Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Own a business, running out of work, worried...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Own a business, running out of work, worried... Next Topic  

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  09:28:01 AM  Show Profile
My DH and I have our own painting business, and we've been extremely busy for 2 years since we started it, but all of a sudden, there isnt any work lined up, and we don't exactly have much money saved up for a dry spell such as this. He's finishing up a job today or tomorrow, but it's small, and that's the last money that will come in until the next job. I try so hard to manage our money, and I go without, and never spend unless I have to.

How do you gals who have your own businesses deal with the slow times? Do you ever worry?

Cristine

janetinva123
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Janet
newport news va
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  10:14:57 AM  Show Profile
there are day i wonder why i am in business when i don't make a penny for weeks. It is what I love to do so I keep on doing it. I am lucky have have a small pension for back up. The only thing I could advise is just keep on knocking on doors until someone says they need something painted.

Jc
http://beloved-creations.blogspot.com
http://beloved-creations.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  3:46:52 PM  Show Profile
what about contacting some area shops that might have furniture that needs painted? I know its not house painting..but if a few shops have other items that they need painted at least that would be a little bit of something. Another option is..what about hand lettering on store front windows? Some businesses pay to have cute scenes painted on their store front windows especially near the Holidays.
It would have to be a washable/removable paint of course.
Just a few ideas for ya.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  4:10:03 PM  Show Profile
I finally hired some painters this year to paint the interior of my house. The reason I called them and no one else was because three years ago, the wife (who used to babysit my kids) mentioned in her Christmas card to me that she and her husband had started a painting business. So I kept it in mind until I needed the painting done, then they were the only ones I called.

So, how does this apply to you? I guess I am saying to use every contact you have to get the word out. Let your neighbors and friends know you are looking for work. If you write a letter to someone, mention the business. Pay your utility bills in person instead of mailing a check, if there is somewhere in town you can do that, and mention your business to the person that takes your money. Call people you have worked for in the past and ask if they have more work for you, or know someone that might need some painting done. If you belong to any church or club or other organization, work it into the conversation.

In other words, get the word out!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  4:16:15 PM  Show Profile
another thing..is this..do you keep a list of past clients..folks that have used your services before? Check back with them ..call them and ask if they have any other buildings on their properties they may wish to have painted. Any other interior projects they may need done.
Sometimes folks change their interior colors every few years. So that is also an idea.
Perhaps branch out into painting murals on walls also.Not just straight colors. If you can branch out and offer things like faux finishes on interior walls, murals for walls, etc. that might offer you more of a market and fill in on those dry spells.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  8:27:57 PM  Show Profile
Use this time to drum up new business... Recontact prior clients, design and print up some flyers on the computer and pass them out, contact small businesses in town that might need interior painting, leave business cards on every bulletin board you can find in town, run a small ad in the paper... make some calls to local churches to see if they need painting...

You just have to use this time to advertise and network.

My dad always took a part-time job if things were slow... he did all kinds of interesting work - and some not so much fun - custodial, upholstery, yardwork etc. There might be some handywork you could pick up at the churches...

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  06:02:16 AM  Show Profile
Your husband might hit the payment and drop by new houses under construction and introduce himself and his business and leave his card or a flyer. Another place to do the same would be at builder/contractor's offices, cabinet companys, and maybe work for a very large painting outfit if they are overworked. All of these places are good for possible contacts. Things are slow right now and folks are nervous about the stock market so many are just "holding". Wish you the best.

Tina

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  06:12:49 AM  Show Profile
Howdy Christine...sorry you guys are going through this...a friend in our office, her husband runs his own painting business, and he has found luck with hotels, both new construction and remodels. He's also been working in commercial restaurants. Now, the hours are weird--usually at night after the restaurant closes, or during the day, with long hours at the hotels, but the money is consistent, and if you build a rapore, most of these folks own other hotels and restaurants.

Wishing you luck and keep plugging away. Doglady is right that business owners are being extra conservative right now.

