Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Susan's Favorite Bread Next Topic  

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2005 :  06:11:18 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Susan's Challah

5 cups unbleached white bread flour
2 tsp salt
2 TBSP yeast
2/3 cup milk
2/3 cup plain yogurt or sour cream ( I almost always use homemade yogurt)
1 egg beaten
1/2 cup butter softened
1 egg beaten for glaze

Warm the milk/yogurt together to 90 degrees. Mix the flour and salt in a bowl and make a well in the center. Put the yeast in the well and add the warm milk/yogurt mixture. Mix to disolve with your fingers. Add the beaten egg and butter. Mix to form a dough. Turn onto a floured work surface and knead for 5-10 minutes until soft and shiny. Let the dough rise in a greased bowl covered with oiled plastic wrap, in a warm place for about an hour or until doubled.

Turn dough onto a lightly floured work surface, punch down and form into a ball. Divide the dough into 4 equal parts. Roll each piece into a rope about 10 " x 1 ". You may have to work slowly with a little rest in between so as not to stretch the dough to quickly.

To make the dough into a braid, press the four ropes together on one end, giving them a little twist and tuck for neatness.

Counting from your left, fold strand 1 over strand 2, 3 over 1 and 4 under 1 and 4 over 3. Repeat until you reach the end. As you work the strands will probably lengthen. Nip and tuck the second end in the same way you did the first. Place finished loaf on a greased baking sheet, cover wtih oiled plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for about 40 minutes.

Meanwhile heat the oven to 400.

Brush loaf with the second beaten egg and bake in the center of the oven for 35-45 minutes

Cool on wire rack.

This is our Friday night bread but lovely served with any meal. We spread with honey butter. Delicious! If there is left overs it mades great toast or sandwiches.

Blessings & Bliss!.· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´ -:¦:-~Susan~
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*
Wife, Mother, Natural Woman, Savonnière, Writer, Baker, Gardener.
Wife to Jerry for 27+ years
Mom to Zach, Gesikah, Nathan, Hannah, Rachel and Benjamin
Yetta to Sam

Proprietress of Dahlem's Soapworks
http://www.thesoapmaven.com

"It's no bad thing to celebrate a simple life" ~ Bilbo Baggins

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2005 :  06:59:11 AM  Show Profile
YUM! That looks heavenly!! I think I'll try it this next week!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2005 :  09:09:23 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Susan! Your challah sounds and looks delicious! I have not had honey butter in ages! I used to eat it right out of the tub when I was young! Do you make your own? My mouth is watering...I am baking this soon!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2005 :  09:24:52 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Yep...homemade butter and honey! Bring a stick of butter to room temp, stir in 1/4 cup honey, keeps...well I don't know how it keeps! We usually go thru it pretty fast! For a nice breakfast toast...add a touch of cinnamon to your butter/honey. YUMMY!!!

I have two loaves of regular bread in the oven now. I love LOVE LOVE to bake bread.

My goodness you have a lot of posts!!!!

Blessings & Bliss!.· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´ -:¦:-~Susan~
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*
Wife, Mother, Natural Woman, Savonnière, Writer, Baker, Gardener.
Wife to Jerry for 27+ years
Mom to Zach, Gesikah, Nathan, Hannah, Rachel and Benjamin
Yetta to Sam

Proprietress of Dahlem's Soapworks
http://www.thesoapmaven.com

"It's no bad thing to celebrate a simple life" ~ Bilbo Baggins

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2005 :  09:49:17 AM  Show Profile
I am a wee bit of a posting maniac, but I just love it here and all of these great ladies! Can't help myself!!!!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2005 :  4:08:44 PM  Show Profile
That bread is beautiful and sounds so good...if it cools off I will be baking it this week!!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  3:17:13 PM  Show Profile
Challah is one of my favs too! Great for French Toast! I love making it. Any braided or fancy type bread. I saw in your post...homemade butter & honey. Do you have bees? Milk Cow? We have a milk cow and when I find the time, I make homemade butter....I'm thinkng of bees but haven't quite had the time to research keeping bees.

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  12:41:59 PM  Show Profile
Wow that bread is beautiful! My mouth is watering. Maybe I should try that. I haven't had a whole lot of luck with baking but I do cook well!
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  12:49:06 PM  Show Profile
Wow-what a beautiful bread..I havent had much luck with bread~ anyone have a good herb bread recipe?
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  12:54:03 PM  Show Profile
Jan:
I think you can add herbs to just about any basic bread recipe. Rosemary is my favorite. I'd start with about a tsp. dried and then adjust to your taste. Yum.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  7:53:11 PM  Show Profile
Now looky at that loaf!! Wow Susan! When a photo has my mouth watering, you dun good! The breadaholic in me is going to end up back in the kitchen before the night is over. Slathering on the pounds!

