RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  12:41:14 PM  Show Profile
I've been thinking a lot lately - I think there is something wrong with me. I just have no urge to "keep up with the Joneses" as the saying goes. I am surrounded by people (mainly at work) who are all about having the nicest cars, houses that OTHER people will be impressed with, designer purses, etc.... I used to be like that but I've changed a lot in the last few years. Now, I end up feeling like a weirdo because I'm not concerned with what everyone else thinks. Today, I finally decided to "take a stand" and began carrying one of my Longaberger basket purses instead of worrying about carrying a "cool" purse. I'm a basket loving country girl and darnit, I'm tired of hiding it! It's just one small step but I feel liberated in a way - I'm sick of trying NOT to be me all the time! Society expects us to conform all the time and it gets very old. Anybody else feel torn between two worlds sometimes?

my blog: http://catholiccountrygirl.wordpress.com

Edited by - RachelLeigh on Aug 02 2007 1:04:46 PM

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  1:00:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh there is nothing Wrong with you! I know what you mean about being pulled in two different directions though.

Maybe you will be a good influence on others who secretly feel the same way you do.

I have a personal theory:

You know how a smile can be contagious and if everyone keeps smiling- slowly the smile spreads around the world? Well I have a feeling that showing your farmgirl roots is the same way.

I mean who doesn't want to:
Be comfortable in their own skin
Have an outlet to be creative and follow their dreams
be loving towards others and recieve that love back 10 fold
be resourcesful and self sufficient

Because that is what being a farmgirl is all about. You _can_ still be a farmgirl at heart and wear Prada or whatever, if that is your personality, but that just means the "farmgirl" part is going to come out in some other way! :) Maybe some of your co-workers are the Prada wearing farmgirls :)

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  1:05:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Rachel I feel the same way. I live out in the country & well all the mothers of my kids' friends are "dairyqueens". Fake tan, nails, hair, nice clothes big SUVs or BMWs. I have an nice car, but definately not up to their "standards". And you know what I have no desire to be in debt up to my eyesballs. I dont want a fake tan and nails. My nails get dirty, I wouldnt waste 25bucks a pop, to dirty them. Or 50 bucks a month to have my hair colored. I am me, with my home made purses, my stuff I make. I am me and you are you, be proud.

Mommy to 2
Your FreckleFaced Farm Girl!!
Help when you can, Pray when you can't.
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  1:05:27 PM  Show Profile
Not a THING is wrong with you, gal pal! And I think you can substitute the word "weirdo" with "individual". The French have a great expression (probably most other cultures do also) about being "comfortable in your skin". Being confident, content, and self assured; sometimes it feels awkward when you are developing your sense of style, sense of self, and first begin to display it, because you fear your peers (their reactions). I can relate! But the more you peel off the outer layers and get down to the real you, the more your innate "you" will exude itself naturally and without hesitation. And there is nothing more beautiful (and sexy) than a happy confident chick. So I say go for it. You're not taking a stand, so much as simply being yourself.

Now pack that PB&J, cell phone, and Wall Street Journal in your basket and get back out there!! You go girlfriend! Nance
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  1:44:37 PM  Show Profile
Good for you wierdo. Welcome to the Club

I know exactly how you feel. It's hard walking with one foot in the business world and one in the country. As we mature, not just get older, I think we move away from what is meaningless - like you said "keeping up with the Jones", and toward what brings us contentment and joy.

I went through the same thing a few years ago. I realized that trying to incorporate all the fluffy feel good crap that most women do now a days was keeping me away from the things I really enjoyed doing - my animals, my gardens and travel. Now I just feel sorry for most women because they are using all that stuff as therapy for an unfulfilled life. Good for you though. You sound liberated and joyful.

BTW - after a while I found that women at work were becoming jealous because of my attitude change and my simplified life. I wasn't over scheduled, over taxed or over extended. There's just no pleasing some people
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  2:01:52 PM  Show Profile
Can I relate to this! I worked for a time at our utility company where designer clothes and designer dogs and red velvet draperies were what MADE you a worthy person. Needless to say, I was a fish out of water and very much made to feel I was below the "standard". But as I got older, I learned to care less and less. I am always clean, neat and tidy and am now comfortable with who I am. They can have their credit cards and latest technology and cars, etc. etc. ad nauseum. I certainly don't have the stress with keeping up with the Joneses that they do and I don't envy them all a bit. I think that drove most of them crazier than me wearing a homemade <gasp!> dress!
Di
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  3:03:30 PM  Show Profile
Rachel- There's not a darn thing wrong with you, Sweetie!! Stand up and be proud- YOU are your own woman!!

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  4:05:04 PM  Show Profile
Well.. forgive me for noticing..
But.. i did..
You haven't COMPLETELY completely come to the dark side..
Of doing things for yourself.. The way you feel is entirely right for you & yours just yet.. By just enjoying life around you and not worrying about what everyone else thinks or says about you.. keeping up with all the latest trends.. & the jones'es.. & all their silly simple self important nonsense..

i know this Because my dear girl.. You didn't just say.. "I am over trying to keep up with all the girls at work with their designer purses & i have decided fooey on that.. I've started taking a nice little basket to work now.. to hold all my things!"
You said..
You decided to "take a stand.. & carry one of your Longaberger basket purses" If this isn't a "designer" basket.. i'm confussed..
To me.. in the world of baskets.. THIS is THE Mack DADDY of DESIGNER BASKETS.. Is it not?

Not meant to be mean sweetie.. I guess what I'm getting at is.. If your steering away from that 'lable'.. then why do you need to put a name on it?
Why not simply say.. "I'm tired of the lables & the name brand purses that I've been made to feel i need to carry.. i've decided I'm going to carry a nice little basket to work from now on.. "

We don't need to know that by steering away from a designer hand bag.. you've now opted for a designer basket instead..