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  08:35:40 AM  Show Profile
It will pick up!!! With the holidays approaching everyone wants their houses painted!!! My husband is a school teacher and paints on the side for extra cash and he's bombarded right before the holidays!!! Best of luck to you! Ditto all the above great suggestions!!!
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  7:41:37 PM  Show Profile
Cristine,

Since you have 2 years worth of satisfied clients how about sending out a "letter of appreciation". You could thank them for their past patronage and let them know that your company is offering an "End of Summer" special promotion that is offering them a __% off your regular labor fee.

This may tug at them to go on and get some painting done even if it's a fence, dog house, workshop and in the home. Let them know how wide of a scope of painting you will do. Alot of folks may think you will only paint the interior of a home so let them know "whatever it is that they need painted" you can do it for them.

Those small quick jobs will add up quickly and may in the end lead to more "small" jobs.

Let us know how things go, OK? I know how it is to be self-employed with a "dry spell" and wondering what to do next.

One more idea and this isn't about painting but it is a very good business and it pays well and the investment is small. You can even rent the equipment if you know anything about it. And that is Powerwashing Homes and Businesses exterior surfaces..There is really good money in this and would also be another "end of summer" offering.

Talk to ya later, Stephanie aka queenofdreamsz

www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com/apronpocketswap.html
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com/artfulapronswap.html

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

MamaHumbird
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Holly
Cleveland Missouri
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  8:28:56 PM  Show Profile
Cristine,
I couldn't decide whether to reply to this or not. I don't want to sound like a pesimistic person, I try to think of it as being realistic. I will try to make this short & sweet, but forgive me if I drag out, this is very near & dear to my heart and still very fresh in my house. My husband & I started a business 5 years ago. It was something that he had done all of his life and I had done the books for construction companies for enough years to know the "ins & outs." My point is, we didn't go in this blindly, it was something we had both been doing for years. We had 2 kids each when we met and when we started our business we had just had 2 together, 15 months apart. This was going to be ideal for our family and I could finally work from home and set my own hours. Well, it didn't exactly pan out the way we thought. Housing in our area (in the whole country for that matter) slowed way down the past year. The weather didn't help us any either. I finally decided to get a part time job. Then it turned into 2, and then 3. I am now in the process of going full time with 1 company and stop juggling all of these jobs. My husband is now in the process of getting a full time job somewhere else as well. That isn't to say your business won't make it, but I know that when I knew some other income was coming in, it helped me tremendously. The stress of trying to make the payments got to be too much for me. So I guess the point I am trying to make is, that if you think you can keep the business alive through all that is going on in the economy, one of you could get something part time on the side, that way you know something is coming in until the next job comes along. Best wishes in your business, I hope it survives through this rough time and you keep going. Just keep in mind that you are not alone and if you ever need any additional support, please let me know. I understand exactly where you are coming from and would love to help in any way I can.

Good luck,
Holly
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  9:55:24 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
christine,
i am really sorry you are going through this. money problems can really be tough.
my dad was a self-emplyed carpenter and we did fine, but it was the 50-60s and times really were different then. i have a great girlfriend here and her husband is a self-employed carpenter. he has had a pretty slow year, and i have really worried about them.
anyway, i got on the computer and there is a site called OnlyConstructionJobs.com.
it is free to the craftsman, but i guess the people looking for workers pays them a fee. what we called in the medical field a "headhunter". they are nationwide and now they send me job postings for my friends husband and i print them out and send them to her.
i know i have seen jobs for painters so they do cover all areas of the industry.
i hope that might help.
also, my dh has a partime job as a real estate agent. you may already do this, but if you drop off some cards with them, they can pass them on to new homebuyers or to sellers who need to spruce things up a bit.
anyway, someone mentioned a flyer or business card. if you dont have that, which i am sure you do, i have been dabbling in that a little, if you want i could print some out for you and mail them to you, just to get you through this rough time.
i hope some of this helps, i do worry when folks here are having a hard time, cause i really hate it when a farmgirl gets down.