I like bread thyme!
Anybody make mashed potato rolls? or sweet potato biscuits?
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  4:26:46 PM  Show Profile
That bread looks wonderful. I have taken braided breads to potlucks and have had people go crazy over it. The recipe I used for the braid was one for hot rolls with eggs and sugar in the dough. With free range chicken eggs, it comes out a wonderful golden color. Makes my mouth water just thinking of it.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  7:56:58 PM  Show Profile
Susan HOW did you get the pics in there?

I was Country before Country was COOL
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  7:58:09 PM  Show Profile
Ellen I would love to have the recipes for sweet potato biscuits and mashed potato rolls

Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  11:51:16 AM  Show Profile
Oh, you got me wanting to bake some bread now, but it's too hot! We'd love to have your recipe and pics at the Sisterhood website, may we use it? Check us out if you haven't already at
www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com
I too have wondered how to get the pics uploaded on here? Thanks, Sue

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  02:42:15 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Of course you can use the recipe and pics!

Susan
Proprietress of Dahlem's Soapworks http://www.thesoapmaven.com

Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  09:20:16 AM  Show Profile
Are you gonna tell us HOW you got those pics in here? lol

Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  12:34:07 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Susan, I sent it onto the web designer, it should be up soon. Was wondering if you have made that bread with wheat flour? We eat more wheat than white. Thanks, Sue

Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  4:46:43 PM  Show Profile
I can't wait until my kitchen is in order enough to try breadmaking again. Your bread is beautiful Susan. What a lucky family you have.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2005 :  08:45:05 AM  Show Profile
Susan Thanks for your recipe.Your photo is great inspiration! I used yogurt and wow what great bread!

For Arlene
sweet potato biscuits and mashed potato rolls recipes

sweet potato biscuit recipe.
4 cups flour
2 T baking powder
1/3 c sugar
2 t.salt
pinch baking soda
i cup butter, cold and cut into small pieces
1 1/3 cups cooked mashed sweet potatoes
1 scant cup buttermilk
Combine flour with baking powder, salt,sugar and baking soda. I mix together with a whisk to fluff the flour.Cut in cold butter with a pastry blender until crumbly, maybe 5-7 minutes.After cooking sweet potatoes. I like mine to be warm and moist in the cooking pan, whisk together sweet potatoes and buttermilk, add to my dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. You might need to add a little more flour - this dough will be wetter than normal.
Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead 3-4 times.Keep flour on your hands.Pat or roll dough to 1/2" thickness.Cut biscuits with a 1 1/2" round biscuit cutter and place biscuits on a lightly floured or you can grease the cookie sheet. You can always go bigger on size cutter, I just like the smaller size to feed the crowd of hootenanny friends.Bake in a preheated 425 oven for 10-12 minutes/til biscuits are golden brown on top. Makes 2-3 dozen.

I like to slice my biscuits while hot and spread a dab of soft butter on both sides.Then I place 2 small pieces of thinly sliced country ham between the biscuits.(Be careful if you have your ham shaved as it will dry out quickly.) I store in airtight container or you could place in foil trays and cover tightly. These freeze nicely and are great gifts. (I also give smoked turkey breast ones too)Reheat in a 350 oven for 5 minutes or so.

mashed potato roll recipe comes from my great granny.
1/2 cup mashed potatoes
1 cup scalded milk
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 package dry yeast
2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup shortening, melted
2 beaten eggs
2 cups flour

Combine potatoes, milk and 1 Tablespoon sugar.Cool to lukewarm. Add yeast and 2 cups flour, beating thoroughly.Add sugar, salt, shortening,eggs, and 2 cups flour. knead lightly. Let rise until doubled and place in greased bowl in refrigerator overnight.Shape dough into balls. Place 3 balls in muffin tins and let rise until double.Bake in preheated 400 oven 15minutes.
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2005 :  3:33:08 PM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Hey!!! On the computer at my brother's. We evacuated to Bossier City. No power...not word of when either. My mom would have never made it in the heat. So we came up here. Dont know when I will be back home and back up and running.

Love you all!

Susan
Proprietress of Dahlem's Soapworks http://www.thesoapmaven.com

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2005 :  5:14:05 PM  Show Profile
Susan
So glad you checked in!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keeping you in our prayers!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  11:50:34 AM  Show Profile
Susan, stay safe and keeping you in our prayers!

Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  10:49:22 AM  Show Profile
That bread is so beautiful! I love to bake bread, too. Friday, when our power was out from the hurricane, I was reading throught MJ's book and saw her recipe on p. 38 for sourdough. So, went right into the kitchen and started the starter! That challah looks like a challenge I'd like to take on...
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  11:55:45 AM  Show Profile
We LOVE sourdough, thanks for reminding me to make my starter for the baking season ahead! Glad to hear your safe.

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Susan's Favorite Bread Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page