Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Musings on yo-yo fabric and other imitations
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Musings on yo-yo fabric and other imitations Next Topic  

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  09:02:09 AM  Show Profile
PLEASE, please keep in mind a couple of things as you read this post:
1. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone; I include myself in the "we", etc.
2. These are just my musings as I think this subject through. It's a complex subject and I'm definitely not an expert on this.
3. In mentioning a particular store or company, I'm NOT targeting them, just using them as a general example that most people will be familiar with.

That said, here goes . . .

Last week or so, there was a discussion here of the yo-yo fabric being sold at a craft store (Hobby Lobby maybe??). I actually saw a few pillows made from the fabric at Canton, btw. It was obvious that these were not home-made, so to speak. In that thread, it was also discussed about the hand-made quilts imported and sold for prices like $49.99, that are made in foreign sweat shops, etc. Also, from talking with vendors at Canton, it's obvious that many other countries (particularly Asian countries such as China) are mass-producing other types of craft products traditionally made by American artisans who produce high-quality products, not mass-produced in a factory. I was shocked to see how many items that looked on the surface like tried & true home-made items, turn them over and find a "made in ____" sticker and a company name on them!! I saw what looked like home-made soaps wrapped in plain brown paper, primitive candles, linens such as hand-embroidered dish towels with the days of the week, etc., etc. It was amazing and very sad.

Now, here is where my musings come in, and I thank you for being so patient. We all, myself included, hate to see these products being sold and we hate to see our neighbors, near or far, who create items such as these being hurt financially by these cheaply-made, mass-produced, cleverly-packaged substitutes.

However, as I worked myself into righteous indignation about people buying these imports, I had to admit that when I check a clothing label, it's to make sure it doesn't need to be drycleaned, not to see where it was manufactured. In fact, I can't remember the last time I checked a label to see where it was made. We've gotten so used to foreign-made products being sold here that we not longer get worked up about it or even think about it. Or at least, many of us don't.

And it moves beyond just single products. We go to Wal-Mart to get the best prices, claiming that we have to be careful with our pennies and dollars. But because of that, locally-owned grocers and businesses are becoming a thing of the past. Yes, Wal-Mart and most other chains like that are American-owned, but again, it's sort of like the "import" that's been brought in, not to our country, but to our communities.

Yes, we need to watch our dollars, but how much of what we throw in our baskets are really needs, not wants? So shopping locally and buying only American would mean we'd be able to buy less, but is that all so bad? Do we really need all the junk food or whatever extras we purchase? Would it be better if we went without those so that we could spend our dollars on local merchants and American-made products?

It's easy to get worked up about imports in the things WE make or our farmgirl friends make, but do we get as worked up about imports that impact others in our community and nation?

I realize that sometimes we don't have a choice, that a product we need and can find is an import and we can't find an American-made or locally-made alternative, and that's different. But I think that happens much less often than we'd like to think. And yes, it might take longer, at first especially, to search around for brands we know are locally/American-made, but again, isn't it worth our effort?

Okay, I've mused and probably said too much, and I sincerely hope I didn't offend anyone. But these are things I've been thinking about. I'd love to hear other respectful thoughts on this as I think this issue through. I'm really rethinking my purchasing decisions and know I need to make many changes, so I look forward to your input.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  11:22:35 AM  Show Profile
Patti -- this same thing bothers me too. Anyone who is an artist and puts so much of themselves into their craft would be upset about the "imitations". It just makes me even more determined to buy American made -- preferrably Farmgirl made -- whenever possible.

http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  11:50:39 AM  Show Profile
Kay, I think this forum is what really planted the seed of these thoughts for me. Before finding this site, I shopped in stores and bought what I needed -- I didn't really have much exposure to home/hand-crafted things. Since being a member here, though, I've read so many posts, visited farmgirl sites and blogs, and an entirely new avenue of shopping opened up to me. Unfortunately, I've thought of shopping at these venues as a "when things get better financially and the house is finished" option. I've decided there's no need to wait, and I'm going to set aside some time this week to reevaluate my shopping habits for things like groceries, toiletries, cleaning supplies, etc.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch
Go to Top of Page

gateway girl
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Shari
Missouri
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  4:02:49 PM  Show Profile
Patti, I totally agree. check out www.madeinusa.org / www.buyamerican.com / www.usstuff.com / www.stillmadeinusa.com / www.unionlabel.org you might find some of the products you are looking for.

