ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  11:52:19 AM  Show Profile
I know someone out there will have advice for me on this...

Because we just moved earlier this year and I'm in the process of working up a garden, I planted my tomatoes (2 kinds - red slicing "Manitoba" and yellow roma "Golden Candle") in large tubs with drainage holes.

It's been a very hot, humid summer and my tomatoes are at the point where they are just starting to ripen. But, quite a few of them are going brown and mushy from the bottom, where the little yellow blossom was. My MIL says it's from not enough water, although I water them daily. I'm thinking it's the humidity. Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks so much, I was really looking forward to some vine-ripened tomatoes.

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  12:05:27 PM  Show Profile
I have a couple to do that, too. I think it's called blossom rot? Anyone?

I don't know the why's of it, though. It's only on one plant, and the other fruit on the same plant are fine. I picked them off so they wouldn't "gross" out the others :)

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  12:06:56 PM  Show Profile
How about this from our local extension service:

"Blossom end rot is a physiological disorder of tomato fruits that affects both greenhouse and field grown plants. Blossom end rot occurs more frequently when plants grown under favorable conditions early in the season are subjected to long periods of drought during the early stages of fruit development. However, it can also occur after periods of unusually heavy rainfall. Losses from this disorder vary from negligible to severe, depending on the environmental conditions. Blossom end rot also affects peppers and eggplant.

Calcium deficiency has been shown to be a contributing factor to the occurrence of blossom end rot. Failure of sufficient calcium to reach the blossom end of the fruit early in fruit development causes the cells in this area to die. Many of the factors that contribute to this physiological process are not known; however, it has been shown that pathogenic organisms are not involved. It is common for secondary fungi and bacteria to invade dead tissue on fruit affected with blossom end rot. These organisms are sometimes mistakenly assumed to have caused the symptoms."

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  1:28:29 PM  Show Profile
Certain varieties are more supceptible than others to BER. Usually not all the tomatoes on a plant will do this it has to do with the conditions during the time each blossom was trying to set fruit. A quick shot of calcium (Foliar feed in the morning with butter milk) seems to help mine when we have a lot of BER.

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
]
My blog http://www.epicourier.com/Garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  08:38:31 AM  Show Profile
Two things you can do. One you can do now and one you do when planting. Right now, you can pick the dried blossoms off of every single tomato, even the tiniest ones. Also you can take a tums tablet because of it's high dosage of calcium, and stuff it down in the ground when you put your plants out in the spring. I'm not sure if you can stick it in the ground now down by the roots. It's probably a good idea to break it into a few pieces.

Both area a quick and easy fix. I am still picking the blossoms off of mine, and it's made all the difference in the world!!

Adding eggshells to your garden over the winter may help some too. especially if you crush or break them up real good!

good luck
Cristine
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  03:50:59 AM  Show Profile
Geesh,

Wish I had seen this earlier! If it's not maruding chickens, it's this!

We thought it was from too much composted leaves mixed in to the hole when the tomatoes were first planted.

It's been VERY dry for the past 2 months and a good moist spring, so this makes sense.

Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  09:41:31 AM  Show Profile
Keep picking those blossoms! as soon as you see they are dried up and brown, pick em off!
garanteed to work
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  10:11:29 AM  Show Profile
I am only getting that on my white tomotoes. So we havent gotten one to eat yet.

I think it is the weird heirloom

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com www.Botanical-Bath.com www.BotanicalBath.etsy.com http://botanicalbath.blogspot.com/

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  07:16:44 AM  Show Profile
Such good advice! I've been picking the blossoms off all of my tomatoes, and this problem hasn't come back. It's seems like it was just the first group that were rotting. Thanks again!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

jlm341
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Jackie
Red Lion PA
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  5:27:17 PM  Show Profile  Send jlm341 a Yahoo! Message
Thank-you! I've had this same problem. My tomatoes have only started to ripen in the last two weeks and now I'm loosing 1/2 to this BER. At least I can try and salvage what's left.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  7:48:32 PM  Show Profile
I had a real problem with BER this year too...but I planted at least 6 different varieties and most were not affected...so the chickens get the ones like that..finally we are getting good ones now..I LOVE fresh tomatoes. I love the tips..and will remember it for next year. We had alot of rain in the spring early and then LOTS of drought.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Weird Tomato Problem Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page