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  08:29:13 AM  Show Profile
See, I'm not exactly worried about the money part yet. The job he is finishing wednesday will get us through for 2 months if need be.
I have signed up for soo many of those referral websites, and aparently they are just not used in virginia.
I have the fax numbers of all the real estate angents, and every so often, I fax out a flier type promo page.
We are on Sherwin Williams Service Connection(referral to home owners website)
We constantly put cards up on all the bulletin boards.

Maybe this area we live in is smaller than I think. There is SOOOOOOOO much new construction going on. Real Estate has SKYROCKETED in the last 2 years.
HEre's what we run into...
Spec house right up the road, the Gen Contractor wanted us to give them a price. On an itty bitty house. Caulk in all the trim, spray the doors, paint shelving in the closets, all one color walls, one color trim, and ceilings. Prime and 2 coat paint 1400 square feet, we gave them a price of 3800. Our paint cost would have been 1300, our labor cost 1500 which only covers DH and two employees. 10% of the employee pay has to get paid to Workers COmp. $100 Giving this job only one week to finish(which is relatively fast) Taxes will get 10 % of the job, so that's about 380. So by the time it's all said and done, the business would make 520 dollars. So you say, well, that's not too bad right? Well, the general contractor said that they were hoping we could do it for $1400 or less. They already have someone who paints and he does it for 1400 dollars!!!! It's people like that, basically a crackhead off the street that will work for DIRT cheap, no insurance, probably doesnt pay taxes, it's people like that that are making it hard on our business. So I'm always the one who says, Let's do this one for really cheap, and see what happens. We had a homeowner who wanted stairway ceiling, HUGE LR ceiling, screened porch ceiling with mold damage, and exterior T111 painted. WE give them a price for $1700 and we buy the materials. Porbably $600 in materials, same fugures for taxes, and insurance. They basically laugh at us.
Are we supposed to work for free? My husband said we should just call it Five Star Design & Charity, Inc. Grrrrr...
Thanks for all your love and support..
Cristine
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  09:22:02 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
cristine,
know this has to be very frustrating, which i had a solution, but i think the problem is bigger than a few people.
my girlfriend and her husband have similar problems, and now at 61 she is cleanning houses to help them through what is a lean time.
my dad had lean times in january-february so he always had indoor jobs lined up to cover those times.
but it was a different era. he was union carpenter on the gulf coast of texas and our entire area was union, so the competition, aka fly by night folks who werent really craftspeople didnt have a chance to really compete.
he made a very decent living , comparable to our neighbor who was a high school math teacher and coach. but people off the street who didnt have skills were not out bidding him for jobs.
it is a strange thing to me that in this country the folks who provide our necessities like food shelter clothing caretakers of the young and old, are not really appreciated.
i had some work done on my house a couple of years ago, took bids. it was amazing to see the folks who called themselves carpenters, etc.
anyway, when i have a problem and all else fails, i pray, it keeps the worry down, so i dont get sick, and if you dont mind, i will put you on my prayer list....in the meantime, if there are any farmgirls who have some jobs in the virgina area, i hope they will give you a call.
ill be thinking of yall and hoping for the best.

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  10:28:01 AM  Show Profile
Prayer is all that I can do at this point. Our business cards say interior/exterior, trim carpentry, sheetrock hang and finish, it's just as if the business has lived it's life, and now it's dying. We have been soooo busy, and not with the kind of clients you go back to. It's mostly commercial, in that once the job is done, its done. I will stay at home and pray and be conservative while my husband is out spending money making me worry more...ahhh...I need a vacation alone!
Thanks for your support,
Cristine
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  1:13:43 PM  Show Profile
I wished you lived closer to me I need my house painted. Is there something YOU could do to make some money on the side when things are not busy?
BTW powerwashing sounds like a great addition to the business. So many people don't need paint because of siding but may need powerwashing. Maybe concentrate on home repairs, small jobs do add up.
I grew up in a family own business My Dad was a land surveyor and when times were lean he took the little jobs that didn't pay much but many times lead to bigger jobs.
What kind of adverting do you do do you have a website many people search for services on line now , are you on local web sites , Yellow pages ?
Hope things pick up soon

