Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  09:21:59 AM  Show Profile
I know I know---it is still summer but I have been getting bulb catalogs and all the garden mags have fall pictures on the front. So....I decided i would make my front door real pretty this year. We seldom use the front door because it the front door and we use the side door that goes right into the kitchen--the heartbeat of the farm home. So decorate i will and hopefully it will look something like this (I copied from a garden mag) MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  09:45:38 AM  Show Profile
WOW! If you can pull that off, I want to come and LIVE on your front porch, Mary Beth! Beautiful, and now I am getting excited because autumn is my favorite season, yippee! Nance
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  09:56:51 AM  Show Profile
I don't even want to hear the word "fall" yet, but I'll quickly admit that you just cannot beat the rich, warm colors of fall. Make sure you post a pic of your front door when you finish decorating it MaryBeth. That pic is just gorgeous.
Di
Go to Top of Page

janetinva123
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Janet
newport news va
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  11:00:24 AM  Show Profile
it is so hot here that I can't even go outside. right now it is 96 with 50% hummidity so it feels like 111. I want fall.

Jc
http://beloved-creations.blogspot.com
http://beloved-creations.com
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  11:33:46 AM  Show Profile
Janet, I am north of you but this Virginia heat is absolutely horrid this week, isn't it?

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  12:41:19 PM  Show Profile
Yep, sure, is warm, I mean hot! MB'S porch idea looks very inviting.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  12:49:37 PM  Show Profile
Very Welcoming & inviting!
i'm wonder how many Little tents we can squeeze up in there?

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  1:42:10 PM  Show Profile
Well it is in the 50s and sprinkling here so it sure seems like fall is almost here. Hope September warms up for us and THEN it can be fall. MB

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  2:13:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
That's going to be beautiful, Marybeth. How can a season as colorful as Fall bring on my least favorite season(dreary, cold old winter...ick!). And the temp here is TWICE what yours is today - LOL

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  5:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That will be wonderful! I can't wait to see what you end up with! I love fall but I feel cheated since I haven't even got one ripe tomato yet! (can you tell this is a sore subject?! LOL) I think I will start tomatos inside _now_ so I might get a ripe one by next June! LOL

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  6:07:50 PM  Show Profile
That is just beautiful. I love fall colors. You will have to post a picture when you are done. Cheryl :)
Go to Top of Page

Runbikegrrl
True Blue Farmgirl

250 Posts

MaryAnn
Waterbury Ctr VT
USA
250 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  02:49:44 AM  Show Profile
I love fall! Howwever, along with summer it is so short in central vt. We have winter from Oct to April and the other three seasons have to fight to grab a bit of the other 6 months! We are still having warm days but they are getting much shorter and the evenings and mornings are chilly right now it is about 45 on my outside themometer....fall is coming...hopefully winter won't upsurp it!

"So many interests so little time!"

http://lovelifelivegrrl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

knewslady
True Blue Farmgirl

555 Posts

Kathy
Russellville KY
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  05:59:44 AM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh Mary Beth I would trade for some of that weather in a heart beat. Our expected high today is supposed to be 104. I love the picture, it is absolutely beautiful and be sure to let us know how it goes.
Kathy

Will always be a farmgirl at heart
Visit my online shop at http://thebackfence.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  06:42:06 AM  Show Profile
I'm looking forward to sweater & jean weather too! I can't wait for autumn to begin, it's our favorite season! I love the picture from your magazine. My front door is part of a large deck, so it can't be seen from the street. Maybe I could something on the sidewalk leading up to it?

