Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic My cat has ringworm...ugh Next Topic  

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  1:51:25 PM  Show Profile
Just found out today one of my cats has ringworm. He had some hairloss on his leg and the vet did a culture and ringworm showed up.

I didn't know ringworm wasn't a worm. Duh. It is a fungal infection. I have another cat so I am busy bleaching bedding and vacuuming. It says to steam clean the carpets but no way can I afford that and I am disabled so it would be hard to do it myself.

But the vet said this is common and 20% of cats are carriers and never get it.

Max (the cat) has to go in and get three or four weeks of baths. He is not happy about it. Next week I have to take my other cat in for 1 bath.

Has anyone had any experience with this? I thought it was a worm and I litterally got sick to my stomach. Now I know if I get it, there is a cream to rub on and it will go away. And no worms.....ha. So why in the heck to they call it ringworm?

May God bless those who love the soil,

Patsy

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  1:56:47 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
becareful humans get it too. We had cats with it when I was a kid my little sister got it. It is a type of fungus and grows in rings just like mushrooms do. And it kills all the hair above where it grows. The hair will grow back after the fungus is gone. But the fungus can stay in the house for a while so watch for re-occurrences it does have spores just like mushrooms

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/

Edited by - sunshine on Aug 10 2007 2:00:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  4:07:38 PM  Show Profile
I was just reading about ringworm in the Rodale book of Natural Home Remedies. Its all anticdotal, but they recommned using vitamin E oil. I bet kitty would like that way more than icky fungal baths!!
Good luck!
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  4:22:30 PM  Show Profile
I think one of my dogs has ringworm. Gotta make a vet appointment. Yuck! My hubby had it many years ago on his heel.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  6:55:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
If you have someone close to you that could rent a Carpet Dr. and steam your carpets for you, I would strongly suggest it as, like was previously mentioned, humans can get it too. I got it one summer from the swimming pool and it can itch like crazy or not at all. So make sure to keep an eye on places you don't normally look- like your back- or your might get it and not notice until it starts spreading. It can be easily cleared up with some simple creams.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic My cat has ringworm...ugh Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page