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
]
My blog http://www.epicourier.com/Garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  11:26:22 AM  Show Profile
Christine, another thought is to take business cards or flyers to your local paint stores. When people buy paint, they sometimes ask for referrals for painters. I know our Home Depot and Lowe's keeps a list. Also, the real estate idea is a good one. People who are trying to get their homes ready for sale often don't have the time to do it themselves. My agent keeps a list of contractors for everything from major renovation down to painters, yard services and concrete clean ups. I hope this works out for you. We own our own business, too, so I know what you are going through!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  2:24:32 PM  Show Profile
Stop in to the local builders supply and paint stores and get to know the people running it. That is how I find folks to help me with things such as paint, plumbing, landscaping,etc. They always give me business cards for my contact. Talk to the people that run the store where you buy your supplies and see if they will refer their customers to you. Leave them your cards.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  4:19:28 PM  Show Profile
OK Christine....how's about we meet up girlfriend? Did you pick those pears? You can come to Richmond and stay with me a few days and we can go hit the fifty cent sales. I'll take you out to a tea shop, the local fabric stores and you can go down to the river with us and we can splash and swim at Pony Pasture Park for a day. We can go and do all of the free sights here in Richmond. We could even maybe take the girls to the beach for the day and look at the ocean.

I'm very serious about this offer. We can get together and have some cheap fun and perhaps it will lift your spirits. I'll even fit you with a new apron!

Think about it girl!

Georgann

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
http://auntgeorge.etsy.com

"Made With Love"
Go to Top of Page

BamaSuzy
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Alabama
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  06:35:41 AM  Show Profile
My husband began his own handyman/electrical business about eight years ago and it was unbelievable tight at first....he did any and every job...

Now he concentrates primarily on electrical and not only does it keep him pretty busy but also our 26 year old son, our son-in-law and our son's best friend...BUT there are still some slow times...

One thing my husband does is eat breakfast EVERY weekday morning at a small local restaurant that a lot of the other contractors frequent...you would be surprised at the number of jobs he's gotten just from that networking...

He's also made close friends with all the workers and the owner of the biggest local building supply business....and he gets a lot of referrals from them...

Our advertising was free until I quit being the editor of the local newspaper back in December, or we wouldn't have been able to affrod ANY advertising....but the best paid advertising that we've found is advertising in the yellow pages in the LOCAL phone book....

We get lots and lots of calls from that...

But the MAJORITY of the calls we get are from normal people who tell their friends, who call, and then they are satisfied with a job, and tell their friends, and it goes on and on...

it is hard not to panic when things get slow but you have to pray, keep beating the bushes for work, and it will come. Best Wishes!

You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt!
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  09:06:53 AM  Show Profile
OK. Georgann, that sounds like soooo much fun! I didn't get any pears! They got frost bite :( and no peacehs either.!

Girls, you see, we don't have a Lowes or Home Depot. Our business cards are already up EVERYWHERE. Since we spent over 30K last year at Sherwin Williams, they give us a free online referral service. ONly thing, is NO ONE uses it. Our profile has been looked at once this year, adn that was back in April!! We have cards and flyers everywhere. The yellow pages was really really expensive when we looked into it. We've tried the newspaper, but not one call. I sent a fax to every real estate agent in town offering our services, and references, and contact info. Well, come to think about it, I'ma get off here and fax them out again...couldnt hurt. Pray for some phonecalls after I fax!:)
Cristine

Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  09:45:43 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like you have covered the bases well and faxing everyone again is a great idea but how about visitng some of these businesses in person and putting a face behind the message. So many "cold" faxes are just ignored and if you see people face to face they are more apt to think of you when they need something. Wish you were near us we are doing some remodeling and the entire house is getting new paint, both in and out.
Hugs, Kathy
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Own a business, running out of work, worried... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page