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  07:29:00 AM  Show Profile
My front porch can't be seen from the road either just part of the garage and I will decorate that too. Dawn, I think doing up the sidewalk leading to your porch would be fantastic. MB

Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  08:15:32 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
This is my entry, also a side door, for summer. Fall will bring many pumpkins, corn stalks, squash and lovely fall mums.
blessings
beth
I LOVE the fall----- it's football season!
I Can

http://blissnblossomfarm.com
http://lifeatbnbfarm.blogspot.com

www.firehousesoapcompany.com

Edited by - celebrate2727 on Aug 09 2007 08:30:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  08:19:28 AM  Show Profile
I have noticed the sun changing it's path in the sky ever so slightly, casting a different light on things. The mornings are a little cooler too. We have so many pumpkins this year, I can't wait to pick through all the vines.

http://diaryofafarmerswife.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  08:59:48 AM  Show Profile
Definately the nights and mornings are lots cooler. And dusk is much earlier. I had so many pumpkins last year but not this year. Oh well. All my containers are doing great and now that it is cooler they are really doing better. BUT I am ready for a change not cold and wet though. Maybe we will have an Indian Summer. Out here our true summer or at least the best days are generally Sept and Oct. MB

Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  1:00:27 PM  Show Profile
This morning I was watching Northwest Backroads and they were showing uniqe bed and breakfasts. If you want to see Fall decorating check out the videio for the Run of the River Inn and Refuge near Leavenworth WA. http://www.zidaho.com/sharedcontent/northwest/nwbackroads/stories/NW_BR223bedandbreakfasts.110038c7.html They decorate for fall with 5000 lbs of pumpkins! What do you think that costs? Ah what money can do. JoAnn P.S. It was 41.9 this morning going up to 85
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  03:54:42 AM  Show Profile
With all the dry weather/leaves browning it sure looks like fall around here!

I got kind of sad when hubby disked up all the corn last week. Boy it was good while it lasted, but the drought really took its toll.

for some reason the autumn veggies just aren't as dynamic as the summer ones. Guess it's because the plants don't go through such dramatic changes.

sure am looking forward to broccoli again!

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9325 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9325 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  5:47:15 PM  Show Profile
Oh I just love Autumn! I am already getting together my decorating ideas for the season. I found some real pretty material to make a new tablecloth. Soon I will be getting out more of our things to put around the house. Autumn never comes to quickly for me it just doesn't last long enough. We are already having leaves fall but I think that is from all the dry weather we've had.

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  11:38:18 AM  Show Profile
Hubby came in this morning from the garden and said the pumpkins were ready. Was it too early for me to display them on my porches? No Way! Nights are different here now. Much cooler. Nice weather to sit on my porches and drink tea! Susan
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  12:06:47 PM  Show Profile
I have to say ,after going into Micheals yesterday, I kinda got excited about all the fall colors and pumpkins, and fall colors.
BUT not quite yet,Please. Im still into summer for awhile longer
It has been cooler here at night the last week or so, so I know its coming :((
Shirley in Wa state(the water side of the state)
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  06:37:46 AM  Show Profile
It's been sooo hot here, and we've been without rain for weeks, but even before the drought/heat wave, I noted more spider webs than usual on and around our porch, and last Saturday, even though it was 98, this little squirrel was working his bum off collecting beech nuts. Up and down the tree he went, shaking them loose, picking them up and storing them.

This morning is lovely--feels chilly, like early fall mornings. I'm looking forward to it! Can't wait to make some curried sweet potato shepherds pie!!!!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  08:08:23 AM  Show Profile
Well i am getting close to my fall ideal. I need pumpkins when they are ready and maybe adding some height. What do you think? What do I need to add? MB

Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  4:35:10 PM  Show Profile
Fall is my favorite season of the year. I lived in Great Lakes, Ill. for 3 years and we would take a ride up into Wisconsin to look at the leaves and pumpkins. Needless to say, down here we have no fall to speak of, just heat and more heat. I have already decorated the inside of my home , but have not done anything to outside yet. I thought if I went on and decorated early, I would "feel " fall :) I love the pictures sent and hearing all of you talk about your decoration and then I plan on trying my hand at your suggestions !!!

Linda H.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic FALL IS COMING Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page