babs
True Blue Farmgirl

226 Posts

Babette
MN
USA
226 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  7:43:36 PM  Show Profile
I was at a garage sale today and they had a horse there that had been injured by barbed wire. The back leg was infected from lack of or in proper treatment and I'm a little upset by it's condition. I mentioned a vet and of course that was met with "if I called the vet for every little scrape I'd be living in his pocket" or some such. I grew up on a farm and I understand this is the the hard reality for a lot of farm animals.

The lacerations looked relatively minor, at a glance they appeared skin deep but there were patches of skin "missing". There was swelling in the ankle which looked unaffected otherwise. There appeared to be open infection and perhaps oozing of the wounds. The leg was greatly favored with a very obvious limp. She was kept in a separate pen with clean bedding and was taken out and the leg hosed while I was there. I imagine that is the extent of the treatment she is getting.

I had a brown china goose that had gotten beaten up by another goose and was missing the skin all the way around its neck, I wrapped it in gauze with petro carbo salve and it made a complete recovery. I don't know if the same treatment applies here. But if it's a matter of buying the proper salve or spray or whatever, I would sooner do that as I don't think the farmer can afford too much. (he's a nieghbor)

So, I guess I'm looking for advice on treatment... how would you treat this animal?

Babs

Laundry Soap at Etsy: www.mugwortmaggies.etsy.com
Connect to me on Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/mugwortmaggie

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  8:17:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well it depends on the amount of skin that is lost and how much swelling there is. I would probably at the very least, slather it in antibiotic ointment and then put a dressing on it. But I wouldn't dress it unless you know how to dress a horse's leg because if you don't do it just right you can blow the tendons. If nothing else, put the antibiotic ointment on, a non-stick gauze pad and use vet wrap at the top and the bottom to hold it on. Keep the vet wrap as loose as you can just to keep the gauze on.

It sounds like the leg really needs to be scrubbed down with an iodine scrub and then dressed. Also if there is swelling her leg probably needs soaked, but I wouldn't soak it until the skin has healed as it might be painful. You could try calling a vet and getting some general advice over the phone. Usually they won't mind doing that.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2007 :  07:10:50 AM  Show Profile
If you are really concerned they are not properly caring for the animal you could report it. It sounds as if the people aren't really interested in any advise so other than that I'm not sure what you could do.

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2007 :  3:06:37 PM  Show Profile
Welp, I have hosed skin injuries like you mentioned and had them heal without a scar even, better than Cut-Heal or stuff like that. When hosing, you use a LOT of water and for some reason it works and I've had vets tell me I did a good thing. But it's the limp that bothers me. The swelling is normal and will prob (I said 'probably') go down but still the limp. It could be the pain or internal something that you can't see. About all you can do is strongly suggest about seeing or at least calling a vet. If nothing else, to see about relieving some pain for the horse. You don't want' to relieve all pain cuz you don't want the horse to think he's 'better' and go bombing around the pen and do more damage till SOMEone knows what is wrong. Hopefully in this case, time will be the great healer as it doesn't sound like the owners want to incur vet bills, altho I can't think that the bills would be that much.

Winona :-)

Don't sweat the small stuff...

http://goneridingagain.bravehost.com

Go to Top of Page

AmyEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Amy
McPherson Kansas
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2007 :  5:43:39 PM  Show Profile
Quick suggestion it is something that we use on cuts and scrapes. Ginger root. Ginger root helps take down swelling, improves circulation and also helps with infection. My daughter had an ingrown toenail that got slightly infected we cleaned it out and made a paste of olive oil and ginger root and rubbed it in the area. It is a relatively cheap and natural way. I wonder if the limp is because is because of the pain perhaps it pulls the area that is hurt when he walks poor baby.

http://lifenkansas.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2007 :  1:48:35 PM  Show Profile
I looked in my vet book and the only thing they could do differently for infection is cleanse it with diluted betadine and add moist sterile dressings with furacin(which is cheap) on them.
And they're supposed to run water over it and redress it at least once a day. It says all foot and leg injuries should be bandaged and wrapped to keep clean. And the wrap should be watched closely for swelling and cutting off circulation. Hopefully the horse has had a tetanus vaccine.

http://diaryofafarmerswife.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  1:04:12 PM  Show Profile
Furicin and Furizone are carcinogenic. But just about every horseman has some in the cupboard.

Cold hose for the inflammation, standing bandages with saline wraps to keep it clean and reduce the formation of proud flesh, and oral SMZs (a sulfa/trimethoprim blend) is usually recommended, plus tetanus antitoxin if they haven't had the vaccine recently.

Barbed wire is NASTY stuff for a horse. I'd never allow a horse of mine to be turned out in it; it can make a horrible mess.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Horse injury question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page