Shari

Life is a chain of moments of enjoyment, it's not just about survival. Live every second to it's fullest!

Go to Top of Page

vintagegrl
True Blue Farmgirl

280 Posts

Jeanette
NH
USA
280 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  5:35:13 PM  Show Profile
This topic does strike a chord with me. Slowly this has been cooking in my mind for quite a while. I have been slowly weaning myself away from places like the Big W in favor of buying from local businesses. I find that a lot of people here at home complain about the small New England town becoming an anachronism. The economy has not only gone south, it's gone overseas. These businesses are closing because of lack of custom. No brainer. We can't have it both ways. We can't enjoy the beauty of the small New England town and buy solely from businesses in which the money goes out of the town, state, nation. What clinched this for me was the pet food recall. I am so naive about everything!! Driving by I see fields of corn, I stupidly thought that we as a nation actually don't need to import these type of things. We have this in our own country, why do we get this stuff imported from other nations? Yeah, Yeah I intellectually know about the import/export thing, etc. etc., but it just doesn't make sense to me. This is so important to me that even if I have to spend a little bit more (and believe me I am buying less because I live on a fixed income) to buy locally and US made, I will do so. Thanks for virtually listening to my vent. I better climb off the soapbox before I fall off!
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  7:31:42 PM  Show Profile
Patti you said that very well and I agree with you. I buy whenever possible local and American.
Cheryl

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  9:03:09 PM  Show Profile
Hey there everyone,

Patti, I applaud you for starting this topic. This is why I love this group! I feel like I'm "allowed" total freedom to be myself

I really dislike as you put it, the Big W. They may be an American owned company but they sell a very small percentage of "Made in the USA". Why? Because they are in the business of finding the "least expensive" product for the consumer to purchase even at the risk of offering substandard products. They fall apart, you return them, they give you a refund and the cycle continues.

They are buying so much in such massive volume from China that we are choking on it! Clothing labels say "Made in Pakistan", Made in Indonesia, Made in China, and the list goes on. When you pick up several of the same size of a readymade "imported" clothing item
and compare the measurements they almost always differ and in some cases to the extreme. So the quality of our readymade clothing market has gone to hell in the USA. This statement applies to the Big W all the way to Saks and Neiman Marcus.

At first glance it can be such an insult to those of us that insist on striving for that perfect creation. The upside to this is that the "Cottage Industry" businesses and individual designers and artists as myself as well as all you other ladies reading this are more and more in demand in the USA because people really are tired of spending hard earned money for products that are inferior.

American citizens are and have been buying more and more from the "American Citizen" artisan in this USA of ours It really is a huge movement and shows the "condition of the hearts" of many Americans. I'm sure I used the word "citizen" way too many times....Sorry!! Really don't mean to be on the Political edge but it goes hand in hand with what we are discussing.

Now for the catch 22 in my opinion and Patti you may have read my reply on that topic about the yo-yo fabric. China is producing at least 60% of ALL the cotton in the world right now. All of the clever and talented designers and artists in the USA are creating beautiful fabric designs and when they turn to have that fabric produced they are faced with the production.

It's produced in CHINA for the most part unless it's a Batik and then it's produced in Indonesia (which is another story) that isn't a bad thing!

This is why we can buy very good quality cottons, blends, etc. at prices as inexpensive as $3.00 and as expensive as $300 yard. If it was produced in the USA we would have to charge 500% more for the finished product due to the cost of materials.

