, I figure water exercise might be good, or just swimming. I walk and recently started biking again; the walking (alone) helps - sometimes I just go to a park and have a good cry while I'm walking - wear dark sunglasses and the stress seems to leave your body with the tears. I read that tears, esp. when you are stressful, contain chemicals which your body needs to get rid of when you are stressed, so a good cry is beneficial in more ways than one. Good luck, I will be thinking of you.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

QuiltingQueen
True Blue Farmgirl

104 Posts

Jane
La Porte Indiana
USA
104 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  6:28:54 PM  Show Profile
Rachel,
Was thinking of you and wondering how things are going for you. How's it going? I'm hoping you have some good days to report. You've got a bunch of farmgirl friends out here who care about you very much. Please give an update when you get a chance. Hugs from me...

Jane

"Let us then plant with diligence and care
The garden of the soil,
But let us, with far deeper earnestness,
Tend the garden of our hearts."
~ from The Cottage Gardener, 1849
Go to Top of Page

hapyhrt
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  02:57:01 AM  Show Profile
This thread hits so close to home that I can't help but say a big thank you to those who truly understand that sometimes anxiety is indeed caused by a chemical imbalance and not an outside factor of stressful events in life. GAD runs throughout my family- great grandmother, aunt, sibling, cousin and even their children now. Which leads me to firmly believe it truly is hereditary for whatever reason.
I was diagnosed with GAD and depression after years of suffering in silence. Even as far back as the tender age of 5 I had anxiety issues and I'm now 46 years old. It has been a long battle and robbed me of peace of mind, adventures, friendships and financial stability and affected every aspect of my life. I've undergone various specialized programs for anxiety disorder both with a specialist in this field and in self-help programs,therapies,meds and whatever offered even the slightest glimmer of hope, with minimal results. Having spent literally thousands of dollars in searching for a "cure" I've come to realize that we all have "our cross to bear" in life. I don't understand why this condition has caused me such pain, suffering and humilation and continues to linger on but I'm still hopeful that one day I'll be free of it.
Knowing others understand that sometimes it's not just an outside factor or "all in your head" mentality sure goes a long way in helping those like me to feel we're okay even if we are "wired different" as a friend once called it.
Thanks for your patience and understanding, friendship and caring. ~Blessings~

"Think HAPPY Thoughts...any others aren't worth your time!" Ü
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  7:49:03 PM  Show Profile
I have never been diagnosed, but I have terrible anxiety about silly things, and really am one of those people with no elephant in the room. I found that taking the herb kava kava relieves all of the extraneous anxiety, but leaves me normal amounts so all the ability to sense danger or risk isn't removed. I take it every day, and feel it is a Godsend.

You should know, however, that kava kava has been known to cause elevated liver enzymes in people with iffy livers. So if you have any doubts, make sure you monitor this with bloodwork.

Good luck to you; it sounds like you have a plateful. (((((HUGS)))))
Go to Top of Page

Ahodge
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Anne
334 SW Well, Fort White FL
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  11:33:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Ahodge a Yahoo! Message
Add B complex with Vitamin C to your diet and let me know how you feel after 2 weeks.
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Dealing with anxiety naturally Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page