knewslady
True Blue Farmgirl

555 Posts

Kathy
Russellville KY
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  03:02:15 AM  Show Profile
I have read often about you ladies taking your wares to the garden market to sell. I would just like to say you don't know how lucky you are that your garden market will let you bring these type of items to sell. Mine here won't allow ANY type of a craft at all. It's strictly produce, jellies and canned vegetables. Whosoever is in the power seat won't even budge on the matter.
Kathy

Will always be a farmgirl at heart
Visit my online shop at http://thebackfence.etsy.com

Mag
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

Margaret
Mount Vernon OH
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  04:11:45 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kathy,

Our farmers market has the same kind of rule. We do take our produce in to sell but I would love to offer some handmade aprons or crochet dishclothes for sale as well. These things would still be in line with kitchen type things so I don't see why this would not be alright. I guess they don't want our farmers market to turn into a craft show.

cheers,
mag
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  09:08:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think it is silly when Farmer's Markets don't allow anything but food. Here in Moscow our Farmer's Market is very very popular because it allows crafts, there is also a Grower's Market every tuesday night at our Co-Op but I don't think it is as popular because they only do produce.

For you ladies who can't take homemade items to the Farmer's Market- could you organize a craft and produce market in your town? Maybe you could do a poll of the other vendors and see if they would be willing to participate?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  9:04:38 PM  Show Profile
Alee has a point--at the farmer's market, give out handbills about the craft fair. Make it at the same location, or some place close by if you can. If folks are familiar with an area, they're likely to come back.

Here, in Boone County, they have an art/craft show going on at the same time as the farmers market. It's all part of the Kentucky Cooperative Extension Service.

Oh, boo, Kathy, just come on up to Northern Kentucky!!!!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

knewslady
True Blue Farmgirl

555 Posts

Kathy
Russellville KY
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  12:58:50 AM  Show Profile
That doesn't sound like a bad idea to tell you the truth Jonni.
Kathy

Will always be a farmgirl at heart
Visit my online shop at http://thebackfence.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  08:28:03 AM  Show Profile
Have you brought it up to the board that runs it? I'm sure others agree with you, maybe you could run them out or get on the board. Ours just has a rule that it has to be handmade or grown and the board has to approve it. They don't want it to turn into a garage sale. I bet that's what they are worried about, maybe you can change their mind. We sell quilts and aprons and all kinds of stuff.

http://diaryofafarmerswife.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  09:43:01 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I am an assistant manager of our local market.. we do allow crafts and they are very popular... you may want to go to your state "farmers market bi-laws" and address it from that angle.. sometimes it is sad to admit - their only reason is "it hasnt been done before".....maybe show them that other markets are doing it and finding success....I would google farmers market, find your state and grab the state rules.. then find neigboring markets that allow crafts and get there stats :)... we often forget that crafts and other handmade items are as "farmer" as the yummy produce.. good Luck!, as big a head ache as all this is.. you would be offering a great service to vender and shopper if you can get them to change thier minds...

Rene'~Farm Girl
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure......"
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Garden markets Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page