Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Support
 Suggestions
 More recipes that don't require mixes, please!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Suggestions: Previous Topic More recipes that don't require mixes, please! Next Topic  

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  12:25:53 PM  Show Profile
I never use mixes out of principle (it's cheaper and better to cook from scratch, I've found). Also, I keep kosher, and since MaryJane's mixes are not certified kosher, I can't use them.

I own MaryJane's book, and I love it. I've made a few of the recipes from it (including bakeovers and a blueberry-apricot cobbler) and I just recently got a MaryJane's Farm magazine with my first order of ChillOver Powder from the website. I was very disappointed to see that nearly all of the recipes in the issue required a mix to create.

I would be much more willing to buy MaryJane's magazines if there were more from-scratch recipes available. Would it be possible to see more from-scratch recipes in the future?

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  3:22:33 PM  Show Profile
Hi Amanda,

We’re glad you cook from scratch but many people don’t or can’t. The issue of our magazine you got for free with your order is designed to be a companion to our ChillOver Powder and our Budget Mix - otherwise how would you know how to use something like MJ’s ChillOver Powder? We’re the only people selling it, so there aren’t recipes out there for it. If that bothers you, I would suggest you stick with MJ’s books. Those are funded by a publisher and their intent is not to sell our products, whereas our magazine (our catalog) is funded by us and is our way of trying to pay for things like this forum, which is also free to you.

Thanks,
Carol

P.S. Even though the company that processes our ChillOver Powder for us is certified kosher, we aren't a certified handler of kosher products. We hope that's okay with you.
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  3:24:05 PM  Show Profile
I think that magazine that they include with the order has the instructions for making your own "Budget Mix," which I thought was very generous of Mary Jane. In your case, it would allow you to use kosher ingredients. From what I read, a big part of the MJF philosophy is being able to make good, healthy, organic food quickly, and hence the use of the Budget Mix. I know I saw that recipe for the Budget Mix in one of the magazines; let me know if you don't find it. It might also be in her book. Good luck. Judy

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  4:17:16 PM  Show Profile
Judith, Can you share the recipe for making the budget mix? Thanks JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  4:23:28 PM  Show Profile
The recipe is in MJs big book... I am technically in the middle of paying bills, so I'll look it up in a little bit.

Oh, wait it's right here!

Basic crust recipe:

1 1/2 CUPS FLOUR
2 TEASPOONS BAKING POWDER
1/4 TEASPOON BAKING SODA
3/4 TEASPOON SALT
3 TABLESPOONS BUTTER
1/2 CUP WATER

MIX DRY INGREDIENTS. CUT IN BUTTER. ADD WATER, FORM DOUGH INTO A BALL, AND ROLL OUT A TOP CRUST.

http://www.handcraftsbyheather.com
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  4:25:44 PM  Show Profile
btw In the kitchen area of the forum there is a thread for suggestions for other bake over toppings. The ladies here have come up with some yummy combinations :)

Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  07:46:51 AM  Show Profile
Carol, yes, I checked it out with the people at MJF, and I knew that your facility wasn't certified kosher. However, since all you do with the chillover powder is repackage it, that's not a problem.

Lizabeth, yes, I've made the "basic crust recipe" for bakeovers, and I've even done variations of it to shake things up, such as making a cornmeal version (substitute cornmeal for half of the flour and milk for the water), an herbed version (add chopped herbs to the dough) a whole wheat version (substitute whole wheat flour for half of the white flour), etc.

Judith, I'll look more closely in the magazine and see if I can find that recipe. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
  Suggestions: Previous Topic More recipes that don't require mixes, please! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page