Do you see where I'm going with that?
& really i'm not trying to pick apart what you said.. I really love the fact that you've decided to go against the grain.. but it doesn't work if you just hop into a different field of Grain..
You Know?

love ya Kiddo..

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  4:22:34 PM  Show Profile
Rachel,I know exeactly what you are talking about. My son has just graduated from high school and all I hear about is, buying him a car, catering the graduation party, renting the tent! I was in tears on graduation day because I felt like such a loser! What was I thinking! People somehow get under your skin. But, it is your skin after all, don't let them get to you! By the way, I take a Longerberger basket to work every day. Holds all my 'essentials' and will never go out of style!
Chin up girl!
Angie.

"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  4:29:45 PM  Show Profile
You're right, Kathie. I always say "Longaberger" baskets out of habit because I was a Longaberger consultant for several years and the phrase has become a habit. I say "Longaberger basket" like some people say "Kleenex tissue" or "Xerox copier." It's part of my lexicon. I apologize if using that word invalidates the rest of what I said.
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  4:39:48 PM  Show Profile
Your Such a Sweet heart..
& You know i wasn't saying it to be a brat..
But you did get where i was with it..

& I do see what your saying too..
Like.. 'Hand me a Q-tip please" well they aren't ALL 'Q' tip brands really are they..
or.. some people even say they want a coke.. when really they don't care.. they just want a dark soda..
So.. I gotcha!!

Lucky you to have some of these beautiful baskets!!!
& you don't have to apologize to me Kiddo!!
I know i came across as a hateful shrew.. But i'm really not..
Just noticing the 'title'.. & me & my big mouth of course.. had to mention it..

Hugs from me!!

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  5:20:29 PM  Show Profile
Your key words "I am not concerned with what everyone else thinks". Just go with your own style! Be true to you! Be not "of the world but in the world".

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

The Beehive Cottage~
est. 1971
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  5:29:29 PM  Show Profile
I think everyone else has pretty much said what I would say. I feel the same way. I have always said as long as I am happy and feel good about myself it doesn't amtter what anyone else thinks.

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  9:58:55 PM  Show Profile
I have never much fit in either, and I guess I tend to be fine with that. I carried a basket purse for years and years (sold them twice!!) and love them. I have been carrying a handmade tote all summer (Knewslady made it!!) and will be back to my basket purse when school starts again I am sure.
You hang in there. YOU are the normal one. Nothing normal about fancy folk..haha

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  10:19:48 PM  Show Profile
You be who you are, that's who we all care about anyway!
Sharon
PS I love those baskets. Yes, they are the "MacDaddy" of baskets, but also the workhorsed of baskets!

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  11:59:48 PM  Show Profile
Radchel isn't the journey interesting how we learn to be ourselves. I am still learning and I am 50. I have to say there are days I like myself and days I sure do wonder!!!! You aren't doing anything wrong yu are just discovering what you are really all about. Jump in the boat, we are all learning.
Carol Sue

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2007 :  07:22:40 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Rachel- you are so not alone. Funny story- My DS started daycare this week and I showed up in flip flops, my Texas State T-shirt and cropped jean pants, with dog hair, baby goo and other stuff attached. They thought I was overdressed!! In CA, where I lived, the daycare center kids were dressed in the latest greatest and it was all about competition. I have only been in Texas a short time and already, I am more relaxed and fit in better. I went to the store and saw all kinds on farm owners/workers/people with their cowboys boots on and cowboy hats, some covered in dirt. They do drive big pick up trucks, but that is because they use them on the farm. The only place that is fancy so far is the college, but I think it is necessary there. Be yourself and the world will still love you!!

Cheers,

Heather
Go to Top of Page

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2007 :  11:55:57 AM  Show Profile
I never fit in either! My truck, my clothes, my kids and my finger nails are always dirty know matter what I do. Sometimes it makes me feel bad, after I get to town and notice. Ooh the worst is when you have poop on your high heels, because you had to feed real fast before left.

http://diaryofafarmerswife.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Love-in-a-Mist on Aug 03 2007 11:57:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shirlaroo
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Shirley

Australia
297 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2007 :  9:48:05 PM  Show Profile
I have always been uncool, but have always had enough friends and family to love me for who I am. If people look down on you for not wearing designer wear, they are probably not worth knowing any way.

Friends are the best collectables.

Edited by - Shirlaroo on Aug 03 2007 9:50:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2007 :  11:31:34 PM  Show Profile
Isn't it funny how we grow and change and find our own place in the world? I just got back from visiting my very bestest friend (since I was eleven!) whom I haven't seen in almost a year, and it amazed me how she went one way and I went the other. Sure we both can still chat for hours, but she spends tons of cash every month on scores of hip shoes and pretty dresses and I can't even remember the last time I bought a piece of new clothing. (I think it may have been sometime around the new year??) She is about hustle and bustle and keeping current on everything, and I'm woefully behind and old-fashioned. Does it bother me? Not one little bit. It's all about getting comfortable in your own skin and being happy about it.
And don't worry a fig about the basket, I've been carrying a french market basket around for years as a purse, and I've only ever gotten compliments!

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2007 :  12:48:46 AM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
I'm dealing with that too with some of my best friends. They are truly sweet ladies, but seem too easily caught up in all of that stuff. ($20 for a Brighton keychain?!?) I never was a designer person and never will be, grew up on a farm and everything, and even if our family had the same income as them, I'd still be me and not have all of that stuff. It's a struggle to try not to feel inadequate when trying to be yourself, but keep at it! The world needs more people who aren't afraid to go against the "norm"! :)

Katee

A life without love is like a year without summer.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic What is wrong with me? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page