True Indonesian Batik designs are an artform that is ancient and I view my batik fabrics as a collection and love to buy them. Of course, you have to make sure you aren't buying a batik design that was printed in China..LOL They are out there.

On the other hand it saddens me that our country has sold out so to speak on much of our common product items. We lead in technology and have subbed out everything else and it has led to our people reluctantly having to accept inferior products.

Now...as you can probably tell I've targeted one main country as contributing greatly to the decline of the quality of products that we are faced with buying everyday.

So here's the deal...we have China producing most of the cotton fabric these days and it's not altogether an inferior product. We buy it everyday and sew with it and refer to some of it as being a bit pricey....$8 to $16 per yard. But we buy it because this is who our favorite designers are using for production.

In my opinion where China is concerned it is more about the "labor force" and the conditions that people are working in to produce all of these products. It's no wonder they are inferior...These poor people live in a communist country and have "bosses" dressed in military uniform overseeing their work. It's a sweatshop that does not allow a person the time needed to produce anything of real quality. It's like working with a gun at your head...

So I guess that's my catch 22. I buy fabrics that are produced in China but I am totally burnt out on their inferior finished products being in my face in all of the "mainstream" establishments.

There are many countries that produce quality products. To name a few favorites...England produces beautiful awesome fabric and always has! They have fabric mills that have been around forever. However, it is pricey. But when you consider England's connection to the USA we should embrace all products made in England whenever we can afford it. Switzerland and German made fabrics are fine quality but have a higher bottom line also but usually not as expensive as English fabrics.

Again, I will raise my hands and praise all the USA citizens that design and create wonderful first class superior creations and promote "Made in USA". We as a collective group are the new "Little Guy/Gal on the block" these days. Where the American farmers, grocers, hardware, etc has all but disappeared I believe this movement amongst the creative people are replacing what mainstream American has watched disappear for several decades.

The good news is that you can't stop a creative person..no matter what. We find a way to show and sell our goods and the masses are looking for us right now as I'm typing this.. And that is what keeps me going in a country that is trying to be everything to everyone.

A stat to ponder right now is: The Etsy.com selling platform has grown from around 30,000 to over 200,000 in just 4 or more years. This should show you "the voice" of alot of American designers and artists that decided that what they had in mind is much much better than what they are facing at the Big W!!

Ok, I think I may have fallen off my soapbox These are my "musings" only and are not intended to offend anyone or represent what anyone else on this group mey or may not think or feel...No ill feelings towards anyone from another country or how they choose to live. I believe that covers it!

Hope to hear more about other farmgirl musings

...til next time ~ queenofdreamsz

www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  03:22:25 AM  Show Profile
Patty, Jeanette & Stephanie.....very well said! Thanks to Patty for bringing this up, Jeanette for pointing out that we can't have it both ways, which is probably really the way we all want it to be :) and to Stephanie for giving another angle on the issue.

There are no real easy answers at this point, that's for sure. But we have definitely "evolved" away from an indpendent manufacturing nation to a nation that's more and more dependent on other nations. We want to be the brains, and let someone else be the brawn--let them do the dirty work--and do it cheaply.

You primarily talk about fabrics and home things, but what REALLY scares me is heavy manufacturing and oil. Who are we dependent on to manufacture parts, steel, planes, tanks, electronics, etc., etc., etc.? Maybe it's not politically possible, but if we got into a real knock down, drag out, embargo producing brawl with the asian or middle eastern countries to the point that we were not able to get products from them, then I believe we'd be in a world of hurt....for a while at least until we could get ourselves ramped up to produce whatever it is that we needed.

We talk about dependence on foreign oil, but we're dependent on foreigners for many, many other things as you've already pointed out. So much so that we don't even have the physical facilities to produce quite a few products here anymore--look at all the empty factories.

"They" call it a "global economy", and say it's a good thing. Quite a disturbing issue if you ask me. And on that note, have a great day farmgirls!!

http://ktknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Musings on yo-yo fabric and other imitations Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page