Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE LAZY DAYS OF SUMMER???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE LAZY DAYS OF SUMMER??? Next Topic  

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  07:06:15 AM  Show Profile
Remember that song? The lazy crazy days of summer? Well it seems to be anything but anymore. It might still be crazy. Everyone seems to have so much to do and so many places to go, sitting on the porch with your ice tea and fan doesn't seem to be the thing anymore. Well I for one miss those days, this hurry hurry run run is kind of sad. Unless of course you love it, then that is a good thing for you.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  07:45:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I miss it too, Nancy Jo. Swinging on the porch swing,reading a good book, one leg hanging off for the occasional push. I make it a point when I'm at the farm working, to stop and sit on my porch and DO NOTHING - at least for a few minutes...

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  07:59:43 AM  Show Profile
I thought it was just because grownups don't get summer vacation! But it really does seem like there are more big events and parties these days, and I feel obligated to go to them all. My best moments of summer this year have been the few minutes I spend picking my beans to cook for dinner.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  08:03:40 AM  Show Profile
Work. Work. Work. Take the kids to soccer, take them to scouts, take them to the pool. Noone stays home anymore! When I was little, we didn't do anything BUT stay at home, or go up "home" to my gran's, and there we, guess what? Sat on the porchswing, drank lemonade, or I rode my bike ALL over her little town.

We have friends who have two kids, and I really thought summer was when they were supposed to be out of activities, but these two do more in the summer than during the school year. She's always carting them back and forth.

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

cabinmoose
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Lorna
Forest Hill MD
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  08:50:22 AM  Show Profile  Send cabinmoose an AOL message  Send cabinmoose a Yahoo! Message
I agree the world is in hurry up mode!

It actually drives me nuts! I just want to enjoy life.

Although in an email eariler this week that someone sent me there was a humorous statement.

It said:

Life is short.....who said this? Have they lost their minds, life is the longest thing we get to do! lololol

So very true but it just goes by so very fast!

My daughter is always whining I am bored lets do something, so I will say ok, lets go sit on the porch....lol she gets mad at me!

Hugs,
Lorna
Forest Hill, MD

“I laugh, I love, I hope, I try, I hurt, I need, I fear, I cry.
And I know you do the same things too, So we're really
not that different, me and you.” ~Colin Raye

Edited by - cabinmoose on Aug 15 2007 08:50:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  10:15:57 AM  Show Profile
I agree. Life seems hectic year round. I love to sit on the porch and shell peas,drink lemonade, watch the birds in the birdbath. This is my idea of a very good day. I don't do it as often as I would like. When my chidren were at home during summer break we really tried to take it slow. I let them sleep in, have a nice breakfast, and just hang around the house. Most days we packed up a small cooler and went to the pool for the afternoon. All the other moms and their kids were there so they all had a great time playing in the water. Me and the other moms would just chat all day and have a nice time. We stayed in the pool too. We had a little place at the beach so some of our time was spent there just playing in the sand, collecting shells, eating watermelon. I still had my business to run from home but I always managed to make it work. I cut my schedule way back when they were home and worked alot in the late evenings in my workroom. We stayed away from scheduled sports or any other kind of sceduled activities and enjoyed it that way. I actually dreaded it when school started back in Sept. This meant we had to get up in the mornings and get back into our regular routine. I really miss those days and would do it all over again if I could.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  11:51:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yup- It certainly feels like the days are more full. Just trying to get everything done between the next appointment or whatever can get stressful. I find my days certainly fly by. I always feel like if I could just get caught up with all my chores, maybe in the long run I would have more spare time.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  1:25:14 PM  Show Profile
I stayed home sick yesterday, and by afternoon I was feeling well enough to go get a cup of coffee in the kitchen and then meander out to the patio, where I settled into my reclining chair and put my feet up, closed my eyes, and just listened to the sounds and enjoyed the warm sunlight. It was so relaxing, I haven't done that for forever... and it really felt good.

It was worth all the catch-up I had to do today at work.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE LAZY DAYS OF SUMMER??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page