Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 I just rented a space in an antiques type store
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic I just rented a space in an antiques type store Next Topic  

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  12:51:35 PM  Show Profile
I finally decided to take the plunge. It doesn't all have to be antiques, but just old looking or collectible stuff. I really love buying old dressers and things, painting them and adding things. The problem is my DH complains when I come home with more stuff, so I decided to sell it. I'm really excited about this and now I'm scouring all my families stuff.
Does anyone else do this and have any advice for me?

http://diaryofafarmerswife.blogspot.com/

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  1:18:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I started out in partners with a friend. We took one booth in a small antique mall with very low rent(on the second floor it's cheaper, also). My friend has sort of drifted away, and I'm mostly on my own. At first, I was scared to try it on my own. I don't make a lot of money, I call it my 'city girl butter and egg money'. I do pretty much what you do, as far as selling off my excess. It's working great after three years. I've found great stuff to keep and sold lots of the excess. I've made some money every month except one, and I only owed about three dollars then. I've shopped in thrift stores, yard sales, auctions and estate sales. Every time I think about giving it up, I decide I'm still having too much fun! LOL I even like tidying it up and changing it around once in a while to give it a new look. Not to mention decorating for all the different seasons. :D

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2007 :  08:23:28 AM  Show Profile
I really love decorating and can't wait to change the look of it all the time. My husband will be happy too, when I leave the house decor alone.lol I priced a jadite bowl I was given, on e-bay today and I think it is worth close to $10.
I'm going to try color themes as well as seasonal. My eye is always attracted to the booths with some sort of organized color first.
Where have you found the most "treasures"? I'm not sure the best places to look? I know all the antiquey stores and I thought if I got in a jam I could just buy some of their stuff and mark it up a bit. I'm a little nervous about keeping it full.

http://diaryofafarmerswife.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2007 :  10:18:28 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Shannon! Love this post and am so excited for you!! Janice has given you some great tips, nothing beats firsthand experience. I don't know how big Independence is, but I would also suggest keeping an eye out for library sales, where they get rid of old record albums and old books, for often pennies. With the interest in making altered art books, I bet people would buy a few even if they were never planning on reading them! Sometimes, neighborhoods are sources of pure treasure FREE FOR THE TAKING on the evening before weekly rubbish collection. My neighborhood is in a fairly big city, densely populated, and about five or six years ago my sister and I would routinely cruise my neighborhood and the two adjoining neighborhoods(more upscale) and you would not believe the things people put on the curb because they are too lazy to donate it to a charity or have a yard sale. I have really gotten some neat stuff, so don't discount that. Also if any old buildings are being torn down, and you can get permission to scavenge, old architectural details, metal pieces, numbers, interesting bricks, etc. are hot decorating items, and again, you will have gotten them for free.....pure profit! I have a freelance florist "business" and if you knew of somebody with a similar craft, they might jump at the chance to display seasonal bouquets, swags, basket arrangements, with you taking some of the sticker price. That would add a cozy feel to your booth, too. I think the more we open our eyes to possibilities, the sky is the limit. Best of luck and fun to you, and keep us posted!! Nance
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic I just rented a space in an antiques type store Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page