Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 For those without a farm, yet.- Pictures added
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic For those without a farm, yet.- Pictures added Next Topic  

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  2:13:50 PM  Show Profile
I just wanted to share an idea with you. My friend's mother has a house in town. Every year she hires a tractor guy to come and till up the whole yard, except for a few perennials. Then she turns her yard into a garden. The whole thing, there is no grass anywhere. My friend comes home to help her make beds, lay out soaker hoses, and plant every year. Then she even plants cover crops for the winter, Fava beans last year.
I have to return a dish to her, so I will take a picture to show you guys as soon as I do. She has her own farm in town, I love walking on the paths and seeing what is growing. Last time I was there they hadn't tilled yet and there was volunteer poppies and bachelor buttons everywhere.

http://diaryofafarmerswife.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Love-in-a-Mist on Aug 03 2007 11:37:24 AM

janetinva123
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Janet
newport news va
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  2:55:35 PM  Show Profile
I've always thought growing gass was a waste of time and effort. if you can eat it or put it in a vase then don't grow in my yard.

Jc
http://beloved-creations.blogspot.com
http://beloved-creations.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  3:11:45 PM  Show Profile
A friend of mine always said 'Grass is only good for holding down the dirt until you plant a garden'. So true. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  3:21:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
LOL-

Well now, I like grass for putting Nora down and letting her play. I like the feeling of walking around barefoot in good grass- but a little patch of grass fills my desire for grass- most everything else is best to be a garden!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  9:03:37 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
That is neat what your mom does! I can't wait to see a picture! Thank you for sharing!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Shirlaroo
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Shirley

Australia
297 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  12:05:14 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like a very pretty garden. Can't wait to see the pic. I have kikuyu grass in my yard. It is a pain in the grass (with out the G). It gets all through my beds. Good for the cows, but not for my garden.

Friends are the best collectables.

Edited by - Shirlaroo on Aug 02 2007 12:07:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  05:42:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Really creative idea, Shannon. I'll be looking forward to the pics!

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  12:39:24 PM  Show Profile
Here's some pictures, there is even more around the back too. She could easily make money at farmer's market with this too. Just a thought.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  12:54:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
wow!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2007 :  5:36:37 PM  Show Profile
That is a WOW. I have always thought a row of potatoes across the front would look nice because they have such pretty flowers. White, pink and bluey purple. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Shirlaroo
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Shirley

Australia
297 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2007 :  12:02:03 AM  Show Profile
Those pictures are so impressive. What a great garden.

Friends are the best collectables.
Go to Top of Page

mkmomus
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Merle
Greensboro NC
248 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2007 :  08:32:57 AM  Show Profile
WOW! What a great garden. That inspires me. I live in NC and we have clay. I think next year (if I am still in this house) I will have raised beds, of course I don't think it will look like that yet. Thanks fo the pics.
Merle
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2007 :  4:40:13 PM  Show Profile
In Colorado, water is at a premium. My husband thought wasting water on a lawn was
obscene, so he built several raised garden beds for me, and now we just have a little patch down the center of our yard to mow. When we first moved into the house it was all lawn~now it's all vegetable/herb/fruit/flower gardens and grape arbors. Took a while to get it all constructed, but oh, so worth it!!
Your friend's mom is doing a wonderful thing!!

http://www.bonne1313.homestead.com/spiritspace.html
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  06:29:58 AM  Show Profile
That's a really great idea! You are making use of rain water effectively, without going to waste...and getting a functional garden to boot. Not only that, it looks beautiful! I think it's a good way to prevent erosion and water run off. I'm not sure, but I think I read somewhere about rain gardens. Some areas are encouraging residents to plant them to conserve rain water. Thanks for the photos!

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  08:44:10 AM  Show Profile
Bonne, I just went home to Colorado. After having my gardens and flowers here, I noticed hardly anyone had flowers, not alone gardens from Idaho-Colorado(except, Vernal, Utah. Vernal, even had a yard contest every month that was announced on the radio)
When I asked my family members about it, they all claimed because there wasn't enough water. Then I watched them water there lawns for a couple hours everyday. I'm glad some people GET IT!

Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  11:24:22 AM  Show Profile
Shannon, sometimes depends on where you are from. If you're used to plentiful water and move to a dry area, you either adapt or hang on to your old way of living and go against nature. My hubby is 4th generation Coloradoan and it's a way of life to xeriscape to him. Most of the Rocky Mountain West is semi-arid, and it's a crime to squander precious resources just to foster a desire to have a big bluegrass lawn. Some folks think if they can pay for something, it's all good. pffsstt!!! I think most everyone that frequents this forum has a deep respect for the land, so I'm most likely singing to the choir~ROFL!!

http://www.bonne1313.homestead.com/spiritspace.html
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  1:59:41 PM  Show Profile
Shannon,
That is so cool! Kudos to you & your mom, you truly will reap the benefites of a productive garden.
tata-4-now

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
www.katmom4.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic For those without a farm, yet.- Pictures added Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page