mulegirl
True Blue Farmgirl

184 Posts

rosemary
cottonwood pass co
USA
184 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  7:39:16 PM  Show Profile
I've made some can luminaries. First you use the cans for target practice (a 22 makes a nice size hole), and if you're a good shot you get a can full of holes, but be careful to not cut yourself. You can put them over a small log and smash the sharp areas with a hammer.
Lids? get some metal snips and cut them into fun shapes like stars, fish, butterflies, whatever, and make mobils.
I'm sorry but do you really eat spam "in a can"? Read FAST FOOD NATION and you may want to reconcider canned meat.
Enjoy,
Rosemary (not the one who wrote to Tammy)

smile, follow your heart and don't look back
http://web.mac.com/rosemaryart
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2009 :  10:49:07 PM  Show Profile
Mara, I got a great idea while I was reading your post. All summer while DH is out working ground/swathing/baling/hauling hay he takes one of those old gallon sized drink cooler full of tea. I go through several ice cube trays to try to keep his cooler cold through out the day. They idea I got was this, use the cans with a plastic lid on one end and cut the other end out, fill with water and freeze. Then if I take off the plastic lid and run under water for just a minute I should be able to produce a large cylinder of ice which shouldn't melt as fast as the regular ice cubes.

I just love getting ideas when I read what everyone else does. Now if I can just find some plastic lids for the tin cans I'll be good to go.
If anyone has an abundance, would you let me know?

Oh, and I saw this show with great idea for the tuna cans as baking pans. It was for a kids party. Take regular cake mix(mix according to directions on box) then spray cooking spray in tin cans, place on cookie sheet and 1/2 fill with cake mix, sprinkle with sesame seeds. When the cakes are done cooking remove from cans and slice in half sideways this makes a "top" and "bottom" of a "burger bun", now for the burger, use the tuna cans again sprayed and use brownie mix and fill about 1/4 of the can and cook (they cook quicker so watch them). Then you can use Kiwi for "pickles". I forgot what they used for the "lettuce, tomato, cheese", sorry. But for "ketchup" and "mustard" put food coloring in white icing and mix up and put in the picnic style of ketchup and mustard holders(you know the red one and the yellow one that are plastic). The kids can make their own "hamburgers". Oh, and I almost forgot the "french fries". Fold aluminum foil accordian style then slightly fan it out on a cookie sheet. Pour a line of yellow cake mix in each trench and bake. Then the kids can use the "ketchup" on their "french fries" also.
I don't remember what channel I was watching on TV when I saw this but I loved the idea, so creative and fun. The kids can even help make this during a party if you have enough tuna cans available. These "hamburgers and fries" were so adorable!!!!!!

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1

Edited by - Mother Hen on Apr 18 2009 11:01:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  07:47:44 AM  Show Profile
Cute ideas Cindy! I've heard of the burgers and fries before, even a hotdog cake! Those would be so fun to make!

I really like the ice cube idea. The juice I buy is old orchard and they come in plastic containers, just right for a cooler. I will remember that for this summer for sure.

I wish coffee cans came in tin cans now. I don't like the plastic ones. I keep saving them tho to take up to the shop for staples and fence clips but I would rather have a good tin can
:( ya know?

Keep the ideas comming!
Elise

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://ranchmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  08:55:32 AM  Show Profile
Elise, I totally agree about the coffee cans. The tin ones are much better for scooping grain. We don't drink coffee, but it sure was easy to have someone who did save the cans for you.

I bet if you ask a restaurant to save you some large cans they would. Some things still come in them, although not much any more.

We have a pizza place that gets their mayonnaise in square 5 gal buckets. They rinse them out and give them away with the lids that snap on. They are great for storing dried food in. I've even used them down by the barn for toting water, but since they have plastic handles they don't last as long for that job.

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  09:55:16 AM  Show Profile
I guess I will be getting the big cans of veggies and pie filling here in a month. We get them for branding and I will just have to ask the cook over at the other place to save those for me too. I want to put holes inthe top, string wire through then the kids can use them to carry. Just can't do that witht he plastic ones..

My MIL had a Blimpie store and I was always after her to save the 5 gallon pickle buckets for me, they can be useful for so many things!

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://ranchmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Try This: Previous Topic Tin Cans Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page